CM Gandapur to lead Peshawar rally as Imran Khan’s party finalizes Aug. 5 protest plans

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur (third right) holds a portrait of Pakistan's former prime minister Imran Khan, during a protest against the alleged skewing in Pakistan's national election results, in Peshawar on February 17, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 29 July 2025
Follow

CM Gandapur to lead Peshawar rally as Imran Khan’s party finalizes Aug. 5 protest plans

  • The federal, Punjab governments have repeatedly warned in recent weeks they would not tolerate any form of violence in protests
  • Political analysts voice doubts about the ability of Khan’s party to stage effective protest, citing ‘internal fragmentation, leadership crisis’

ISLAMABAD: Jailed former prime minister Imran Khan’s party said on Tuesday that it has finalized all preparations for a “strong and large” protest on Aug. 5, with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur set to lead the main rally in Peshawar.

Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party announced a 90-day “do or die” protest movement on July 13, saying it would peak on August 5, the second anniversary of Khan’s arrest.

The PTI has staged several protests in recent years to secure Khan’s release and demand an audit of the February 2024 general election, with a number of demonstrations resulting in clashes with law enforcers and in some cases paralyzing the capital Islamabad for days.

Pakistan’s election authorities deny the allegation of election irregularities, while the federal and Punjab governments have repeatedly warned in recent weeks that they would not tolerate any form of violence, accusing the PTI of trying to derail efforts for sustainable economic growth.

“We have completed our preparations and instructions have been issued to all district-level leaders to mobilize the public,” CM Gandapur told media on Tuesday, adding the party would move forward with its protest plan.

“I will lead a historic and the largest rally in Peshawar and other districts in the province will also arrange their rallies.”

Arab News reached out to the information and interior ministries in Islamabad and Punjab for comments on the government’s strategy to respond to the protest call but did not receive a response by the time of filing of this story.

Speaking to Arab News, Syed Zulifkar Bukhari, a close Khan aide, lamented arrests of supporters and disqualification of PTI lawmakers ahead of the protest, criticizing the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP).

“The ECP has been biased toward the PTI since the times when polls were conducted and well before too. Disqualification [of lawmakers] on the basis of false charges and politically motivated cases will cause more unrest in the country, in an already highly volatile situation.”

Pakistan’s election regulator this week disqualified PTI Senator Ijaz Chaudhry, Member of National Assembly Muhammad Ahmad Chattha, and Member of Punjab Provincial Assembly Ahmad Khan following their convictions by an anti-terrorism court in cases relating to May 9, 2023 protests, when hundreds of Khan supporters attacked government and military installations over the ex-premier’s brief arrest on graft charges.

Khan’s party termed the ECP’s decision “biased,” saying its lawmakers were not even issued notices before disqualification. In a statement, the ECP rejected the allegations of biasness, saying the three lawmakers had been convicted by the anti-terrorism court and their sentences were still in effect.

Bukhari expressed hopes that a large number of people would respond to their call for protest on Aug. 5.

“We are hopeful this time not only a large gathering from across the country will stage the protest to record their concern over illegal incarceration of former prime minister Khan and [his wife] Bushra Bibi, but also that the cornered quarters will heed to the solidarity at display,” he said.

But analysts were skeptical of an impressive show of political strength by Khan’s party, amid “internal fragmentation.”

“I still hope that sanity will prevail and PTI will call off the protest on August 5,” Ahmed Bilal Mehboob, president of the Islamabad-based think tank Pakistan Institute of Legislative Development and Transparency (PILDAT), told Arab News.

“It may not be a very impressive show for a variety of reasons and the process of fragmentation in the party may be hastened if it is not a huge affair.”

Reports of rifts within the PTI emerged after CM Gandapur announced the 90-day protest drive against the government on July 13. The protest call appeared to contradict an earlier call for a nationwide protest posted on Khan’s official X account, set to culminate on August 5.

Speculation about differences within the party further grew after PTI Punjab’s chief organizer Aliya Hamza Malik voiced concerns on X about a lack of clarity around the protest campaign, questioning the origins of the 90-day plan and seeking details on the party’s strategy to secure Khan’s release.

Dr. Huma Baqai, another political commentator, said a possible government crackdown would deter mass mobilization and affect public participation in the protest.

“The PTI is too fragmented and facing a leadership crisis, yet it still evokes insecurities within the sitting government and perhaps even the establishment, leading to numerous arrests that are likely to have an impact,” she told Arab News.

“Interestingly, Jamaat-e-Islami has announced a rally for Palestine and Kashmir on the same day, a move seen as aimed at creating both confusion and diffusion.”


Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package

  • Overall size of Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package is $139 million, says Finance Division
  • Says remaining funds will be released as per evolving requirements, available fiscal space

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) on Thursday approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion [$67.9 million] for the Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package, the Finance Division said, with the rest of the funds to be released keeping in mind available fiscal space. 

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif last week launched a Rs39 billion ($139 million) Ramadan relief package, pledging direct digital cash transfers of Rs13,000 ($47) each to 12.1 million low-income families across Pakistan. 

Pakistan’s government launches Ramadan relief packages every year before the holy month begins to lessen the burden of inflation on low-income families. 

Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb chaired the CEC meeting on Thursday, in which participants considered a summary from the Ministry of Poverty Alleviation seeking the approval of Rs25 billion [$89.3 million] 

“The Finance Division informed the Committee that Rs19 billion had already been budgeted for the Ramzan package for the current financial year and that the remaining requirement would be released as and when necessary,” the statement said. 

“The ECC accordingly approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion to enable prompt commencement of disbursement, while agreeing that any additional funds would be considered in line with evolving requirements and available fiscal space,” it added. 

The Finance Division noted that the overall size of the package is Rs39 billion [$139 million] out of which Rs10 billion [$35.7 million] are already available with the Benazir Income Support Program (BISP), Pakistan’s largest social safety net that provides unconditional cash transfers to the poor. 

The Finance Division said Rs29 billion have been arranged through three components considered by the ECC today, including the Technical Supplementary Grant, operational expenditures and the regularization of re-appropriated funds.

“This financing structure ensures that the package is fully resourced while maintaining fiscal discipline and transparency in implementation,” it added. 

The ECC reaffirmed the government’s commitment to extending “timely and dignified” support to deserving segments of society during Ramadan, while upholding fiscal responsibility and robust oversight in the implementation of relief measures.

“It emphasized the need to balance expeditious disbursement of relief with fiscal prudence and transparency in operational expenditures,” it added. 

The government will distribute the relief package through bank accounts and regulated mobile wallet platforms, fully replacing the previous utility store-based subsidy model with a digital payment mechanism overseen by the State Bank of Pakistan.

The allocation marks a sharp increase from last year’s Rs 20 billion ($72 million) Ramadan program, as the government expands coverage and deepens its shift toward cash-based targeted subsidies.