Police clash with protesters as thousands rally in Madagascar

Malagasy police officers run to push back protesters during clashes at a demonstration calling for the resignation of President Andry Rajoelina, in Antananarivo, on Oct. 6, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 October 2025
Follow

Police clash with protesters as thousands rally in Madagascar

  • The fresh rally came after the Gen Z movement called for a general strike
  • The president has appointed a new prime minister and called for dialogue

ANTANANARIVO: Several thousand anti-government demonstrators marched on Thursday through Madagascar’s capital, several of them injured when police cracked down on the latest youth-led protest of the past two weeks.
The fresh rally came after the Gen Z movement called for a general strike and rejected President Andry Rajoelina’s attempts to defuse the tensions rocking the Indian Ocean Island.
The president has appointed a new prime minister and called for dialogue in a bid to quell the near-daily protests that erupted on September 25.
The unrest was sparked by anger over regular and lengthy power and water shortages and evolved into a broader anti-government movement.
Security forces charged at protesters with armored vehicles, firing tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the initial crowds of about 1,000 that gathered on Thursday near Lake Anosy and started marching toward the Ambohijatovo Gardens, AFP reporters saw.
Street battles later broke out between the police and demonstrators, who responded by throwing stones.
Tear gas fired near a maternity ward forced nursing staff to move premature babies to the back of the building, an AFP journalist saw.
At least four people were injured by rubber bullets and two by projectiles from stun grenades, according to AFP reporters on the ground and two local medical organizations.
A man was left unconscious on the ground after being chased and severely beaten by security forces in the neighboring district of Anosibe before being evacuated by the Red Cross.
Conflict monitoring group ACLED said the month of September saw the second highest level of protests in Madagascar since it began collecting data in 1997, surpassed only by a surge before the 2023 vote.
- ‘Problem is the system’ -

Hundreds of protesters again marched through the large southern coastal city of Toliara on Thursday, reports said.
“We’re still struggling,” said Heritiana Rafanomezantsoa, one of the marchers in Antananarivo.
“The problem is the system. Our lives haven’t improved since we gained independence from France,” the 35-year-old told AFP
Student Niaina Ramangason said Rajoelina — who himself came to power following an uprising in 2009 — was “selfish.”
“He makes promises but doesn’t keep them. I don’t believe in him anymore,” the 20-year-old said.
After initially adopting a conciliatory tone and dismissing his entire government, Rajoelina appointed a military officer as prime minister on October 6.
He said the country “no longer needs disturbances” and chose to make the first appointments in his new cabinet to the ministries of the armed forces, public security and armed police.
More than 200 civil society organizations said on Thursday they were “concerned about a military drift in the country’s governance, rather than a search for appeasement and an end to repression.”
- Death toll -

The United Nations said on September 29 that at least 22 people had been killed in the first days of protests, a toll Rajoelina disputed on Wednesday.
“There have been 12 confirmed deaths and all of these individuals were looters and vandals,” he told French-speaking television channel Reunion La Premiere.
The UN’s human rights office said some of the 22 victims were protesters or bystanders killed by security forces, while others had died in violence sparked by criminal gangs and looters in the wake of the demonstrations.
Twenty-eight protesters have been referred to the prosecutor’s office for formal charges, their lawyers said on Wednesday.
Five are in pre-trial detention in Tsiafahy prison, a jail described by Amnesty International as overcrowded and “hellish.”
The protest movement has issued Rajoelina with a list of demands that includes a public apology for the violence against them but no longer mentions its previous calls for him to step down.
Despite rich natural resources, nearly three quarters of Madagascar’s population of 32 million lived below the poverty line in 2022, according to World Bank figures.
The Indian Ocean island’s per capita GDP fell from $812 in 1960 to $461 in 2025, according to the World Bank.


French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist

  • Deranque’s death has fomented tensions ahead of municipal elections next month and presidential polls next year
  • Macron has said there was no place in France “for movements that adopt and legitimize violence“

LYON: French police will be out in force at a weekend rally for a slain far-right activist, the interior minister said Friday, as the country seeks to contain anger over the fatal beating blamed on the hard left.
Quentin Deranque, 23, died from head injuries after being attacked by at least six people on the sidelines of a protest against a politician from the hard-left France Unbowed (LFI) party in the southeastern city of Lyon last week.
His death has fomented tensions ahead of municipal elections next month and presidential polls next year, in which the far-right National Rally (RN) party is seen as having its best chance yet at winning the top job.
President Emmanuel Macron, who is serving his last year in office, has said there was no place in France “for movements that adopt and legitimize violence,” and urged the far right and hard left to clean up their act.
Deranque’s supporters have called for a march in his memory on Saturday in Lyon.
The Greens mayor of Lyon asked the state to ban it, but Interior Minister Laurent Nunez declined to do so.
Nunez said he had planned an “extremely large police deployment” with reinforcements from outside the city to ensure security at the rally expected to be attended by 2,000 to 3,000 people, and likely to see counter-protesters from the hard left show up.
“I can only ban a demonstration when there are major risks of public disorder and I am not in a position to contain them,” he told the RTL broadcaster.
“My role is to strike a balance between maintaining public order and freedom of expression.”

- ‘Fascist demonstration’ -

Jordan Bardella, the president of anti-immigration RN, has urged party members not to go.
“We ask you, except in very specific and strictly supervised local situations (a tribute organized by a municipality, for example), not to attend these gatherings nor to associate the National Rally with them,” he wrote in a message sent to party officials and seen by AFP.
LFI coordinator Manuel Bompard backed the mayor’s call for a ban, warning on X it would be a “fascist demonstration” that “over 1,000 neo-Nazis from all over Europe” were expected to attend.
Two people, aged 20 and 25, have been charged with intentional homicide in relation to the fatal beating, according to the Lyon prosecutor and their lawyers.
A third suspect has been charged with complicity in the killing.
Jacques-Elie Favrot, a 25-year-old former parliamentary assistant to LFI lawmaker Raphael Arnault, has admitted to having been present at the scene but denied delivering the blows that killed Deranque, his attorney said.
Favrot said “it was absolutely not an ambush, but a clash with a group of far-right activists,” he added.
Italy’s hard-right Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday said the killing of Deranque was “a wound for all of Europe.”
Referring to her comments, Macron said everyone should “stay in their own lane,” but Meloni later said that Macron had misinterpreted her comments.
Opinion polls put the far right in the lead for the presidency in 2027, when Macron will have to step down after the maximum two consecutive terms in office.