Algeria says working to bring back 7 teen migrants from Spain

In this file photo, Spanish Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska, center, gives a statement to journalists. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 21 October 2025
Follow

Algeria says working to bring back 7 teen migrants from Spain

  • Departures from Algeria alone accounted for over 90 percent of the 11,791 crossings the EU border agency Frontex detected on western Mediterranean routes by September

ALGIERS: Algeria said Monday it was working to repatriate seven teenagers whose Mediterranean crossing to Spain went viral on TikTok and sparked controversy over irregular migration from the North African country.

During an official visit to Algiers by Spanish Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska, his Algerian counterpart Said Sayoud said “efforts are underway to return the seven minors currently in Spain.”

“All documents and information requested by the Spanish authorities have been provided,” Sayoud added. “God willing, Algeria’s request will be met in the near future.”

Grande-Marlaska said that request was pending a judicial approval in Spain.

Clips of the teenagers crossing to Spain from a town near Algiers, first seen in early September, show the boys cutting across the sea in a small boat, with one video drawing over three million views.

Another shows one of the boys, the youngest of whom was said to be just 14, patting the motor as a self-appointed captain shouted: “Spain!“

Many in Algeria have blamed their parents for allowing the trip, while others saw the incident as underlining the lack of opportunities for young people in the country.

Grande-Marlaska said the parents of the teenagers had requested their repatriation and “the procedure is ongoing in our country.”

“The Public Prosecutor’s Office is coordinating ... and will analyze all the documentation sent by the Algerian authorities,” he added.

The teens are reportedly at a juvenile center in the custody of Spanish immigration services.

Europe’s border agency Frontex said last month irregular crossings on western Mediterranean routes had risen by 22 percent since the start of 2025 compared to last year.

Departures from Algeria alone accounted for over 90 percent of the 11,791 crossings the EU agency detected on those routes by September. In a statement, the Algerian Interior Ministry said irregular migration was a “common challenge” between Spain and Algeria.

It said authorities had prevented some 100,000 attempts to set sail illegally for Europe from Algeria since 2024, adding that more than 82,000 migrants were returned to their countries.

This can include other migrants transiting through Algeria, usually from sub-Saharan African countries.


Lebanon condemns deadly Israeli strikes on south and east

Updated 35 min 44 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon condemns deadly Israeli strikes on south and east

  • Joseph Aoun called the attacks “a blatant act of aggression aimed at thwarting diplomatic efforts”
  • A lawmaker from Hezbollah called on Beirut to suspend meetings of a multinational committee tasked with monitoring the truce

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s president on Saturday condemned deadly Israeli attacks on his country carried out a day prior, the latest despite a ceasefire with militant group Hezbollah.
In a statement, Joseph Aoun called the attacks “a blatant act of aggression aimed at thwarting diplomatic efforts” by the United States and other nations to establish stability.
A lawmaker from Hezbollah called on Beirut to suspend meetings of a multinational committee tasked with monitoring the truce.
Washington is one of five members on the committee overseeing the ceasefire implemented in November 2024, with the body scheduled to meet again next week.
Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite the ceasefire, usually saying it is targeting Hezbollah but occasionally also the group’s Palestinian ally Hamas.
The Friday attacks on southern and eastern Lebanon killed 12 people, according to the health ministry, 10 of them in the east of the country.
Israel’s military said it struck “several terrorists of Hezbollah’s missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area.”
Hezbollah said a commander was killed in the raids. Its lawmaker Rami Abu Hamdan said on Saturday the group “will not accept the authorities acting as mere political analysts, dismissing these as Israeli strikes we have grown accustomed to before every meeting of the committee.”
He called on Beirut to “suspend the committee’s meetings until the enemy ceases its attacks.”
Hezbollah, while weakened following war with Israel, remains a strong political force in Lebanon represented in parliament.
Lebanon’s government last year committed to disarming the group, with the army saying last month it had completed the first phase of the plan covering the area near the Israeli border.
Israel, which accuses Hezbollah of rearming since the war, has called the Lebanese army’s progress on disarming the militant group insufficient.