BBC’s Middle East online editor sues Owen Jones over Gaza bias allegations

Raffi Berg, the BBC’s Middle East online editor, has launched legal action against British journalist Owen Jones over an article that alleged institutional bias in the broadcaster’s coverage of the conflict in Gaza. (Reuters/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 06 November 2025
Follow

BBC’s Middle East online editor sues Owen Jones over Gaza bias allegations

  • Raffi Berg files High Court libel claim against journalist following article alleging pro-Israel bias in BBC’s coverage

LONDON: Raffi Berg, the BBC’s Middle East online editor, has launched legal action against British journalist Owen Jones over an article that alleged institutional bias in the broadcaster’s coverage of the conflict in Gaza, it was revealed on Thursday.

Court documents filed at the High Court show Berg is suing Jones for libel over the piece— The BBC’s Civil War Over Gaza — published on the Drop Site website in December last year.

The article cited claims from 13 BBC employees who, speaking anonymously, accused Berg of “playing a key role in a wider BBC culture of systematic Israeli propaganda.”

It further alleged that he reshaped headlines and story text to “foreground the Israeli military perspective while stripping away Palestinian humanity.”

Berg, who has worked at the BBC since 2001 and served as Middle East editor for its news website for 12 years, strongly denies the accusations.

In court filings seen by the UK’s Press Association, Berg’s barrister, John Stables, said the allegations “strike at the claimant’s professional reputation as a journalist and editor,” and have led to “an onslaught of hatred, intimidation and threats,” including death threats directed at Berg following the article’s publication.

Stables added that the BBC had introduced additional workplace security measures for Berg, and that police were investigating the threats.

“The claimant’s reputation has been seriously damaged and he has been caused substantial fear, anxiety, humiliation, upset and distress,” Stables said, adding that the impact had been “greatly exacerbated” by Jones’ refusal to apologize or remove the article.

Berg is seeking damages, an injunction preventing the article’s republication, and a court order requiring that it be removed from all websites.

In response, Jones said he “strongly disagreed” with Berg’s claims and looked forward to “vigorously defending” his reporting in court if necessary.

The article claimed the BBC faced an “internal revolt” over its reporting on Gaza, alleging that concerns from staff about editorial balance had been “repeatedly brushed aside.”

It also asserted that “facts unfavorable to Israel have been stripped out of Berg’s reports.”

Following its publication, an online petition called for the BBC to suspend Berg, and protesters reportedly targeted the corporation’s offices in January.

Separately, a leaked internal memo seen by British media this week alleged that the BBC’s Arabic news service had sought to “minimize Israeli suffering” in its coverage of the conflict in Gaza in order to portray Israel as the aggressor.

The 19-page whistleblowing document said the Arabic service, partly funded by the UK’s Foreign Office, gave extensive coverage to Hamas statements and maintained an editorial tone “considerably different” from that of the main BBC website, despite supposed alignment on editorial standards.


Journalist working for German media arrested in Turkiye

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Journalist working for German media arrested in Turkiye

  • A Turkish journalist working for the German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW) has been arrested on accusations of “spreading false news” and “insulting the president“

ISTANBUL: A Turkish journalist working for the German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW) has been arrested on accusations of “spreading false news” and “insulting the president,” the Istanbul prosecutor’s office has said.
Alican Uludag was arrested in Ankara on Thursday, the office said, on charges stemming from posts on a social media account.
Uludag’s lawyer said the journalist was being targeted for articles written for DW about the repatriation of Turkish citizens affiliated with the Daesh group.
“Alican Uludag was taken into custody (...) because of his article entitled ‘Turkiye Prepares to Repatriate Turkish Citizens Affiliated with the Islamic State’,” said attorney Tora Pekin.
Deutsche Welle said late Thursday that the “charges refer to a message published on X about a year and a half ago” in which Uludag “criticized measures taken by the Turkish government that allegedly led to the release of possible Daesh terrorists” and “accused the government of corruption.”
He was “arrested and taken away in front of his family by about thirty police officers. His home was searched and computer equipment was seized,” it said.
He is due to appear before prosecutors in Istanbul on Friday, the prosecutor’s office said.
According to a representative of Reporters Without Borders (RSF), Erol Onderoglu, “the arrest of Alican Uludag is part of a process of judicial harassment against serious journalists.”
The media watchdog group denounced “the relentless arbitrary practices that are now targeting a journalist who may have disturbed the authorities because of his investigations.”
DW chief Barbara Massing demanded Uludag’s immediate release.
“That a journalist is treated like a common criminal, taken away by some thirty police officers and immediately transferred to Istanbul, constitutes targeted intimidation and shows the extent to which the government is massively repressing press freedom,” she said in a statement.