UK government to give police new powers to crack down on protests

A protester is taken away by police officers at a "Lift The Ban" demonstration in support of the proscribed group Palestine Action, calling for the recently imposed ban to be lifted, in Trafalgar Square, central London, on October 4, 2025. (FILE/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 05 October 2025
Follow

UK government to give police new powers to crack down on protests

  • Move comes after nearly 500 people detained in London for supporting Palestine Action
  • Home secretary: ‘The frequency of particular protests in particular places is in and of itself a reason for the police to be able to restrict and place conditions’

LONDON: Police in the UK will receive new powers to crack down on protests.

Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood is set to reassess all existing anti-protest laws, including giving police the ability to relocate regular demonstrations and ban protests outright based on the “cumulative impact” of “repeated disorder” at marches and rallies. 

It comes after around 500 people were arrested in central London for taking part in a demonstration in support of banned group Palestine Action. 
Mahmood told Sky News that she believes there is “a gap in the law” that requires immediate correction.

“What I will be making explicit is that cumulative disruption, that is to say the frequency of particular protests in particular places, is in and of itself a reason for the police to be able to restrict and place conditions,” she said.

Mass events in support of the Palestinian cause have become a regular feature of weekends in London since the Gaza war began in October 2023.

A new element, though, is demonstrations in support of Palestine Action, which was banned as a terrorist group after a series of incidents, including a break-in at a Royal Air Force base earlier this year.

There had been calls for people not to march in support of the people of Gaza or Palestine Action this weekend following the deaths of two people in a terrorist attack on a synagogue in Manchester earlier in the week, including from Prime Minister Keir Starmer. 

In response, Defend Our Juries, which organized Saturday’s protest, said in a statement that it is up to the authorities to “choose to prioritise protecting the public from real terrorism, and not waste resources on enforcing the absurd and ridiculous ban on Palestine Action.”


Spanish govt seeks probe into X, Meta, TikTok over AI child porn

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Spanish govt seeks probe into X, Meta, TikTok over AI child porn

  • Socialist PM Pedro Sanchez announced on X that his government would request the public prosecutor’s office to investigate the three tech platforms for offenses “they may be committing by creating and spreading child pornography through their AI”

MADRID: Spain’s leftist government on Tuesday said it would ask prosecutors to investigate X, Meta and TikTok for possible offenses related to AI-generated child pornography, as an international backlash grows against such tools.
Separate probes in Britain, France, the European Union and California have been launched over sexualized deepfakes created by X’s AI chatbot Grok and amid a wider debate about regulating artificial intelligence.

BACKGROUND

Separate probes in Britain, France, the European Union and California have been launched over sexualized deepfakes created by X’s AI chatbot Grok and amid a wider debate about regulating artificial intelligence.

Socialist Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced on X that his government would request the public prosecutor’s office to investigate the three tech platforms for offenses “they may be committing by creating and spreading child pornography through their AI.”
“These platforms are harming the mental health, dignity and rights of our sons and daughters. The state cannot allow it. The impunity of (tech) giants must end,” Sanchez wrote.
One in five young people in Spain say they have been victim of fake nude images generated by AI while they were minors, with girls especially affected, Sanchez’s office said in a statement.
Sanchez is an outspoken critic of leading tech figures he calls “techno-oligarchs,” and has called for tighter regulation of their platforms to combat disinformation, violent content and pornography.
Earlier this month, he sparred with X owner Elon Musk and Telegram founder Pavel Durov after announcing a plan to ban social media for under-16s.