Gaza ‘genocide’ exposes Europe’s failure to act: top EU official

EU Executive Vice President for Clean, Just, and Competitive Transition, Teresa Ribera. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 04 September 2025
Follow

Gaza ‘genocide’ exposes Europe’s failure to act: top EU official

  • Top EU officials have so far shied away from calling Israel’s actions in the territory a “genocide”

PARIS: One of the European Union’s most senior officials on Thursday called the war in Gaza a “genocide,” ramping up criticism of Israel and slamming the 27-nation bloc for failing to act to stop it.
“The genocide in Gaza exposes Europe’s failure to act and speak with one voice,” European Commission vice president Teresa Ribera said during a speech in Paris.
Top EU officials have so far shied away from calling Israel’s actions in the territory a “genocide.” One spokesman said it was for the courts to make a legal judgment on whether genocide was happening.
The EU has struggled to take steps over the war in Gaza due to deep divisions between member states pushing for action against Israel and those backing the country.
The splits are also present inside the EU’s executive, where Spanish commissioner Ribera has expressed frustration over the failure to push on the issue.
Ribera’s use of the term “genocide” could put more pressure on EU commission chief Ursula von der Leyen to take a tougher stance against Israel.
Von der Leyen’s commission in July proposed cutting funding to Israeli start-ups over the war in Gaza, but so far the move has not received the backing of a majority of countries.
Nearly two years into the devastating conflict, Israel has built up its forces in recent days, with troops operating on the outskirts of Gaza City, the Palestinian territory’s largest urban center.
The United Nations estimates that nearly one million people live in and around Gaza City in the territory’s north, where it has declared famine.


Macron asks Meloni not to ‘comment’ on France’s affairs after activist remark

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Macron asks Meloni not to ‘comment’ on France’s affairs after activist remark

  • The killing has fueled political tensions in France ahead of municipal elections in March
  • Meloni said the killing of Deranque was “a wound for all of Europe“

NEW DELHI: President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday called on Giorgia Meloni to stop “commenting on what is happening in other people’s countries,” after the Italian prime minister expressed shock at the fatal beating of a far-right activist in France.
Quentin Deranque, 23, died from head injuries after being attacked by at least six people last week on the sidelines of a far-right protest at a university in the city of Lyon. Most of the 11 suspects detained are from far left movements, according to a source close to the investigation.
The killing has fueled political tensions in France ahead of municipal elections in March and the 2027 presidential race, in which the far-right National Rally (RN) party is seen as having its best chance yet at winning the top job.
On Wednesday, Meloni said the killing of Deranque was “a wound for all of Europe.”
“Let everyone stay in their own lane,” Macron shot back in New Delhi, on the sidelines of an official visit to India.
Macron also said there was no place in France “for movements that adopt and legitimize violence.”
“Nothing can justify violent action — neither on one side nor the other, and not even in a head-to-head confrontation that is deadly for the republic,” he said.
Macron is “concerned about the situation, which he is closely monitoring,” a member of the French president’s team said earlier Thursday.
“We must avoid any spiral of violence,” they said.
Eleven people — eight men and three women — were taken into custody as part of the investigation into “intentional homicide.”
Among them are two parliamentary assistants to Raphael Arnault, a member of parliament from the hard-left France Unbowed (LFI) party, as well as a former intern.
A lawyer for Deranque’s parents said they called “for calm and restraint.”
“The family condemns any call for violence. Any form of political violence,” Fabien Rajon told broadcaster RTL.
On Wednesday, Jordan Bardella, head of the far-right National Rally (RN), accused Macron and former prime ministers Gabriel Attal and Edouard Philippe of boosting the hard-left.