Tourists upset as Louvre stays shut after jewel heist

People queue as the opening of the Louvre museum that remains closed for the day after Sunday's jewels robbery, Monday, Oct. 20, 2025 in Paris. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 20 October 2025
Follow

Tourists upset as Louvre stays shut after jewel heist

  • The Louvre, along with the Eiffel Tower, ranks among the French capital’s must-see attractions, drawing nearly 9 million visitors last year — around 80 percent of them from abroad

PARIS: Visitors pressed against the Louvre’s iron gates on Monday, peering through bars locked after thieves pulled off a daylight jewel heist inside the world-famous museum the day before.
Would-be museum-goers queued outside the famed tourist attraction, a day after robbers stole precious jewelry and fled on scooters.
But the mood soured when the museum announced it would stay closed for a second day.

HIGHLIGHT

The Louvre, along with the Eiffel Tower, ranks among the French capital’s must-see attractions, drawing nearly 9 million visitors last year.

“It’s my birthday, it was my gift, and I’ve wanted to come for several years, so I’m a bit upset,” Elisa Valentino, a 31-year-old visiting from Italy said.
“I studied art ... It’s even the only thing I had planned for my stay in Paris, and I’m leaving tomorrow,” she said, wiping away tears.
Lingering outside the closed gates, US tourist Jesslyn Ehlers, 38, and her husband were busy rebooking their tickets.
“We heard about the heist the day before, so we checked online before coming and we didn’t hear anything,” she said. “We were excited to show up.”
But on arrival, they found a sign saying the museum would stay shut for a second day.
“We’re just kind of disappointed. We’ve been planning this for a very long time,” she said.
Those who had booked same-day visits would be reimbursed, the Louvre said in a statement.
“We’ll be refunded but that’s not the point,” said Adam Cooke, 65, who had traveled from London with his wife Rachel.
With their return set for Tuesday, the couple will miss their chance to visit the museum, whose extensive collections include the Mona Lisa.
The Louvre, along with the Eiffel Tower, ranks among the French capital’s must-see attractions, drawing nearly 9 million visitors last year — around 80 percent of them from abroad.
Tourists said they were shocked after masked thieves took off with eight priceless items, including an emerald-and-diamond necklace that Napoleon I gave his wife, Empress Marie-Louise.
The burglars dropped and damaged a ninth item — the crown of Empress Eugenie, the wife of Napoleon III — as they made their escape.
“It was amazing that the heist happened in broad daylight. I mean, that is obviously very unfortunate... very embarrassing,” said Cooke, the 65-year-old British tourist.
He discovered from news websites how the burglars parked an extendable ladder like those used by movers below the museum’s Apollo Gallery, where they used cutting equipment to get in through a window and open the display cases.
All in just seven minutes.
For El-Sisi Liu, a 39-year-old visiting from China with her husband and young sons, the theft was “unimaginable.”
“It’s a big shock that someone can get in there and steal something,” she said.
Andreea Dumitras, 17, from Moldova, came to Paris with friends and family and said she was not surprised the museum stayed closed after the brazen theft.
“What’s most frustrating is that the security at the Louvre is so weak,” she said.
With her departure set for Thursday, the 17-year-old said she hopes to make it inside on Wednesday — if the museum reopens in time. But she was not optimistic.
“Someone from security told me it’s not even certain it will reopen” by then, she said.

 


Zuckerberg says Meta no longer designs apps to maximize screentime

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Zuckerberg says Meta no longer designs apps to maximize screentime

  • Meta Platforms CEO faces questioned at a landmark trial over youth social media addiction
  • It was the billionaire Facebook founder’s first time testifying in court on Instagram’s effect on the mental health of young users
LOS ANGELES: Meta Platforms CEO Mark Zuckerberg pushed back in court on Wednesday against a lawyer’s suggestion that ​he had misled Congress about the design of its social media platforms, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues.
Zuckerberg was questioned on his statements to Congress in 2024, at a hearing where he said the company did not give its teams the goal of maximizing time spent on its apps.
Mark Lanier, a lawyer for a woman who accuses Meta of harming her mental health when she was a child, showed jurors emails from 2014 and 2015 in which Zuckerberg laid out aims to increase
time spent on the app by double-digit percentage points. Zuckerberg said that while Meta previously had goals related to ‌the amount of ‌time users spent on the app, it has since changed its ​approach.
“If ‌you ⁠are trying ​to ⁠say my testimony was not accurate, I strongly disagree with that,” Zuckerberg said.
The appearance was the billionaire Facebook founder’s first time testifying in court on Instagram’s effect on the mental health of young users.
While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech’s longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm.
The lawsuit and others like it are part of a ⁠global backlash against social media platforms over children’s mental health.
Australia has prohibited access ‌to social media platforms for users under age 16, and ‌other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, ​Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age ‌14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court.
The case involves a California woman ‌who started using Meta’s Instagram and Google’s YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.
Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and ‌pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not ⁠show social media changes ⁠kids’ mental health.
The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet’s Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis. Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm.
Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not, Reuters reported in October.
Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens’ attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually ​or unintentionally, according to the document shown at ​trial.
Meta’s lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman’s health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.