Al-Ittihad come from behind to kick-start Champions League campaign

Fabinho stepped up to bend a spectacular free-kick from about 25 meters out into the bottom corner of the net. (X/@ittihad_en)
Short Url
Updated 20 October 2025
Follow

Al-Ittihad come from behind to kick-start Champions League campaign

  • The Tigers beat Al-Shorta of Iraq 4-1 in Baghdad to record their first victory in the group stage after 2 defeats
  • Goals from Moussa Diaby, Fabinho and Houssem Aouar gave new coach Sergio Conceicao his first win since replacing sacked Laurent Blanc on Oct. 7

JEDDAH: Al-Ittihad beat Al-Shorta 4-1 on Monday to claim their first win in the AFC Champions League this season, and also hand new coach Sergio Conceicao a welcome first victory in his second game since taking over from sacked Laurent Blanc on Oct. 7.

The pressure was on the 2004 and 2005 continental champions, who had lost their first two group games, prior to Conceicao’s arrival, and it looked like they were in for another tough night in Baghdad against an Iraqi side who caused problems for their visitors throughout.

In fact, Al-Ittihad found themselves trailing after only five minutes, when Bassam Shakir put the hosts ahead to send the home fans wild. The midfielder reacted quickly at the far post to head home Mehdi Ashabi’s flick-on from a right-sided corner.

The Tigers were back on level terms just 12 minutes later, however, after Mahamadou Doumbia robbed an opponent of possession and chipped a smart cross toward Moussa Diaby, who headed home.

Just before the half-hour mark, the Jeddah giants took the lead in some style when Fabinho stepped up to bend a spectacular free-kick from about 25 meters out into the bottom corner of the net, a goal worthy of any stage.

Shortly before the break, Al-Shorta thought they were level when Dominique Mendy’s fierce drive hit the bar and the ball appeared to bounce down behind the line. The video assistant referee ruled otherwise.

There was better news for the hosts five minutes after the restart, as the visitors were reduced to 10 men when Danilo Pereira received a second yellow card for a foul. With Al-Shorta looking dangerous throughout the match, the game looked like it could go either way.

On the hour mark, however, Houssem Aouar extended Al-Ittihad’s lead, sidefooting from close range into an empty net after a driving run by Diaby.

Aouar scored his second, and his team’s fourth, after 76 minutes to seal the victory. Diaby was the provider once again, pulling the ball back from the left side of the area for the Algerian to slide home.


UK Athletics admits corporate manslaughter in death of UAE Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

UK Athletics admits corporate manslaughter in death of UAE Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei

  • UK Athletics had initially denied the charge when it appeared in court in March 2025 but entered a guilty plea on Friday

LONDON: UK Athletics has admitted corporate manslaughter over the death of Emirati Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei, who was killed in a training accident in London in 2017, it was reported on Friday.

Hayayei, 36, died after a heavy metal cage collapsed on him while he was preparing for the World Para-Athletics Championships at Newham Leisure Centre in July of that year.

The governing body had initially denied the charge when it appeared in court in March 2025 but entered a guilty plea on Friday during a hearing at the Old Bailey in London, media reports said.

Keith Davies, the head of sport for the London 2017 World Para-Athletics Championships, also pleaded guilty to a health and safety offense.

The 78-year-old had previously denied a charge of gross negligence manslaughter.

Prosecutor Karen Robinson told the court a two-day sentencing hearing should be scheduled for early June, confirming the prosecution would not pursue a trial and that all remaining matters would be resolved following sentencing.

Davies was granted continued bail, subject to conditions including cooperation with the UK Probation Service in the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

At the time of the fatal incident, Hayayei was training to compete at the London championships.

The UAE athlete had been due to take part in the F34 shot put, discus and javelin events.

A father of five, Hayayei made his Paralympic debut at the Rio Paralympics in 2016, finishing sixth in the javelin and seventh in the shot put.

London 2017 was set to be his second world championships appearance, having placed fifth in the discus and eighth in the shot put at the 2015 event in Doha.

A moment of silence was observed in Hayayei’s memory during the opening ceremony at the London Stadium.