Gaza teen ‘stuck in hell’ trying to reach UK to study 

Dania Alafranji, 2nd right, with her mother and sisters. (Hayat Ghalayini)
Short Url
Updated 28 October 2025
Follow

Gaza teen ‘stuck in hell’ trying to reach UK to study 

  • Dania Alafranji, 16, accepted to study in England but cannot get a visa
  • Her mother, who lives in Manchester, feels ‘completely helpless’

LONDON: A Palestinian teenager has said she is “stuck in hell” after being denied the chance to leave Gaza and join her mother in the UK.

Dania Alafranji, 16, was offered a place to study in England at Reddam House school 18 months ago but has yet to be given a UK visa. She has studied online in Gaza for two years and hopes to pursue a career in cybersecurity.

Alafranji was set to travel to the UK under the Nsouli Scholars Programme, but her family has since been “going in circles” trying to get her out of Gaza, where she cannot pursue her education because of the war.

“Everything was relatively normal, then suddenly we found ourselves stuck in hell,” she told The Guardian. “We can’t learn here, 90 percent of the schools and universities here have been destroyed, and the rest are used as shelters. The war is not my fault, and it’s not the fault of the other 600,000 Gazan students.”

She described Gaza as being “like an oven, and the fire is burning us not just from the outside but the inside as well.”

So far, the UK has only accepted students from Gaza on the Chevening Scholarship scheme, which is a one-year program for university-age students.

But Alafranji’s family said in the past the UK allowed students from warzones under the age of 18 to study in the country, including from Ukraine.

Several students from Gaza the same age as Alafranji have been accepted to study in other European countries such as Italy, Belgium, Ireland and France.

Alafranji’s mother Hayat Ghalayini lives in the English city of Manchester, having managed to flee Gaza in the early days of the war. She has not seen her daughter since she was 14.

Ghalayini said she feels “completely helpless” trying to get her daughter to the UK, with officials doing little to aid her plight.

“They say that because she does not have a visa she cannot come, but she cannot get those things without leaving Gaza,” she told The Guardian.

“In order for Dania to get a visa, she needed to submit some biometrics. But because of war there were no means for her to get those biometrics through,” she added.

“It’s a catch-22, we are just going in circles. A lot of people in the Home Office have children, and if they could just look at it from a strictly humanitarian perspective, they’d see a 16-year-old who is scared and in danger, and just wants to learn and be safe,” she said.

“If they could just give me a reason, then I would be happy with that, but she’s just a girl whose whole education has been halted.

“They did the same for the Ukrainian children. They did the same for children from other areas of war, children who had no connections to the UK. I just don’t understand, why can’t they help my daughter?”


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.