The Paris office of Israeli airline El Al is vandalized with graffiti

1 / 2
Israeli airline El Al Paris office is seen vandalized with anti-Israel graffiti, Aug. 7, 2025 in Paris. (AP)
2 / 2
Israeli airline El Al Paris office is seen vandalized with anti-Israel graffiti, Aug. 7, 2025 in Paris. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 07 August 2025
Follow

The Paris office of Israeli airline El Al is vandalized with graffiti

  • Red paint and the words “El Al genocide airline” were discovered Thursday morning on the door outside the airline’s office
  • The airline said it was handling the matter with the “utmost gravity”

PARIS: The Israeli airline El Al said Thursday that its Paris office was vandalized with anti-Israel graffiti, calling the act a “deeply disturbing” incident as tensions between France and Israel run high.

Red paint and the words “El Al genocide airline” were discovered Thursday morning on the door outside the airline’s office in the center of the French capital. El Al said that no one was in the office at the time of the incident and that no one was harmed.

The airline said it was handling the matter with the “utmost gravity” and working in close coordination with authorities in France and Israel. El Al added it “unequivocally condemns all forms of violence, particularly those driven by hatred,” and said its planes “proudly” display the Israeli flag.

French authorities announced that they opened opened an investigation into building “degradation” with a racist or ethnically prejudicial intent.

Israeli Transportation Minister Miri Regev condemned the act and blamed the policies of French President Emmanuel Macron. “Today it’s El Al, tomorrow it’s Air France,” she wrote on social media. “When President Macron makes announcements that give gifts to Hamas, this is the result.”

The incident comes amid diplomatic friction following Macron’s pledge last month to recognize a Palestinian state — a move welcomed by some European allies but strongly opposed by Israel.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry also condemned what it called an antisemitic attack and urged the French government to ensure the safety of El Al staff and offices and to bring the perpetrators to justice.

In May, several Jewish sites across Paris were defaced with green paint, including the Shoah Memorial, three synagogues and a Jewish restaurant.

France is home to Western Europe’s largest Jewish population, with an estimated 500,000 Jews — approximately 1 percent of the national population.

In recent years, antisemitic incidents have surged, with a sharp increase reported in 2023 after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks in Israel. These include physical assaults, threats, vandalism, and harassment, prompting alarm among Jewish communities and leaders.


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.