Ukraine wants to increase gas imports by 30 percent after Russian attacks

Ukraine wants to increase natural gas imports by 30 percent following Russian airstrikes on its gas infrastructure, damage from which Ukrainian Energy Minister Svitlana Hrynchuk described on Tuesday as significant. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 07 October 2025
Follow

Ukraine wants to increase gas imports by 30 percent after Russian attacks

  • Hrynchuk said: “We plan to import throughout the coldest months, although the priority now is to secure imports for October-December“
  • “The faster we can restore (production), the less we will need to import“

KYIV: Ukraine wants to increase natural gas imports by 30 percent following Russian airstrikes on its gas infrastructure, damage from which Ukrainian Energy Minister Svitlana Hrynchuk described on Tuesday as significant.
Russia has sharply intensified its attacks on Ukraine’s energy sector in recent weeks, and last Friday attacked Ukraine’s main gas fields, raising fears of a possible gas shortage and the need for significant additional imports.
“We plan to increase imports by around 30 percent if we manage to expand our import capacity,” Hrynchuk told a press briefing after a meeting with Western ambassadors.
“We plan to import throughout the coldest months, although the priority now is to secure imports for October-December and, if necessary, for other months.”

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE SPEED OF RECOVERY
The minister said the total volume of imports would depend on how quickly Ukraine can recover its gas production, how intense and targeted the Russian attacks will be, and how severe the damage to the gas transport system could potentially be.
“The faster we can restore (production), the less we will need to import,” Hrynchuk said, adding that an increase in LNG imports was one of the possible options to cover shortages.
The government had previously said Ukraine planned to import 4.6 billion cubic meters (bcm) of gas in the 2025/26 season, starting the heating season with around 13.2 bcm of gas in its storage facilities.
Analysts and former officials say the country had already accumulated about 13 bcm in reserves.
Hrynchuk said the attacks targeted regional gas infrastructure, as well as power transmission facilities in Ukraine’s frontline regions and severe restrictions on energy supplies were already in place in several northern regions.
Russia has been regularly bombing Ukraine’s energy infrastructure since its 2022 invasion.
The minister said that her team had already worked out scenarios for action in the event of Russian attacks and prepared restrictions on gas supplies to the population and industry, which had not been done in all the years of the war.
“We are preparing for various scenarios, including the worst-case ones,” Hrynchuk said.


Zuckerberg says Meta no longer designs apps to maximize screentime

Updated 51 min 35 sec ago
Follow

Zuckerberg says Meta no longer designs apps to maximize screentime

  • Meta Platforms CEO faces questioned at a landmark trial over youth social media addiction
  • It was the billionaire Facebook founder’s first time testifying in court on Instagram’s effect on the mental health of young users

LOS ANGELES: Meta Platforms CEO Mark Zuckerberg pushed back in court on Wednesday against a lawyer’s suggestion that ​he had misled Congress about the design of its social media platforms, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues.
Zuckerberg was questioned on his statements to Congress in 2024, at a hearing where he said the company did not give its teams the goal of maximizing time spent on its apps.
Mark Lanier, a lawyer for a woman who accuses Meta of harming her mental health when she was a child, showed jurors emails from 2014 and 2015 in which Zuckerberg laid out aims to increase time spent on the app by double-digit percentage points. Zuckerberg said that while Meta previously had goals related to ‌the amount of ‌time users spent on the app, it has since changed its ​approach.
“If ‌you ⁠are trying ​to ⁠say my testimony was not accurate, I strongly disagree with that,” Zuckerberg said.
The appearance was the billionaire Facebook founder’s first time testifying in court on Instagram’s effect on the mental health of young users.
While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech’s longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm.
The lawsuit and others like it are part of a ⁠global backlash against social media platforms over children’s mental health.
Australia has prohibited access ‌to social media platforms for users under age 16, and ‌other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, ​Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age ‌14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court.
The case involves a California woman ‌who started using Meta’s Instagram and Google’s YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.
Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and ‌pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not ⁠show social media changes ⁠kids’ mental health.
The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet’s Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis. Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm.
Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not, Reuters reported in October.
Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens’ attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually ​or unintentionally, according to the document shown at ​trial.
Meta’s lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman’s health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.