French president orders tighter security as Louvre reopens doors

Visitors queue to enter the Louvre museum in Paris, three days after historic jewels were stolen in a daring daylight heist, on Oct. 22, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 22 October 2025
Follow

French president orders tighter security as Louvre reopens doors

  • The world’s most visited museum, whose extensive collection includes the Mona Lisa, last year welcomed nine million people to its extensive hallways and galleries

PARIS: French President Emmanuel Macron Wednesday ordered stepped-up security measures at the Louvre, as the Paris museum reopened its doors days after a shocking daytime heist.

The reopening comes hours before the museum’s director is set to face a grilling by senators to explain how thieves made off with an estimated 88 million euros ($102 million) in jewels from the world-famous museum.

The heist has renewed scrutiny of security measures in French museums, after two were hit by thefts last month.

During a Wednesday meeting of cabinet ministers, Macron ordered a “speeding up” of security measures at the Louvre, government spokeswoman Maude Bregeon said.

Scores of investigators are looking for the culprits, working on the theory that it was an organized crime group that clambered up a ladder on a truck to break into the museum, then dropped a diamond-studded crown as they fled.

The investigation “is progressing”, Interior Minister Laurent Nunez told local media on Wednesday, saying “more than 100 investigators” had been mobilized.

“I have full confidence, that’s for sure, that we will find the perpetrators,” he said.

The thieves made off with eight pieces, including an emerald-and-diamond necklace that Napoleon I gave his wife Empress Marie-Louise and a diadem that once belonged to the Empress Eugenie, which is dotted with nearly 2,000 diamonds.

Calling the financial loss “extraordinary”, Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau said the greater damage was to France’s historical heritage.

Disappointed tourists were turned away at the entrance of the Louvre in the heart of Paris in the days following the theft.

But on Wednesday, museum-goers flocked to the institution for the 9:00 a.m. (07:00 GMT) opening, though the Apollo Gallery —  scene of Sunday’s theft — remained closed.

“We’re happy it’s reopening today because we have our tickets booked,” said Nora Contract, a US tourist visiting with her husband, Jonathan.

The world’s most visited museum, whose extensive collection includes the Mona Lisa, last year welcomed nine million people to its extensive hallways and galleries.


Britain needs to step up defense spending faster, says Starmer

Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer takes part in a panel discussion in Munich, Germany. (AP file photo)
Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Britain needs to step up defense spending faster, says Starmer

  • Britain’s budget watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, said last year that raising defense spending to 3 percent of the GDP would cost an additional £17.3 billion a year ($24 billion) in 2029-30

LONDON: Britain should step up and accelerate its ​defense spending, Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Monday, following a report that the government was considering bringing forward its target to spend 3 percent of economic output on defense.
Britain, which has warned of the risks posed by Russia, said in February 2025 that it would lift annual defense spending to 2.5 percent of the GDP by 2027 and aim for 3 percent in the next Parliament, which is expected to begin after an ‌election due in ‌2029.
The BBC reported that the government was ​now ‌exploring ways to ​reach the 3 percent target by 2029. It said no decision had been taken but the government recognized current plans would not cover rising defense costs.

HIGHLIGHT

The BBC reported that the government is ​now ‌exploring ways to ​reach the 3 percent target by 2029.

Asked whether he would bring the target forward to 2029, Starmer echoed comments he made at the Munich Security Conference, where he said Europe had united to support Ukraine with the supply of weapons and munitions and to strengthen military readiness.
“We need to step up. That means on ‌defense spending, we need to go faster,” ‌Starmer told reporters on Monday. “We’ve obviously made commitments ​already in relation to that, but ‌it goes beyond just how much you spend.”
Latest NATO estimates show ‌that Britain spent 2.3 percent of the GDP on defense in 2024, above the alliance’s 2 percent guideline. But like other European countries, it has faced US pressure to spend more to protect the continent. Struggling with high debt and spending commitments, the government last ‌year cut its international aid budget to fund the hike in defense spending to 2.5 percent of GDP but is yet to publish an investment plan with spending priorities, something that has frustrated the defense industry.
Britain’s budget watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, said last year that raising defense spending to 3 percent of the GDP would cost an additional £17.3 billion a year ($24 billion) in 2029-30.
Finance Minister Rachel Reeves has struggled to stay on track with her plans to repair the public finances. The BBC said the Finance Ministry was believed to be cautious about the new defense spending proposals.
A government spokesperson said Britain was “delivering ​the largest sustained increase in defense ​spending since the Cold War.”