Clock ticks on US tariff hikes as Trump expands trade wars

1 / 2
Activists hold signs during a protest against US President Donald Trump's tariffs policy near the US Embassy in Seoul, South Korea, on July 31, 2025. (REUTERS)
2 / 2
A train transports containers in Ajmer, India, on July 7, 2025. US President Donald Trump said on July 30, 2025 that imports from India will face 25 percent tariffs, while also announcing an unspecified "penalty" over New Delhi's purchases of Russian weapons and energy. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 July 2025
Follow

Clock ticks on US tariff hikes as Trump expands trade wars

  • Trump slapped 50 percent duties on imports from Brazil, saying its government’s policies and actions threaten US national security
  • After twice postponing implementation of his threatened tariffs, he said the August 1 deadline “will not be extended” any further

WASHINGTON: Time is running short for governments to strike deals with Washington to avert tariff hikes that Donald Trump has vowed against dozens of economies — and the US president continues to expand his trade wars.
As the clock ticked down on a Friday deadline for higher levies to take effect on goods from various trading partners, Trump announced a trade deal with South Korea and separate duties on Brazilian and Indian imports.
He also signed an order Wednesday to impose previously-threatened 50 percent tariffs on certain copper products and end a tariff exemption for low-value shipments from abroad.
The tariff hikes due Friday were initially announced in April as part of a package where Trump slapped a 10 percent levy on goods from almost all trading partners — citing unfair trade practices.
This rate was set to rise to varying levels for dozens of economies like the European Union, Japan and others, but Washington twice postponed their implementation as financial markets gyrated.
So far, Britain, Vietnam, Japan, Indonesia, the Philippines, the EU and South Korea have reached initial deals with Washington to secure less punishing conditions.
While the United States and China earlier slapped escalating tariffs on each other’s products, both sides are working to further a truce maintaining duties at lower levels.

But Trump has been pushing ahead in his efforts to reshape global trade.
The US leader insisted Wednesday that the August 1 deadline “will not be extended” any further.
In a Truth Social post, he vowed that this would be “a big day for America.”
Although Trump has promised a surge in government revenues from his duties, economists warn that higher tariffs can fuel an uptick in inflation and weigh on economic growth. This could change consumption patterns.
Already, consumers face an overall average effective tariff rate that is the highest since the 1930s, according to a recent analysis by The Budget Lab at Yale University.
The effect on consumer prices has been limited so far. But analysts cautioned this could become more pronounced as businesses run down on existing inventory and pass on more costs to buyers.

Among Trump’s latest announcements were a 25 percent duty on Indian goods to begin Friday — slightly lower than previously threatened — after talks between Washington and New Delhi failed to bring about a trade pact.
India would face an unspecified “penalty” over purchases of Russian weapons and energy as well, Trump said.
He also unveiled a 50 percent tariff on Brazilian goods, saying its government’s policies and actions threaten US national security.
But he delayed its implementation from Friday to August 6 and crucially exempted many products from the prohibitive levy, including orange juice, civil aircraft, iron ore and some energy products.
Trump inked an order too for a 50 percent tariff to kick in Friday on goods like copper pipes and wiring, making good on an earlier vow to impose these duties.
But the levy, which came after a Commerce Department probe on national security grounds, was less sweeping than anticipated.
It left out products like copper ores, concentrates and cathodes, bringing some relief to industry.
Meanwhile, Seoul landed a deal with Trump in which South Korean products would face a 15 percent tariff when entering the United States — significantly below a 25 percent level threatened.
 


Putin says developing Russia’s nuclear forces ‘absolute priority’

Updated 23 February 2026
Follow

Putin says developing Russia’s nuclear forces ‘absolute priority’

  • Putin vowed to keep “strengthening the army and navy” and draw on military experience from the nearly four-year conflict in Ukraine

MOSCOW: President Vladimir Putin said Sunday that developing Russia’s nuclear forces was now an “absolute priority” following the expiry of its last remaining nuclear treaty with the US.
“The development of the nuclear triad, which guarantees Russia’s security and ensures effective strategic deterrence and a balance of forces in the world, remains an absolute priority,” Putin said in a video message.
His speech came on Russia’s “Defender of the Fatherland Day,” a holiday that is an occasion for military pomp and Kremlin-sponsored patriotism.
Putin vowed to keep “strengthening the army and navy” and draw on military experience from the nearly four-year conflict in Ukraine.
All branches of the armed forces would be improved, he said, including their “combat readiness, their mobility, and their ability to operate in all conditions, even the most difficult.”
Putin’s remarks came just two days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s assault on Ukraine that sparked a war that has shattered towns, uprooted millions and killed large numbers on both sides.
Moscow and Washington — the world’s two main nuclear powers — are no longer bound by any arms control pact since the New START agreement expired earlier this month.
But Russia said it would continue taking a “responsible” approach to strategic nuclear capability and respecting the limits set on its arsenal.