Malian army roots out alleged anti-junta plotters

Mali's junta leader Assimi Goita attends the first ordinary summit of heads of state and governments of the Alliance of Sahel States (AES) in Niamey, Niger July 6, 2024. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 11 August 2025
Follow

Malian army roots out alleged anti-junta plotters

  • Since 2012, Mali has been wracked with crises on various fronts, with extremists linked to Al-Qaeda or Daesh carrying out violent attacks across the Sahel nation

BAMAKO: Mali’s junta has carried out arrests to quash an alleged plot to overthrow the government within the army’s ranks, sources said, but the circumstances of the detentions remain unexplained.
The junta, which itself came to power in back-to-back coups in 2020 and 2021, has made 55 arrests, mainly among the National Guard, the military branch from which Defense Minister General Sadio Camara hails.
The military-backed government has yet to officially comment on the crackdown, which comes as the army is locked in fighting with terrorists and separatists.
The arrests, which began last week and continued into early Monday, were carried out by the junta following what a security and military source said were “destabilization” attempts.
While Defense Minister Camara, a key figure within the ruling junta, has not been questioned, observers say several of those apprehended are believed to be officers close to him.
According to a Malian security source, civilians could also be questioned soon.
Two generals were among those detained, including Abass Dembele, a former governor of the central Mopti region and a respected military officer.
Gen. Nema Sagara, a rare woman to serve as brigadier general in the Malian Air Force, who also hailed from the center of the country, was the other.
“The situation is a bit complex,” one African diplomat stationed in Bamako said. 
“The government’s silence while arrests have been ongoing for at least four days deserves reflection.”
“Are we dealing with preventive arrests? Were the arrested soldiers in the phase of destabilizing the (junta), as we understand it?” the source asked.
Since 2012, Mali has been wracked with crises on various fronts, with extremists linked to Al-Qaeda or Daesh carrying out violent attacks across the Sahel nation.
Mali’s junta has ramped up repression of its critics in the face of the terrorist unrest.
For Malian sociologist Oumar Maiga, the spate of arrests within the army’s ranks was “proof that the officers are struggling to control the situation.”
When junta chief Gen. Assimi Goita took power after deposing President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita in 2020, he insisted he was committed to the fight against jihadist violence and initially pledged a return to civilian rule.
But the military ultimately reneged on its promise to cede power to elected civilians by the deadline it had set.
The junta announced in May the dissolution of all political parties and organizations, as well as a ban on meetings.
Then in July, Goita extended his military rule for at least five more years without an election.
Gen. Goita’s rule has marked a turning point in Mali’s relationship with the West. 
The country has broken ties with France and other former allies, pivoting toward Russia instead.
Mali and its junta-led neighbors Burkina Faso and Niger have teamed up to create their own confederation, the Alliance of Sahel States, or AES, and have announced the creation of a 5,000-strong force for joint military operations.
Meanwhile, the Malian army and its Russian mercenary allies, which are tasked in particular with tracking down extremists, are regularly accused of rights violations against civilians.

 


Federal judge accuses Trump administration of ‘terror’ against immigrants in scathing ruling

Updated 10 sec ago
Follow

Federal judge accuses Trump administration of ‘terror’ against immigrants in scathing ruling

  • The judge said that the White House had also “extended its violence on its own citizens”
  • “The threats posed by the executive branch cannot be viewed in isolation”

CALIFRONIA: A federal judge has accused the Trump administration of terrorizing immigrants and recklessly violating the law in its efforts to deport millions of people living in the country illegally.
Citing the deaths of Renee Good and Alex Pretti in Minnesota, the judge said that the White House had also “extended its violence on its own citizens.”
“The threats posed by the executive branch cannot be viewed in isolation,” US District Judge Sunshine Sykes in Riverside, California said in her scathing decision issued late Wednesday.
Sykes ordered the US Department of Homeland Security to provide detained immigrants around the country with notice of her earlier decisions that they may be eligible to seek release on bond.
Under past administrations, people with no criminal record could generally request a bond hearing before an immigration judge while their cases wound through immigration court unless they were stopped at the border. President Donald Trump ‘s White House reversed that policy in favor of mandatory detention.
Sykes, who was nominated by President Joe Biden, a Democrat, ruled in November and again in December that the change violated the law and extended her decision to immigrants nationwide. The Republican administration, however, has continued denying bond hearings.
That has prompted thousands of immigrants to file separate petitions in federal court seeking their release. More than 20,000 habeas corpus cases have been filed since Trump’s inauguration, according to federal court records analyzed by the AP.
An email Thursday to the Department of Homeland Security was not immediately returned.
Sykes said Wednesday by violating her decision, the administration had “wasted valuable time and resources” and deprived immigrants of their “liberty, economic stability, and fundamental dignity.”
She also slammed the claim that the immigration crackdown was removing the worst criminals, saying most of the people arrested did not fit that description.
“Americans have expressed deep concerns over unlawful, wanton acts by the executive branch,” she wrote. “Beyond its terror against noncitizens, the executive branch has extended its violence on its own citizens, killing two American citizens— Renée Good and Alex Pretti in Minnesota.”