Tunisia pardons man facing death penalty over Facebook posts

Tunisian President Kais Saied attending the Arab League Summit in Jeddah. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 07 October 2025
Follow

Tunisia pardons man facing death penalty over Facebook posts

  • Bouthelja said he had filed an appeal on Friday but was later informed Ben Chouchane withdrew it, allowing the presidential pardon to be granted
  • Under Tunisian law, attempts to overthrow the state or incite armed violence are punishable by death

TUNIS: A Tunisian man sentenced to death over Facebook posts deemed offensive to President Kais Saied has been granted a presidential pardon, his lawyer said Tuesday.
Saber Ben Chouchane, 51, had been sentenced on multiple charges including “spreading false news,” defense lawyer Oussama Bouthelja said.
Bouthelja said he had filed an appeal on Friday but was later informed Ben Chouchane withdrew it, allowing the presidential pardon to be granted.
The lawyer also said he learned of his client’s release overnight after Ben Chouchane’s family called him and said he was at home.
Ben Chouchane was prosecuted in January 2024 and had been detained since. The verdict was delivered Wednesday by a court in Nabeul, east of Tunis.

FASTFACT

Ben Chouchane was prosecuted in January 2024 and had been detained since. The verdict was delivered Wednesday by a court in Nabeul, east of Tunis.

It remained unclear which of Ben Chouchane’s Facebook posts led to the prosecution.
Ben Chouchane had been found guilty of “insulting the president, the minister of justice, and the judiciary,” and some of his posts were also deemed to be incitement.
Bouthelja said he had been “shocked, stunned, astonished” by the verdict, adding: “I didn’t believe it at first.”
Under Tunisian law, attempts to overthrow the state or incite armed violence are punishable by death.
Courts continue to issue death sentences, though the country has not carried out executions since 1991.
Saied was elected in 2019 after Tunisia emerged as the only democracy to come out of the Arab Spring.
In 2021, he staged a sweeping power grab, and human rights groups have since warned of a rollback on freedoms.
Decree 54, the law criminalizing “spreading false news,” was enacted by Saied in September 2022.
It has been criticized by rights groups for stifling free speech.
Dozens of Saied’s critics have been prosecuted under Decree 54 and are currently behind bars.

 


Israeli approval of West Bank land registration draws outrage

Updated 57 min 12 sec ago
Follow

Israeli approval of West Bank land registration draws outrage

  • Israel’s government has approved a process to register land in the West Bank, drawing condemnation

JERUSALEM: Israel’s government has approved a process to register land in the West Bank, drawing condemnation from Arab nations and critics who labelled it a “mega land grab” that would accelerate annexation of the Palestinian territory.
Israel’s foreign ministry said the measure would enable “transparent and thorough clarification of rights to resolve legal disputes” and was needed after unlawful land registration in areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority.
But Egypt, Qatar and Jordan criticized the move as illegal under international law.
In a statement, the Egyptian government called it a “dangerous escalation aimed at consolidating Israeli control over the occupied Palestinian territories.”
Qatar’s foreign ministry condemned the “decision to convert West Bank lands into so-called ‘state property’,” saying it would “deprive the Palestinian people of their rights.”
The Palestinian Authority called for international intervention to prevent the “de facto beginning of the annexation process and the undermining of the foundations of the Palestinian state.”
Israeli anti-settlement watchdog Peace Now called Sunday’s measure a “mega land grab.”
According to public broadcaster Kan, land registration will be reopened in the West Bank for the first time since 1967 — when Israel captured the territory in the Middle East war.
The Israeli media reported that the process will take place only in Area C, which constitutes some 60 percent of West Bank territory and is under Israeli security and administrative control.
Palestinians see the West Bank as foundational to any future Palestinian state, but many on Israel’s religious right want to take over the land.
Last week, Israel’s security cabinet approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over areas of the West Bank administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo accords in place since the 1990s.
Those measures, which also sparked international backlash, include allowing Jewish Israelis to buy West Bank land directly and allowing Israeli authorities to administer certain religious sites in areas under the Palestinian Authority’s control.
Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.
Around three million Palestinians live in the territory.