Modi receives Beijing’s top diplomat as India-China tensions ease amid US trade war

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi (left) meets China’s foreign minister Wang Yi in New Delhi, on August 19, 2025. (@narendramodi/X)
Short Url
Updated 19 August 2025
Follow

Modi receives Beijing’s top diplomat as India-China tensions ease amid US trade war

  • India-China relations have been tense since deadly clashes along their border in 2020
  • Disruption from Trump’s tariffs created an opening for the Asian powers to repair ties

NEW DELHI: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi received China’s top diplomat on Tuesday, as the Asian powers resumed disputed border talks after years of tensions.

The neighbors and the world’s two most populous countries have been locked in a standoff triggered by deadly clashes along their Himalayan border, known as the Line of Actual Control, in 2020.

Tens of thousands of troops, tanks, and artillery have since been deployed on both sides of the LAC, with both countries building new roads, bunkers, and airstrips in the high-altitude area.

Despite multiple rounds of military and diplomatic engagements, friction points remained, with India restricting Chinese investments, banning dozens of Chinese apps, and scrutinizing trade ties, as it deepened relations with Beijing’s rivals — the US, Japan, and Australia.

But a recent disruption caused earlier this month by US President Donald Trump’s trade war, in which he unexpectedly hiked the total duty on Indian exports to 50 percent, has created an opening for the Asian powers to seek to repair ties.

Wang Yi, China’s foreign minister, arrived in New Delhi for a three-day visit on Monday. Ahead of meeting Modi, he held talks with his counterpart, S. Jaishankar, who told him in his welcome speech that after a “difficult period” in bilateral relations, the “two nations now seek to move ahead.”

Jaishankar said the visit would cover economic and trade issues, including cross-border trade, as well as people-to-people contacts.

Wang also met India’s national security adviser, Ajit Doval, for the 24th round of talks to discuss de-escalation of border tensions, and said he was ready to work with India “to build more consensus and identify the direction, the specific goals of the boundary consultations going forward, and create more conditions for the improvement and further growth” of bilateral relations.

A thaw between India and China began last year, when Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping held their first bilateral meeting in five years at a summit of BRICS nations in Russia’s Kazan.

They are expected to meet again later this month as Modi will visit China for a summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization. This will be the Indian prime minister’s first official trip to China in over six years.

“Both are moving gradually to try and normalize a relationship. If you go back to October last year when Prime Minister Modi met President Xi Jinping, you saw the beginnings of some sort of an effort toward normalization,” Manoj Kewalramani, chairperson of the Indo-Pacific Research Program and a China studies fellow at the Takshashila Institution, told Arab News.

But after years of freeze, the change was not likely to happen immediately.

Kewalramani expected that as the two countries resumed talks, they would be followed by more engagements at the levels of commerce, finance and industry and technology ministers.

“We can start to build on areas where there are commonalities and where are shared interests that would inject some sort of stability not only in the relationship but also in the geopolitics of the region,” he said.

“One can argue that the disruption that Donald Trump has caused has led to some degree of urgency, but I don’t think you’re going to see an overnight change in the relationship. I think what you are going to see is a slow, cautious, calibrated effort by both sides to try and arrive at some sort of a new equilibrium.”


Pakistan arrests woman suspected of planning suicide attack in northwest

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan arrests woman suspected of planning suicide attack in northwest

  • Police say suspect had training and links to a banned militant organization
  • Arrest comes amid a renewed surge in militant violence in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s counterterrorism police announced the arrest of a young female suicide bomber in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province on Saturday, saying they have seized a pistol, communication devices and other materials from her possession.

The arrest was made in Dera Ismail Khan district amid a renewed surge in militant violence in KP, where security forces have faced frequent attacks in recent years. Islamabad has blamed the spike on cross-border militancy from neighboring Afghanistan, accusing the administration in Kabul of “facilitating” assaults against civilians and security personnel.

The allegation has been denied by the Afghan Taliban.

The Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) said it acted on intelligence in the Sheikh Yousaf tent settlement area of the district, where a special weapons and tactics team conducted a raid and detained the suspect.

“The arrested suicide attacker was the right-hand woman of the deceased khariji Shah Wali, also known as Tariq Kochi, and had continued to receive training from him,” the CTD said in a statement.

“The equipment and target for the suicide attack were to be provided by khariji commander Asim, according to the alleged confession of the suspected female suicide attacker,” it added.

Pakistani authorities refer to Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militants as “khariji,” a term drawn from Islamic history for an extremist sect that rebelled against authority and declared other Muslims apostates.

The statement, which identified the suspect only by the initial “Z,” said she was a resident of Waziristan.

The CTD said a pistol with ammunition, two mobile phones, a tablet device, a power bank and other materials were recovered from the site.

It added that information extracted from the suspect’s mobile phones indicated contact with a proscribed group and preparations linked to a potential suicide bombing.

Female suicide bombers are relatively rare in Pakistan, though separatist militants in Balochistan have used women in recent attacks, including coordinated gun and bomb assaults across multiple districts in the southwestern province last month.

Recent attacks in KP have included suicide bombings, assaults on security checkpoints, police stations and paramilitary facilities, as well as kidnappings of government officials.