Pair of bombings hours apart kill 8, wound 23 in southwest Pakistan

Security personnel inspect the blast site near a girls' school targeting police guarding polio vaccinators in the city of Mastung in Balochistan province on November 1, 2024. (AFP/ file)
Short Url
Updated 18 September 2025
Follow

Pair of bombings hours apart kill 8, wound 23 in southwest Pakistan

  • Two security personnel were killed, 23 injured in first attack in southwestern Turbat district, say police
  • Hours later, another car bomb exploded near Afghan border in southwestern city of Chaman, killing six

QUETTA, Pakistan: A pair of car bombings hours apart in Pakistan’s insurgency-hit southwest killed at least eight people and wounded about two dozen others on Thursday, officials said.

The first attack occurred in Turbat, a district in Balochistan province, when a suicide bomber rammed a vehicle into a security convoy, police official Elahi Bakhsh said. Two security personnel were killed, and 23 others were wounded in the attack, he said.

Hours later, another car bomb exploded near the Afghan border in the southwestern city of Chaman, killing six people, said government administrator Imtiaz Ali.

No group claimed responsibility for the attack. 

The latest attack came two weeks after a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a stadium as supporters of a nationalist party were leaving a rally near Quetta city, killing 13 people.

Pakistan has seen a surge in militant violence in recent years, with most attacks claimed by the Pakistani Taliban, who are known as Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, or TTP. 

The outlawed Baloch Liberation Army and other separatist groups also often stage attacks in Balochistan. The province has long been the scene of a insurgency, with separatists demanding independence from the central government.


Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package

  • Overall size of Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package is $139 million, says Finance Division
  • Says remaining funds will be released as per evolving requirements, available fiscal space

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) on Thursday approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion [$67.9 million] for the Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package, the Finance Division said, with the rest of the funds to be released keeping in mind available fiscal space. 

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif last week launched a Rs39 billion ($139 million) Ramadan relief package, pledging direct digital cash transfers of Rs13,000 ($47) each to 12.1 million low-income families across Pakistan. 

Pakistan’s government launches Ramadan relief packages every year before the holy month begins to lessen the burden of inflation on low-income families. 

Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb chaired the CEC meeting on Thursday, in which participants considered a summary from the Ministry of Poverty Alleviation seeking the approval of Rs25 billion [$89.3 million] 

“The Finance Division informed the Committee that Rs19 billion had already been budgeted for the Ramzan package for the current financial year and that the remaining requirement would be released as and when necessary,” the statement said. 

“The ECC accordingly approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion to enable prompt commencement of disbursement, while agreeing that any additional funds would be considered in line with evolving requirements and available fiscal space,” it added. 

The Finance Division noted that the overall size of the package is Rs39 billion [$139 million] out of which Rs10 billion [$35.7 million] are already available with the Benazir Income Support Program (BISP), Pakistan’s largest social safety net that provides unconditional cash transfers to the poor. 

The Finance Division said Rs29 billion have been arranged through three components considered by the ECC today, including the Technical Supplementary Grant, operational expenditures and the regularization of re-appropriated funds.

“This financing structure ensures that the package is fully resourced while maintaining fiscal discipline and transparency in implementation,” it added. 

The ECC reaffirmed the government’s commitment to extending “timely and dignified” support to deserving segments of society during Ramadan, while upholding fiscal responsibility and robust oversight in the implementation of relief measures.

“It emphasized the need to balance expeditious disbursement of relief with fiscal prudence and transparency in operational expenditures,” it added. 

The government will distribute the relief package through bank accounts and regulated mobile wallet platforms, fully replacing the previous utility store-based subsidy model with a digital payment mechanism overseen by the State Bank of Pakistan.

The allocation marks a sharp increase from last year’s Rs 20 billion ($72 million) Ramadan program, as the government expands coverage and deepens its shift toward cash-based targeted subsidies.