BEIJING: A large protest erupted in the southwestern Chinese city of Jiangyou, videos on social media showed, after the beating of a young girl by three other teenagers sparked public outrage.
Protests are rare in China, where any and all opposition to the ruling Communist Party and anything seen as a threat to the civil order is swiftly quashed.
But bullying in the country’s ultra-competitive education system has touched a public nerve, with a high-profile killing last year sparking national debate over how the law deals with juvenile offenders.
On Monday, police said two teenage girls were being sent to a correctional school for assaulting and verbally abusing a 14-year-old girl surnamed Lai.
The beating, which took place last month and left multiple bruises on Lai’s scalp and knees, was filmed by bystanders who shared it online, police said.
The onlookers and a third girl who participated in the abuse were “criticized and educated,” police said, adding that their guardians had been “ordered to exercise strict discipline.”
The case drew outrage online from some lamenting the teenagers’ punishment did not go further.
And later on Monday, people gathered outside the city hall in Jiangyou, in Sichuan province, with large crowds stretching around the block, footage showed.
Video confirmed by AFP to have been taken outside the city hall showed at least two people forcibly pulled aside by a group of blue-shirted and plainclothes police as well as a woman in a black dress dragged away by her limbs.
“They’re sweeping away citizens everywhere,” a person can be heard saying as the woman is dragged away.
More footage taken after dark showed police wearing black SWAT uniforms subduing at least three people at an intersection with hundreds of bystanders.
On Tuesday, the city of Jiangyou was the second top-trending topic on the X-like Weibo, before it and related hashtags were censored.
“The sentence is too light... that is why they were so arrogant,” one top-liked Weibo comment under the police statement read.
On Tuesday, local authorities said on WeChat that police had punished two people for fabricating information about the school bullying case, warning the public against spreading rumors.
Last year Chinese authorities vowed to crack down on school bullying after a high-profile murder case.
In December, a court sentenced a teenage boy to life in prison for murdering his classmate.
The suspects, all aged under 14 at the time of the murder, were accused of bullying a 13-year-old classmate over a long period before killing him in an abandoned greenhouse.
Another boy was given 12 years in prison, while a third whom the court found did not harm the victim was sentenced to correctional education.
Rare protest in China over schoolgirl beaten by teens
Short Url
https://arab.news/5ze2q
Rare protest in China over schoolgirl beaten by teens
- Protests are rare in China but bullying in the country’s ultra-competitive education system has touched a public nerve, with a high profile killing last year sparking national debate over how the law deals with juvenile offenders
Approval of Norwegian royals tumbles after repeated scandals
- Just 60 percent of Norwegians support the royal family, down 10 points from a month earlier
OSLO: The Norwegian royal family’s popularity has fallen to its lowest ever after a series of scandals, according to a poll published Saturday by public broadcaster NRK.
Just 60 percent of Norwegians support the royal family, down 10 points from a month earlier, a level “that has never been so low,” according to NRK.
Princess Mette-Marit, who married Crown Prince Haakon in 2001, appears multiple times in the millions of pages released by the US Department of Justice, revealing an unsuspected complicity between her and the convicted American sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Her son, Marius Borg Hoiby, born from a brief relationship prior to her marriage to Haakon, is on trial for 38 charges, including four counts of rape and violence.
The 29-year-old, who is not a member of the royal family, denies the most serious accusations.
In another opinion poll published by TV2 at the end of January, 47.6 percent of respondents said that Mette-Marit should not become queen, while only 28.9 percent said she should.
King Harald, who turned 89 on Saturday, remains the most popular member of the royal family, according to the poll, which was conducted by the Norstat institute on a sample of more than a thousand people.
Just 60 percent of Norwegians support the royal family, down 10 points from a month earlier, a level “that has never been so low,” according to NRK.
Princess Mette-Marit, who married Crown Prince Haakon in 2001, appears multiple times in the millions of pages released by the US Department of Justice, revealing an unsuspected complicity between her and the convicted American sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Her son, Marius Borg Hoiby, born from a brief relationship prior to her marriage to Haakon, is on trial for 38 charges, including four counts of rape and violence.
The 29-year-old, who is not a member of the royal family, denies the most serious accusations.
In another opinion poll published by TV2 at the end of January, 47.6 percent of respondents said that Mette-Marit should not become queen, while only 28.9 percent said she should.
King Harald, who turned 89 on Saturday, remains the most popular member of the royal family, according to the poll, which was conducted by the Norstat institute on a sample of more than a thousand people.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










