UK authorities seek to reverse decision to ban Maccabi Tel Aviv fans from Villa game

Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Oct. 17, that the plan to ban Maccabi Tel Aviv fans from attending a Europa League match at Aston Villa was the “wrong choice” after police advised the club no away fans could be at the game due to security concerns. (AFP/File Photos)
Short Url
Updated 17 October 2025
Follow

UK authorities seek to reverse decision to ban Maccabi Tel Aviv fans from Villa game

  • Maccabi Tel Aviv fans clashed violently with city residents in Amsterdam last season

LONDON: British officials said Friday they were working to reverse a ban on Maccabi Tel Aviv soccer fans attending a Europa League game at Aston Villa next month because of security concerns, a decision that drew condemnation from politicians, sports organizations and Jewish groups.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer said the police recommendation to bar the visiting team’s fans from the Nov. 6 game was “the wrong decision,” and European soccer’s governing body, UEFA, urged British authorities to ensure the Israeli team’s fans could go to the match.

“UEFA wants fans to be able to travel and support their team in a safe, secure and welcoming environment, and encourages both teams and the competent authorities to agree on the implementation of appropriate measures necessary to allow this to happen,” it said in a statement.

Ian Murray, a minister in the department for culture, media and sport, said the government “will do everything we possibly can to resolve this issue.” He said Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy “will be meeting with the Home Office and other stakeholders today to try and see if there’s a way through this.”

Aston Villa said in a statement that police had informed the club that “they have public safety concerns outside the stadium bowl and the ability to deal with any potential protests on the night.”

West Midlands Police said it had deemed the match at Villa Park in Birmingham, central England, to be high risk “based on current intelligence and previous incidents,” including violence and hate crimes that took place when Maccabi Tel Aviv played Ajax in Amsterdam last season.

The fan ban was swiftly criticized by Starmer, who said “the role of the police is to ensure all football fans can enjoy the game, without fear of violence or intimidation.”

The game at Villa Park will be Maccabi Tel Aviv’s first away match in the Europa League since pro-Palestinian protests took place at the stadium in Thessaloniki, Greece when the club played PAOK on Sept. 24.

About 120 fans of the Israeli club traveled to Greece for that game and were held behind a police cordon before entering the venue.

Maccabi Tel Aviv fans clashed violently with city residents in Amsterdam last season when the team visited for a Europa League game against Ajax.

UEFA had been weighing a vote to suspend Israeli teams from its competitions before that was overtaken this month by the ceasefire in Gaza.

Maccabi Tel Aviv chief executive Jack Angelides, expressed “dismay about what this potentially is signaling.”

“I don’t use this term lightly but people ask, ‘What does antisemitism look like?’ And it’s often manifested as part of a process … in other words small events leading up to something that’s more sinister,” he told the BBC.


Barcelona pounces on Real Madrid stumble and regains lead of La Liga with a 3-0 win over Levante

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Barcelona pounces on Real Madrid stumble and regains lead of La Liga with a 3-0 win over Levante

  • Barcelona moved one point ahead of Madrid, which had won eight in a row in the league before losing to Osasuna

MADRID: Barcelona took advantage of Real Madrid’s stumble and regained the Spanish league lead with a comfortable 3-0 win over relegation-threatened Levante on Sunday.
Marc Bernal, Frenkie de Jong and Fermín López scored a goal each as Barcelona ended a two-game losing streak to get back in front of rival Madrid, which lost 2-1 at Osasuna on Saturday.
Barcelona moved one point ahead of Madrid, which had won eight in a row in the league before losing to Osasuna.
Barcelona was coming off a 2-1 loss to Girona in the league and a 4-0 loss to Atletico Madrid in the first leg of the Copa del Rey semifinals.
“It was important to win and earn three points again,” Barcelona defender João Cancelo said. “Soccer gives you these opportunities to rebound and that’s what we did today, playing well again after two bad games.”
Barcelona had earned a clean sheet only once in its previous six games in all competitions.
Good start for Barcelona
Bernal scored from close range four minutes into the match at the Camp Nou Stadium. The 18-year-old Bernal had scored his first goal with the first team two rounds ago in a win over Mallorca.
“They had an early chance but my goal helped us settle and gain some confidence,” Bernal said.
De Jong added to the lead from inside the area in the 32nd and López sealed the victory with a beautiful long-range shot in the 81st, with the ball ricocheting off the post before going into the net.
Levante’s Australian goalkeeper Mathew Ryan kept Barcelona from adding the fourth with a pair of outstanding saves in a row in the final minutes, first off a header by Raphinha and then off a point-blank strike from López on the rebound.
It was the fourth straight defeat for Levante, which sits in 19th place. It is one point ahead of last-place Oviedo, which has a game in hand.
Levante has only one victory in its last eight matches.
Pedri entered the match in the 66th to make his return to action after an injury layoff.
Other results
Sevilla won 1-0 at 10-man Getafe for its second win in its last 10 matches in all competitions.
Djibril Sow scored a 64th-minute winner for the visitors. Getafe played a man down from the 26th after a straight red card for Djene Dakonam.
The result left Sevilla in 11th place, immediately above Getafe.
Third-place Villarreal, Barcelona’s next league opponent, can restore a three-point gap to fourth-place Atletico Madrid if it beats Valencia at home later Sunday. Atletico beat Espanyol 4-2 at home on Saturday.