PESHAWAR, Pakistan; Twelve soldiers were killed in northwest Pakistan on Saturday in an ambush by Islamist militants on an army convoy, officials said.
The soldiers were moving in vehicles when they came under fire in the mountainous Badar area of South Waziristan near the border with Afghanistan.
Pakistan’s military said in a statement that 12 soldiers and 13 militants were killed in the clash “after an intense exchange of fire.”
At least four people were injured, security officials said.
The Pakistani Taliban, a jihadist group that Islamabad says is based in Afghanistan, claimed responsibility, saying it had also captured weapons and drones from the soldiers.
Residents said they saw helicopters in the air for hours after the early morning attack, taking the casualties to hospital and searching for the attackers.
Typically, a curfew is imposed and the route swept before military convoys move in the area, a focus for militants.
Islamabad alleges that the Pakistani Taliban is being harbored by the Afghan Taliban administration with the support of India, a source of tension with Kabul and New Delhi, which both deny the charge. The group is inspired by the Afghan Taliban.
The Pakistani group stepped up attacks, targeting Pakistani security forces since the Afghan Taliban swept to power in 2021.
“Pakistan expects the interim Afghan Government to uphold its responsibilities and deny use of its soil for terrorists’ activities against Pakistan,” Pakistan’s military said.
Twelve Pakistan soldiers killed in militants’ ambush, officials say
Short Url
https://arab.news/npmqt
Twelve Pakistan soldiers killed in militants’ ambush, officials say
- The soldiers were moving in vehicles when they came under fire in the mountainous Badar area of South Waziristan near the border with Afghanistan
Three dead in latest US strike on alleged drug boat: Pentagon
WASHINGTON: US forces on Friday launched a strike against alleged drug traffickers in the Eastern Pacific, killing three people, the military said.
“Joint Task Force Southern Spear conducted a lethal kinetic strike on a vessel operated by Designated Terrorist Organizations” along an apparent narco-trafficking route, the US Southern Command posted on X, adding that “three male narco-terrorists were killed during this action.”
The US began targeting alleged smuggling boats in early September, killing nearly 150 people in total and destroying dozens of vessels since then.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










