Pakistan to resume peace talks in Istanbul as tensions rise with Kabul over militant attacks

A Taliban security personnel stands guard along a road near the Ghulam Khan zero-point border crossing between Afghanistan and Pakistan in Gurbuz district of Khost province, Afghanistan, on October 20, 2025. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 30 October 2025
Follow

Pakistan to resume peace talks in Istanbul as tensions rise with Kabul over militant attacks

  • Talks mediated by Turkiye, Qatar ended without agreement as Pakistan accused Kabul of refusing to curb TTP militants 
  • Afghanistan denies the charge, saying it has no control over the militant group blamed for recent attacks on Pakistani troops

ISLAMABAD: Islamabad has agreed to extend peace talks with the Afghan Taliban in Istanbul at the request of its hosts, a security official said on Thursday, adding that negotiations would continue on Islamabad’s key demand that Kabul take “clear, verifiable and effective action” against militants using Afghan soil for attacks inside Pakistan.

Talks between representatives from Pakistan and Afghanistan, which were mediated by Turkiye and Qatar, began on Oct. 25 but ended without agreement earlier this week, with Islamabad accusing the Taliban administration of unwillingness to commit to rein in the Pakistani Taliban (TTP), a separate militant group hostile to Pakistan that Islamabad says operates with impunity inside Afghanistan. Kabul denies this and insists it has no control over the TTP, which has launched increasing attacks against Pakistani troops in recent weeks.

Negotiations opened after dozens were killed this month along the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan in the worst such violence since the Taliban took power in Kabul in 2021. Both nations agreed to a ceasefire brokered in Doha on October 19, but could not find common ground in a second round of talks.

“On the request of our hosts / friends, Pakistan has agreed to extend the dialogue process. Accordingly, the Pakistani delegation, which was prepared to depart, will now remain in Istanbul to resume the negotiations,” a Pakistani security official said, declining to be named. 

“The talks will be based on Pakistan’s central demand that Afghanistan take clear, verifiable and effective action against terrorists. Pakistan has once again stressed that Afghan soil should not be used for terrorism against Pakistan. We appreciate the constructive role of our hosts and remain committed to seeking a peaceful resolution in good faith.”

State-run Pakistan TV Digital, citing “well-placed sources,” also confirmed that the Pakistani delegation had decided to stay in Istanbul to resume talks on the request of Türkiye.

The decision to extend talks comes as Pakistani leaders delivered a series of strongly worded statements after the breakdown of talks. 

“We will carry out strikes,” Pakistan’s Defense Minister Khawaja Asif told reporters at Parliament House in Islamabad on Wednesday, when asked what options Pakistan would avail if cross-border attacks continued.

“We will certainly do it if their territory is used and if our territory is violated, if we have to go deep into Afghanistan to retaliate, we certainly will.”

The defense minister’s statement followed an earlier one on X on Wednesday, in which he warned that Pakistan would “obliterate” the Taliban if it did not curb militant activity. 

“Let me assure them [Afghan authorities] that Pakistan does not require to employ even a fraction of its full arsenal to completely obliterate the Taliban regime and push them back to the caves for hiding,” Asif wrote.

“If they wish so, the repeat of the scenes of their rout at Tora Bora with their tails between the legs would surely be a spectacle to watch for the people of the region.”

Asif’s reference to Tora Bora alluded to the US bombardment of Taliban and Al-Qaeda fighters in Afghanistan’s White Mountains in late 2001, when many militants fled into Pakistan following the fall of the Taliban regime after the September 11 attacks.

Asif also accused the Taliban of “blindly pushing Afghanistan into yet another conflict” to sustain a war economy, and alleged that archrival and neighboring India was exploiting divisions within the regime.

“The government in Kabul has been penetrated by India, and India has started a proxy war against Pakistan through Kabul,” he told a local TV channel on Tuesday.

Pakistan has long blamed India for backing militant networks, including the TTP, a charge New Delhi denies.


Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia

  • Pakistan and New Zealand will clash in Colombo on Saturday as the second “Super Eights” phase of the T20 World Cup kicks off
  • India carry hopes of millions of cricket-obsessed fans of winning back-to-back T20 World Cups and lifting the trophy on home soil

Kolkata: Pakistan and New Zealand will clash in Colombo on Saturday as the second “Super Eights” phase of the T20 World Cup kicks off without former champions Australia, who shockingly failed to make it out of their group.

Instead, surprise packages Zimbabwe, who did not even qualify in 2024, topped Group B after a stunning unbeaten campaign where they not only beat Australia but also co-hosts Sri Lanka.

An injury-depleted Australia endured a chaotic campaign and failed to make the second phase of the T20 World Cup for the first time since 2009.

Australia’s acerbic media did not hold back in their criticism, citing selection “stuff-ups” and “shambolic” preparations, including a 3-0 pre-tournament series loss in Pakistan, for the embarrassment.

Australia coach Andrew McDonald admitted his players were “devastated” but any inquest into the failure would only begin “when we exit the shores here.”

India, the world number one-ranked T20 side, are hot favorites to retain their crown on home soil.

However, in the second round they face a tough rematch of the 2024 final against an in-form South Africa in Ahmedabad at a packed 130,000-capacity Narendra Modi stadium on Sunday.

Both teams came through the first round phase with four wins from four.

India are on a 12-match unbeaten run at the T20 World Cup, stretching back to their defeat in the semifinal against eventual winners England in 2022.

No team has won back-to-back T20 World Cups or lifted the trophy on home soil, and India have the hopes of hundreds of million of cricket-obsessed fans on their shoulders.

But India have not been consistent and have a problem at the top of the order with their number one-ranked batter Abhishek Sharma recording three consecutive ducks.

Their batting has looked shaky and India were 77-6 against the United States before coming through to win.

Also in Super Eights Group 1 are Zimbabwe and the West Indies, who meet in Mumbai on Monday, with all that group’s games being hosted in India.

ENGLAND YET TO FIRE

The West Indies toppled England convincingly in the group phase and the two-time champions have all-round strength in depth.

They won the T20 World Cup the last time it was hosted in India, in 2016, and have started in clinical fashion, winning all four group games.

They will be extremely wary of Zimbabwe, whose colorful band of traveling supporters have had plenty to cheer so far. Even a washout against Ireland could not dampen their spirits.

In Sri Lanka, Group 2 pits the co-hosts against England, Pakistan and New Zealand.

The top two from each group will advance to the semifinals.

Pakistan were the last team to secure their berth. They did so by beating Namibia by 102 runs, with captain Salman Agha calling it a “complete performance” as they bounced back from a group defeat to bitter rivals India.

Another pre-tournament fancy, England stumbled through their group matches in Mumbai and Kolkata, losing to the only Test-playing side they faced, the West Indies.

Harry Brook’s side were unconvincing in wins against minnows Nepal, Scotland and finally Italy, who were making their World Cup debut.

But they return to a happy hunting ground in Kandy to face Sri Lanka on Sunday at a venue where England swept a T20 series 3-0 this month, with Sam Curran taking a hat-trick along the way.

Their top order needs to find form, with explosive openers Jos Buttler and Phil Salt yet to make a telling score and Brook failing to fire.

Sri Lanka have also been hot and cold.

Pathum Nissanka scored a superb century on Monday to all but end Australia’s tournament.

But they lost to Zimbabwe in their final group game, although Nissanka was in the runs again with 62.