Two policemen killed, four security men injured in separate attacks in Pakistan’s Balochistan

A paramilitary soldier stands on a road, as restoration works go on at damaged railway tracks, a day after separatist militants conducted deadly attacks, in Bolan district of Pakistan's restive province of Balochistan, Pakistan, on August 27, 2024. (REUTERS/ File)
Short Url
Updated 18 July 2025
Follow

Two policemen killed, four security men injured in separate attacks in Pakistan’s Balochistan

  • Balochistan has been the site of a long-running insurgency that has intensified in recent months
  • On Wednesday, three people were killed in Kalat district after armed men fired on a passenger bus

QUETTA: Two police officials were killed and four security personnel injured in two separate attacks in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province, authorities said on Friday.

In the deadliest incident, militants ambushed a police convoy traveling from Kalat to Quetta at Choto, a mountainous area along the Kalat-Quetta highway, according to Balochistan government spokesperson Shahid Rind.

“Terrorists ambushed the police convoy at Choto while it was en route from Kalat to Quetta,” Rind said in a statement. “The convoy consisted of two trucks and two pickups.”

“Acting DSP [Deputy Superintendent Police] Abdul Razzaq and Constable Raza Muhammad were martyred in the attack,” he continued. “Constables Taj Muhammad and Khurshid Ahmed sustained injuries and were shifted to a hospital for treatment.”

Rind said security forces and police personnel had reached the site and launched a search operation, while the bodies and injured were being airlifted to Quetta by helicopter.

The statement noted a formal investigation had been launched, and those responsible would soon be brought to justice.

Separately, armed men attacked a paramilitary Levies check-post in the Sarband area of Mastung district, injuring two personnel, according to a Levies statement.

The assailants fled following retaliatory fire by Levies troops.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for either attack.

Balochistan, Pakistan’s largest and most resource-rich province, has long grappled with a low-level insurgency by separatist groups demanding greater autonomy and control over natural resources.

Attacks on security forces, government officials and non-local workers have intensified in recent months.

Earlier this month, dozens of militants stormed Mastung, vandalized government buildings and killed a teenager while injuring 11 others.

On Wednesday, three people were killed and 12 wounded in an armed assault on a passenger bus in Kalat district. The attack followed another incident in which nine passengers from Punjab were kidnapped and killed by militants.


Pakistan plans digital wheat tracking system, steps up Ramadan price monitoring

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan plans digital wheat tracking system, steps up Ramadan price monitoring

  • Government says adequate stocks available ahead of the upcoming harvesting season
  • It instructs provinces to prevent flour price spikes during the holy month of Ramadan

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan plans to introduce digital traceability and tighter supply chain monitoring in its wheat procurement system under a new long-term policy, the food security ministry said on Saturday, as authorities move to curb price volatility during Ramadan.

The announcement followed a meeting of the National Wheat Oversight Committee chaired by Federal Minister for National Food Security and Research Rana Tanveer Hussain to review procurement arrangements, stock availability and price stability measures ahead of the upcoming harvesting season.

The review comes after riverine floods during last year’s monsoon season damaged farmlands in parts of eastern Punjab, the country’s main wheat-producing region, raising concerns about crop output. Officials at the meeting, however, expressed satisfaction over existing wheat stocks, saying sufficient supplies were available across provinces to meet national consumption needs until the arrival of the new crop.

“The Federal Minister emphasized that the current procurement framework will remain applicable for one year,” the statement said. “He stated that the Federal Government is working on a comprehensive long-term wheat policy for the period 2026–2030, aimed at strengthening national food security through modern reforms.”

“He highlighted that the upcoming policy will focus on digital traceability mechanisms, improved supply chain monitoring, enhanced transparency, and sustained price stability, enabling better coordination between the federal and provincial governments,” the statement added.

The committee was informed that the illustrative wheat procurement price has been fixed at 3,500 rupees ($12.55) per 40 kilograms, and provinces have been asked to ensure smooth implementation of procurement operations.

Special emphasis was also placed on consumer protection during Ramadan.

“The Federal Minister directed all provinces to ensure strict market monitoring and take effective administrative measures to prevent any unnecessary increase in flour prices,” the statement continued.