Maduro says US warships with 1,200 missiles targeting Venezuela

A woman walks her dog past a mural depicting Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro in Caracas on September 1, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 September 2025
Follow

Maduro says US warships with 1,200 missiles targeting Venezuela

  • Nicolas Maduro said that ‘in response to maximum military pressure, we have declared maximum readiness to defend Venezuela’
  • US military deployment was welcomed by Guyana’s President Irfaan Ali as ‘anything to eliminate any threat to our security’

CARACAS: Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said Monday that eight US military vessels with 1,200 missiles were targeting his country, which he declared to be in a state of “maximum readiness to defend” itself.
The United States, which accuses Maduro of heading a drug cartel, has announced a deployment of warships to the south Caribbean in what it labeled an anti-drug trafficking operation. It has made no invasion threat.
Yet Maduro railed at a meeting with international media in Caracas Monday against “the greatest threat that has been seen on our continent in the last 100 years” in the form of “eight military ships with 1,200 missiles and a submarine targeting Venezuela.”
One of the ships, a guided missile cruiser, was spotted going through the Panama Canal from the Pacific to the Caribbean Friday night.
Maduro said that “in response to maximum military pressure, we have declared maximum readiness to defend Venezuela.”
He said more than eight million Venezuelans have enlisted as reservists. Caracas has already announced increased patrols of its territorial waters.
Washington has doubled to $50 million a bounty for the capture of Maduro, whose re-election in 2024 and 2018 were not recognized by the United States or much of the international community amid allegations of fraud and voter oppression.

Known for his fiery, often anti-US tirades, Maduro on Monday said lines of communication with the United States have broken down, and vowed his country “will never give in to blackmail or threats of any kind.”
At the press conference, he warned that US Secretary of State Marco Rubio sought to lead President Donald Trump “into a bloodbath... with a massacre against the people of Venezuela.”
The US military deployment was welcomed, however, by Guyana’s President Irfaan Ali as “anything to eliminate any threat to our security.”
Georgetown and Caracas are engaged in a dispute over the oil-rich border region of Essequibo, which makes up two-thirds of Guyana’s territory but is also claimed by Venezuela.
The bilateral rhetoric has escalated since ExxonMobil discovered massive oil deposits a decade ago off the coast of Essequibo, which has been administered by Guyana for over 100 years.

Maduro has been in Trump’s crosshairs since the Republican’s first term from 2017 to 2021.
But Trump’s policy of maximum pressure on Venezuela, including an oil embargo, has failed to dislodge Maduro from power.
Analysts have told AFP the US military deployment was unlikely to result in any invasion or attack, but rather sought to ramp up pressure on Maduro — who has repeatedly accused Trump of attempting to bring about regime change.
Last week, Caracas petitioned the United Nations to intervene in the dispute by demanding “the immediate cessation of the US military deployment in the Caribbean.”
On Monday, Maduro said Venezuela was prepared for “a period of armed struggle in defense of the national territory” in case of an attack.


Russia military police building collapses near Saint Petersburg, causes unclear: governor

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Russia military police building collapses near Saint Petersburg, causes unclear: governor

  • Sertolovo is a small village just outside Saint Petersburg
  • Local media outlet 47news reported that three people died in the incident, citing emergency services

MOSCOW: A Russian military police building collapsed on the grounds of an army base outside Saint Petersburg, the local governor said Tuesday, adding that authorities were probing the causes of the incident.
“I have instructed the security forces to assist the military in clearing the rubble and rescuing victims following the collapse of a military police building on the territory of a military unit in Sertolovo,” governor Alexander Drozdenko said.
“The causes of the incident are being investigated,” he added.
Sertolovo is a small village just outside Saint Petersburg, Russia’s second-biggest city.
Local media outlet 47news reported that three people died in the incident, citing emergency services.
It reported that the collapse was caused by an “explosion.”
The outlet also published an unverified photo purporting to show the building, a grey three-story block with damage visible on at least two floors.
Russia has been regularly hit with sabotage attacks on military bases and civilian infrastructure since the start of its Ukraine offensive nearly four years ago.
Gas leaks are a frequent cause for explosions in Soviet-era buildings in Russia, although authorities gave no immediate indication this was the cause.