Saudi Arabia to host second edition of new song contest Intervision in 2026

Saudi singer and songwriter Zeina Emad sang the specially commissioned piece titled “Just a Concern.”  (X: @intervisionwld)
Short Url
Updated 21 September 2025
Follow

Saudi Arabia to host second edition of new song contest Intervision in 2026

  • 2026 edition expected to attract record participation, more than the 23 countries at the inaugural edition in Moscow
  • Topping the first edition was Vietnam’s Duc Phuc, who won a grand prize of 30 million rubles (about $360,000)

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia will host the second edition of the new song contest Intervision, whose inaugural version was concluded early Sunday in Moscow, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

This was also announced by organizers of Intervision, Russia's answer to the Eurovision song contest. 

Artists from more than 20 countries — including Saudi Arabia — competed in the inaugural edition in the Russian capital, which was won by Vietnamese singer Duc Phuc.

According to SPA, the Kingdom’s delegation, organized by the Saudi Music Commission, featured Saudi singer and songwriter Zeina Emad, who performed a specially commissioned piece titled “Just a Concern.” 

“I wanted to give voice to that feeling when someone finally says, ‘I am concerned about you,’ even if everyone else isn’t. This is one of the most personal songs I have ever performed,” Emad told the Intervision online site www.intervision.world




Saudi singer and songwriter Zeina Emad sang the specially commissioned piece titled “Just a Concern.”  (X: @intervisionwld)

In its report, SPA said the 2026 edition in Saudi Arabia "is expected to attract record participation, with innovative performances that highlight cultural heritage and creativity."

"The contest provides a global stage for artistic diversity, bringing together nations through live musical performances that highlight creativity and cultural exchange," the report added.

Revival of Soviet-era contest

Intervision 2025 has been hailed by some as a revival of the Soviet-era contest hosted in Czechoslovakia between 1965 and 1968, and Poland between 1977 and 1980. 

During Saturday’s contest in Moscow, Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke to participants in a video address, hailing its main theme of “respecting traditional values and different cultures.”

“Today, Intervision is gathering a second wind, while remaining faithful to its traditions,” Putin added.




Spectators watch a video address of Russian President Vladimir Putin during the Intervision International Music Contest 2025 in Moscow on September 20, 2025. (REUTERS)

Participating in Intervision 2025 were contestants from Belarus, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Madagascar, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, South Africa, Tajikistan, the UAE, Uzbekistan, Venezuela and Vietnam.

The US also took part but moments before its entrant, Australian-born Vassy, was due to take to the stage, the show’s presenters announced that she would not be able to perform because of “political pressure” from the Australian government. 

Another act, singer-songwriter Brandon Howard, had been slated to perform for the US until three days before the final show. He ultimately dropped out due to “unforeseen family circumstances.”

In a show overflowing with thundering vocals and pyrotechnics, Vietnam’s Duc Phuc’s song “Phu Dong Thien Vuong,” a heady mix of pop, rap and dubstep, saw off second-place Kyrgyzstan to take home the grand prize of 30 million rubles (about $360,000).

Other acts included Cuban singer Zulema Iglesias Salazar with a joyful rumba, Qatar’s Dana Al Meer, who sang at the 2022 World Cup opening ceremony, and Serbia’s Slobodan Trkulja, who dedicated his song “Three Roses” to his three daughters.

Russia’s entrant, Shaman, a singer known for his patriotic concerts, presented a lyrical song before asking the international jury not to consider Russia’s performance.

“Russia has already won by inviting so many countries to join us,” he said. 

(With Agencies)


Syrian aviation officials explore possible deal with Saudi ground services firm

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Syrian aviation officials explore possible deal with Saudi ground services firm

DAMASCUS: Syrian aviation officials met with officials and representatives from Saudi Ground Services (SGS) to explore a possible partnership for ground handling services at Syrian airports.

Authority Chief Omar Al-Hosari met with Mohammed Bin AbdulKarim Mazi, the SGS chief executive, and other company officials to explore opportunities for technical and operational collaboration, state news agency SANA reported.

SGS operates at 28 airports across the Kingdom and serves domestic and international carriers.

Discussions involved upgrading operational efficiency and aligning airport services with international standards, SANA said.

Saudi Arabia and Syria early in February signed an agreement to launch 45 development initiatives, expanding economic cooperation as the two countries step up efforts to rebuild Syria’s economy.

Saudi carrier flynas also signed a pact with the Syrian aviation officials to establish a new commercial airline under the name flynas Syria.

The new carrier will be a joint venture, with 51 percent ownership held by the Syrian General Authority of Civil Aviation and Air Transport and 49 percent by flynas. Operations are expected to commence in the fourth quarter of this year.