MADRID: The Israel-Premier Tech cycling team have removed their full name from riders’ jerseys for the rest of the Vuelta a Espana after pro-Palestinian protesters disrupted the finish on stage 11.
Wednesday’s stage ended without a winner after organizers decided to take the time at three kilometers before the line as police struggled to contain hundreds of Palestinian flag-waving protesters in Bilbao.
The Israel-Premier Tech team were also stopped on the road by a group of protesters holding Palestinian flags during last week’s team time trial in Figueres.
“In the interest of prioritising the safety of our riders and the entire peloton, in light of the dangerous nature of some protests at the Vuelta, Israel-Premier Tech has issued riders with team monogram-branded kit for the remainder of the race,” the team said in a statement on Saturday.
“The team name remains Israel-Premier Tech but the monogram kit now aligns with the branding decisions we have previously adopted for our vehicles and casual clothing.”
Before stage 11, the Professional Cyclists’ Association (CPA) had called for better security at the Vuelta after a number of incidents involving protesters led to concern over rider safety, with the Israel-Premier Tech team the main target.
After Wednesday’s incident, the team said they remained committed to continuing the race and respected everyone’s “right to protest, as long as those protests remain peaceful and do not compromise the safety of the peloton.”
Israel Premier team take name off kit after pro-Palestinian protests disrupt Vuelta
https://arab.news/p3cfx
Israel Premier team take name off kit after pro-Palestinian protests disrupt Vuelta
- The Israel-Premier Tech team were also stopped on the road by a group of protesters holding Palestinian flags during last week’s team time trial in Figueres
- “Israel-Premier Tech has issued riders with team monogram-branded kit for the remainder of the race,” the team said
Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed
- After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10
ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.
From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.
The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.
In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.
Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.
This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.
Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.
Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”
“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.
“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”










