Islamabad says has filled 179,210 Hajj slots for 2026 after this year’s shortfall

Pakistan Religious Affairs Minister Sardar Muhammad Yousuf speaks during a Hajj and Umrah exhibition in Islamabad on September 11, 2025. (Handout/MoRA)
Short Url
Updated 12 September 2025
Follow

Islamabad says has filled 179,210 Hajj slots for 2026 after this year’s shortfall

  • Pakistan has allocated quota of 120,000 Hajj pilgrims for government scheme, rest for private tour operators
  • Around 63,000 Pakistani pilgrims were unable to perform the pilgrimage under the private scheme this year

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has filled its entire quota of 179,210 Hajj pilgrims under both the government and private schemes, the religious affairs minister said on Thursday, disclosing that negotiations are underway with Saudi companies to finalize transport and accommodation arrangements.

Similar to last year, Pakistan has been allocated a quota of 179,210 pilgrims for Hajj 2026. Out of these, around 120,000 seats have been allocated under the government scheme and the rest to private tour operators.

“We have now completed the Hajj applications with the entire quota utilized and the first installment of dues also submitted,” Religious Affairs Minister Sardar Muhammad Yousuf told Arab News.

The minister was speaking to Arab News at the sidelines of a pre-launch event for a Hajj and Umrah exhibition in Islamabad, which will take place from Oct. 24-26 in Islamabad.




Pakistan Religious Affairs Minister Sardar Muhammad Yousuf speaks during a Hajj and Umrah exhibition in Islamabad on September 11, 2025. (AN Photo)

“All preparations have been finalized and a procurement committee has been formed to sign agreements with Saudi companies for transportation, accommodation, and other arrangements,” Yousuf said. “And their work has already started.”

The minister said many people were still inquiring about the government scheme quota, saying they were unable to apply in time. Yousuf said the ministry would accommodate them on a case-by-case basis, provided any pilgrims drop out.

He added that the private sector has also completed its quota of 60,000 Hajj pilgrims.

“Thus, next year Pakistan will fully utilize its total quota of 179,210 pilgrims,” the minister said.

Last year, around 63,000 Pakistani pilgrims were unable to perform Hajj under the private scheme due to delays in payments and mismanagement by private Hajj operators.

As a result, Islamabad was forced to surrender these slots to Saudi Arabia.

Yousaf said the government had taken serious action over the matter, saying this led to a reduction in the Hajj pilgrims’ quota for private tour operators this year.

He said earlier, the quota for Hajj pilgrims under government and private schemes was kept allocated at 50 percent each. The quota for private tour operators now has been slashed to 33 percent while the government has been allocated a share of 67 percent.

“Through this, the cabinet has sent a warning that since performance was unsatisfactory, their [private Hajj operators] quota has been reduced by 30,000— from almost 90,000 to 60,000,” Yousuf said.

He said the ministry would review performances of private tour operators this year and future quotas would be decided accordingly.

Yousuf spoke about the Munazzam system adopted by Pakistan, which refers to clustering private Hajj operators into larger groups to meet Saudi Arabia’s regulatory requirements.

“Last year there were 41 clusters which have now been reduced to 25 this year,” he said.

Under the Kingdom’s rules, only companies handling a minimum of 2,000 pilgrims can directly operate Hajj services. Since most Pakistani private Hajj operators are small and don’t individually meet this threshold, they are grouped together into clusters called Munazzam.

‘STRICT ACTION’ AGAINST BEGGARS

Yousuf said the government is working hard to reduce Hajj expenses, adding that the early completion of procedures would help to achieve this.

Under the government scheme, pilgrims can choose between a long Hajj package (38-42 days) and a short package (20-25 days). Costs range between Rs1,150,000 and Rs1,250,000 ($4,050–4,236).

Applicants were required to deposit the first installment of Rs500,000 [$1764] or Rs550,000 [$1941], depending on the package. The remaining dues will be collected in November.

Yousuf said the ministry has established a separate wing to take control of Umrah operations, according to the Hajj and Umrah (Regulation) Act, 2024.

“I met with the tour operators this morning as we are going to implement this act soon, and work is already underway as modalities are being finalized and registration of the Umrah tour operators is underway,” he said.

Yousuf acknowledged that previously, some Umrah pilgrims went to perform the pilgrimage but were found begging and involved in similar activities, bringing a bad name to Pakistan.

He said the Saudi government has been very strict about begging and sent letters to all countries, urging them to strengthen their systems to prevent the illegal practice.

“It was a mafia-like network, and we have now strictly prohibited it and strict action will be taken against anyone found involved in such practices,” Yousuf said.


Pakistan forms committee to negotiate financial advisory services for Islamabad airport privatization

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan forms committee to negotiate financial advisory services for Islamabad airport privatization

  • Committee to engage Asian Development Bank to negotiate terms of financial advisory services agreement, says privatization ministry
  • Inaugurated in 2018, Islamabad airport has faced criticism over construction delays, poor facilities and operational inefficiencies

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Privatization Ministry announced on Wednesday that it has formed a committee to engage the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to negotiate a potential financial advisory services agreement for the privatization of Islamabad International Airport.

The Islamabad International Airport, inaugurated in 2018 at a cost of over $1 billion, has faced criticism over construction delays, poor facilities, and operational inefficiencies.

The Negotiation Committee formed by the Privatization Commission will engage with the ADB to negotiate the terms of a potential Financial Advisory Services Agreement (FASA) for the airport’s privatization, the ministry said. 

“The Negotiation Committee has been mandated to undertake negotiations and submit its recommendations to the Board for consideration and approval, in line with the applicable regulatory framework,” the Privatization Ministry said in a statement. 

The ministry said Islamabad airport operations will be outsourced under a concession model through an open and competitive process to enhance its operational efficiency and improve service delivery standards. 

Pakistan has recently sought to privatize or outsource management of several state-run enterprises under conditions agreed with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) as part of a $7 billion bailout approved in September last year.

Islamabad hopes outsourcing airport operations will bring operational expertise, enhance passenger experience and restore confidence in the aviation sector.

In December 2025, Pakistan’s government successfully privatized its national flag carrier Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), selling 75 percent of its stakes to a consortium led by the Arif Habib Group. 

The group secured a 75 percent stake in the PIA for Rs135 billion ($482 million) after several rounds of bidding, valuing the airline at Rs180 billion ($643 million).

Pakistan’s Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb said this week the government has handed over 26 state-owned enterprises to the Privatization Commission.