Lebanon tasks army with setting plan to restrict arms to state

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun, PM Nawaf Salam and cabinet members stand for a minute of silence to remember the fifth anniversary of the Beirut port explosion, during a meeting to discuss efforts to bring all weapons in the country under the control of the state, at the Presidential Palace in Baabda, Aug. 5, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 05 August 2025
Follow

Lebanon tasks army with setting plan to restrict arms to state

  • Salam said the government “tasked the Lebanese army with setting an implementation plan to restrict weapons” to the army
  • The plan is to be presented to the cabinet by the end of August for discussion and approval

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s government on Tuesday tasked the army with developing a plan to restrict arms to the state by year end, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said, an unprecedented move that paves the way for disarming Hezbollah.

After a nearly six-hour cabinet session headed by President Joseph Aoun on disarming the Iran-backed militant group, Salam said the government “tasked the Lebanese army with setting an implementation plan to restrict weapons” to the army and other state forces “before the end of this year.”

The plan is to be presented to the cabinet by the end of August for discussion and approval, he told a press conference after the marathon session.

A November ceasefire deal that sought to end more than a year of hostilities including two months of all-out war between Israel and Hezbollah stated that Lebanese government authorities such as the army, security forces and local police are “the exclusive bearers of weapons in Lebanon.”

Salam said the cabinet would continue discussions this week on a proposal from US envoy Tom Barrack that includes a timetable for disarming Hezbollah.

Information Minister Paul Morcos said that the cabinet “set a deadline of the end of the year to consolidate arms in the hands of the Lebanese state.”

He said Hezbollah-affiliated Health Minister Rakan Nassereldine and Environment Minister Tamara Elzein, who is affiliated with its ally the Amal movement, “withdrew from the session because they did not agree with the cabinet decision.”

Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem had said a short time earlier, as the cabinet was in session, that “any timetable presented for implementation under... Israeli aggression cannot be agreed to.”

“Whoever looks at the deal Barrack brought doesn’t find an agreement but dictates,” he said, arguing that “it removes the strength and capabilities of Hezbollah and Lebanon entirely.”


Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding Daesh affiliated families

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding Daesh affiliated families

ROJ CAMP: Syrian Kurdish forces on Monday released 34 Australians from a camp ​holding families of suspected Daesh militants in northern Syria, saying they would be flown to Australia from Damascus.
Hukmiya Mohamed, a co-director of Roj camp, told Reuters that the ‌34 Australians ‌had been ​released ‌to ⁠members ​of their families ⁠who had come to Syria for the release. They were put on small buses for Damascus.
Roj camp holds more than 2,000 people from 40 ⁠different nationalities, the majority of ‌them women ‌and children.
Thousands of ​people believed ‌to be linked to Daesh militants have been held at Roj and a second camp, Al-Hol, since the militant group was driven ‌from its final territorial foothold in Syria in 2019.
Syrian ⁠government ⁠forces seized swathes of northern Syria from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in January, before agreeing a ceasefire on January 29.
The US military last week completed a mission to transfer 5,700 adult male Daesh detainees from Syria to ​Iraq.