Trump declares victory against climate ‘hoax’ after Bill Gates comments

US President Donald Trump poses for a photo with Michael Gierges, president of Climate Solutions Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, for Carrier during a dinner event with business leaders in Tokyo, Japan, on Oct. 28, 2025. (AP photo)
Short Url
Updated 30 October 2025
Follow

Trump declares victory against climate ‘hoax’ after Bill Gates comments

  • “Bill Gates has finally admitted that he was completely WRONG on the issue,” Trump said on his Truth Social platform
  • Microsoft co-founder Gates has said climate change would have “serious” consequences on Earth but “will not lead to humanity’s demise”

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump claimed victory Wednesday over what he called the “hoax” of climate change, after billionaire philanthropist Bill Gates said a warming world would not end civilization.
“I (WE!) just won the War on the Climate Change Hoax. Bill Gates has finally admitted that he was completely WRONG on the issue,” Trump said on his Truth Social platform.
“It took courage to do so, and for that we are all grateful.”
Microsoft co-founder Gates said in a long memo this week that climate change “will not lead to humanity’s demise,” in what was seen as a major pivot by the 70-year-old.

 

Gates added that while climate change would have “serious” consequences, “people will be able to live and thrive in most places on Earth for the foreseeable future.”
He argued that tackling global disease and poverty would instead help prepare the planet’s poorest for a warming world.
Gates acknowledged that critics may charge him with hypocrisy because of his significant carbon footprint or argue the memo was a “sneaky way of arguing that we shouldn’t take climate change seriously.”
But he pointed to significant progress in cutting emissions to date, and said he was optimistic future technology would do so even more.
Trump has been a long-term skeptic on environmental issues and trashed climate change as the “greatest con job ever” in an address to the UN General Assembly in September.
The Republican has rolled back green policies since returning to power in January, following a victorious 2024 election campaign that received hundreds of millions of dollars on donations from Big Oil.


 


Federal judge rules Kilmar Abrego Garcia can’t be re-detained by immigration authorities

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Federal judge rules Kilmar Abrego Garcia can’t be re-detained by immigration authorities

  • Abrego Garcia has an American wife and child and has lived in Maryland for years

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement cannot re-detain Kilmar Abrego Garcia because a 90-day detention period has expired and the government has no viable plan for deporting him, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday.
The Salvadoran national’s case has become a focal point in the immigration debate after he was mistakenly deported to his home country last year. Since his return, he has been fighting a second deportation to a series of African countries proposed by Department of Homeland Security officials.
The government “made one empty threat after another to remove him to countries in Africa with no real chance of success,” U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis, in Maryland, wrote in her Tuesday order. “From this, the Court easily concludes that there is no ‘good reason to believe’ removal is likely in the reasonably foreseeable future.”
Homeland Security did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.
Abrego Garcia has an American wife and child and has lived in Maryland for years, but he immigrated to the U.S. illegally as a teenager. In 2019, an immigration judge ruled that he could not be deported to El Salvador because he faced danger there from a gang that had threatened his family. By mistake, he was deported there anyway last year.
Facing public pressure and a court order, President Donald Trump’s administration brought him back in June, but only after securing an indictment charging him with human smuggling in Tennessee. He has pleaded not guilty. Meanwhile, Trump officials have said he cannot stay in the U.S. In court filings, officials have said they intended to deport him to Uganda, Eswatini, Ghana, and Liberia.
In her Tuesday order, Xinis noted the government has “purposely — and for no reason — ignored the one country that has consistently offered to accept Abrego Garcia as a refugee, and to which he agrees to go.” That country is Costa Rica.
Abrego Garcia's attorney, Simon Sandoval-Moshenberg, argued in court that immigration detention is not supposed to be a punishment. Immigrants can only be detained as a way to facilitate their deportation and cannot be held indefinitely with no viable deportation plan.
“Since Judge Xinis ordered Mr. Abrego Garcia released in mid-December, the government has tried one trick after another to try to get him re-detained,” Sandoval-Moshenberg wrote in an email on Tuesday. “In her decision today, she recognized that if the government were truly trying to remove Mr. Abrego Garcia from the United States, they would have sent him to Costa Rica long before today.”
The government should now engage in a good-faith effort to work out the details of removal to Costa Rica, Sandoval-Moshenberg wrote.