Israel boycott calls spread as celebs and artists speak out

FILE- Pro-Palestinian protesters block the road in an attempt to disrupt the 21st stage of the Spanish cycling race La Vuelta, from Alalpardo to Madrid, Spain, Sunday, Sept. 14, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 20 September 2025
Follow

Israel boycott calls spread as celebs and artists speak out

  • With most Western governments resistant to major economic sanctions, musicians, celebrities and writers are hoping to build public pressure for more action
  • The open letter from Film Workers for Palestine has gathered thousands of signatories who have pledged to cut ties with any Israeli institutions “implicated in genocide.”

PARIS: From the music, film to publishing industries, growing numbers of Western artists are calling for a cultural boycott of Israel over the Gaza war, hoping to emulate the success of the apartheid-era blockade of South Africa.
With most Western governments resistant to major economic sanctions, musicians, celebrities and writers are hoping to build public pressure for more action.
“There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that, globally, we’re at a tipping point,” British actor Khalid Abdalla (“The Kite Runner,” “The Crown“) told AFP after signing a petition calling for a boycott of some Israeli cinema bodies.
The open letter from Film Workers for Palestine has gathered thousands of signatories, including Emma Stone and Joaquin Phoenix, who have pledged to cut ties with any Israeli institutions “implicated in genocide.”
“The avalanche is happening now, and it’s across spheres. It’s not just in the film worker sphere,” Abdalla added during an interview on Friday.
At this week’s Emmy Awards, winner after winner, from Javier Bardem to “Hacks” actor Hannah Einbinder, spoke about Gaza, echoing similar statements at the Venice Film Festival earlier this month.
On Thursday, British trip-hop pioneers Massive Attack announced they were joining a music collective called “No Music for Genocide” that will see artists try to block the streaming of their songs in Israel.
Elsewhere, Israel faces being boycotted at the Eurovision song contest, authors have signed open letters, while Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez is leading a push to exclude the country from sports events.
Israeli conductor Ilan Volkov announced last week at a concert in Britain that he would no longer perform in his home country.
“I think we are seeing a situation which is comparable to the boycott movement against apartheid South Africa,” Hakan Thorn, a Swedish academic at the University of Gothenburg who wrote a book on the South Africa boycott movement.
“There was definitely a shift in the spring of this year when the world saw the images of the famine in Gaza,” added the sociologist.

“Anti-Semitism”

The international boycott of South Africa’s white supremacist government began in earnest in the early 1960s after a massacre of black protesters by police in the Sharpeville township.
It culminated with artists and sports teams refusing to play there, with boycott busters such as Queen or Frank Sinatra facing widespread public criticism.
Thorn says many public figures were reluctant to speak out about the Gaza war, which was sparked by the October 7, 2023 attack by Palestinian militant group Hamas which left 1,219 people dead in Israel, most of them civilians.
Israel’s retaliatory strikes have killed more than 65,000 people, also mostly civilians, according to figures from Gaza’s health ministry, which the UN considers reliable.
“The history of the Holocaust and criticism of the pro-Palestinian movement for being antisemitic has been a serious obstacle to a broader mobilization against what Israel is doing right now,” explained Thorn.
A campaign to boycott Israel, known as the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, began 20 years ago over the country’s occupation of Palestinian territory.
The Israeli government accuses its supporters of being antisemitic and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu frequently labels critics as “Hamas sympathizers.”
David Feldman, who heads the Institute for the Study of Antisemitism at Birkbeck College at the University of London, said such statements have created “a lack of confidence over what the boundaries of antisemitism actually are.”
“Any eruption of antisemitism is concerning, but any attempt right now to identify the movement to boycott Israel with antisemitism is missing the point,” he told AFP.
“It is a vehicle of protest against Israel’s destruction of Gaza and the ongoing murder of people.”

Apartheid lessons 

Although the anti-apartheid movement is referenced by today’s campaigners against the Gaza war, history provides some sobering lessons for them.
After the start of the South Africa boycott movement, it took 30 years before the regime fell, exposing the limits of international pressure campaigns.
“By the early 1970s, it’s true to say that boycott was the defining principle of a self-identified global anti-apartheid movement, but the movement on its own was not enough,” Feldman, who wrote a book about boycotts, added.
The real pain was caused by the gradual asphyxiation of the South African economy as companies and banks withdrew under pressure, while the end of the Cold War sharply increased the country’s isolation.
Inside Israel, many artists worry about the consequences of the boycott movement.
Israeli screenwriter Hagai Levi (“Scenes from a Marriage,” “The Affair“) told AFP earlier this month that “90 percent of people in the artistic community” were against the war.
“They’re struggling, and boycotting them is actually weakening them.”


French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist

  • Deranque’s death has fomented tensions ahead of municipal elections next month and presidential polls next year
  • Macron has said there was no place in France “for movements that adopt and legitimize violence“

LYON: French police will be out in force at a weekend rally for a slain far-right activist, the interior minister said Friday, as the country seeks to contain anger over the fatal beating blamed on the hard left.
Quentin Deranque, 23, died from head injuries after being attacked by at least six people on the sidelines of a protest against a politician from the hard-left France Unbowed (LFI) party in the southeastern city of Lyon last week.
His death has fomented tensions ahead of municipal elections next month and presidential polls next year, in which the far-right National Rally (RN) party is seen as having its best chance yet at winning the top job.
President Emmanuel Macron, who is serving his last year in office, has said there was no place in France “for movements that adopt and legitimize violence,” and urged the far right and hard left to clean up their act.
Deranque’s supporters have called for a march in his memory on Saturday in Lyon.
The Greens mayor of Lyon asked the state to ban it, but Interior Minister Laurent Nunez declined to do so.
Nunez said he had planned an “extremely large police deployment” with reinforcements from outside the city to ensure security at the rally expected to be attended by 2,000 to 3,000 people, and likely to see counter-protesters from the hard left show up.
“I can only ban a demonstration when there are major risks of public disorder and I am not in a position to contain them,” he told the RTL broadcaster.
“My role is to strike a balance between maintaining public order and freedom of expression.”

- ‘Fascist demonstration’ -

Jordan Bardella, the president of anti-immigration RN, has urged party members not to go.
“We ask you, except in very specific and strictly supervised local situations (a tribute organized by a municipality, for example), not to attend these gatherings nor to associate the National Rally with them,” he wrote in a message sent to party officials and seen by AFP.
LFI coordinator Manuel Bompard backed the mayor’s call for a ban, warning on X it would be a “fascist demonstration” that “over 1,000 neo-Nazis from all over Europe” were expected to attend.
Two people, aged 20 and 25, have been charged with intentional homicide in relation to the fatal beating, according to the Lyon prosecutor and their lawyers.
A third suspect has been charged with complicity in the killing.
Jacques-Elie Favrot, a 25-year-old former parliamentary assistant to LFI lawmaker Raphael Arnault, has admitted to having been present at the scene but denied delivering the blows that killed Deranque, his attorney said.
Favrot said “it was absolutely not an ambush, but a clash with a group of far-right activists,” he added.
Italy’s hard-right Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday said the killing of Deranque was “a wound for all of Europe.”
Referring to her comments, Macron said everyone should “stay in their own lane,” but Meloni later said that Macron had misinterpreted her comments.
Opinion polls put the far right in the lead for the presidency in 2027, when Macron will have to step down after the maximum two consecutive terms in office.