US reaffirms Trump’s role in India-Pakistan ceasefire, contradicting New Delhi’s denials

US State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce speaks during a press briefing at the State Department in Washington, DC, on April 15, 2025. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 09 July 2025
Follow

US reaffirms Trump’s role in India-Pakistan ceasefire, contradicting New Delhi’s denials

  • Tammy Bruce says people today can see events unfold for themselves and don’t need official statements to know what really happened
  • New Delhi has denied any US role in the ceasefire with Pakistan, while Islamabad has acknowledged and praised American involvement

ISLAMABAD: A US State Department official reaffirmed on Tuesday President Donald Trump and his top administration officials were involved in negotiations that led to a ceasefire between India and Pakistan earlier this year, contradicting repeated statements from Indian officials denying any American role.

Speaking at a State Department media briefing in Washington, spokesperson Tammy Bruce responded to a question about New Delhi’s rejection of Trump’s involvement in the truce.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and members of his cabinet have insisted that the ceasefire was achieved bilaterally, without third-party mediation.

“So many comments speak for themselves,” she said. “That’s one of the good-news aspects of our modern world — people can see what’s really occurring. You’re not reliant on a comment to know what has really happened.”

She maintained “Secretary [of State] Marco Rubio ... the Vice President of the United States [JD Vance were] also involved in the negotiations with Pakistan and India,” which was announced by President Donald Trump on May 10.

Bruce’s comments came amid continued tension between Indian and American narratives about the circumstances that led to the ceasefire after four days of intense military conflict between the two South Asian nuclear rivals.

The Trump administration announced the two countries had agreed to halt hostilities and engage in talks at a neutral venue.

While the Trump administration publicly claimed credit for defusing the crisis, New Delhi maintained silence initially. In recent weeks, however, Indian officials have pushed back against suggestions of US mediation.

Suggestions of foreign involvement in Indian foreign policy engagements in the region, particularly with Pakistan, are often politically sensitive.

The Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi announced in a statement after last month’s G7 meeting in Canada that Modi had challenged the American perspective, saying there was no US mediation in the Pakistan truce.

Subsequently, India’s Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar made similar remarks to clarify India’s position on the issue.

Pakistan, in contrast, has openly acknowledged and praised US involvement, with the government even nominating Trump for a Nobel Peace Prize following the ceasefire announcement.


Pakistan arrests woman suspected of planning suicide attack in northwest

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan arrests woman suspected of planning suicide attack in northwest

  • Police say suspect had training and links to a banned militant organization
  • Arrest comes amid a renewed surge in militant violence in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s counterterrorism police announced the arrest of a young female suicide bomber in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province on Saturday, saying they have seized a pistol, communication devices and other materials from her possession.

The arrest was made in Dera Ismail Khan district amid a renewed surge in militant violence in KP, where security forces have faced frequent attacks in recent years. Islamabad has blamed the spike on cross-border militancy from neighboring Afghanistan, accusing the administration in Kabul of “facilitating” assaults against civilians and security personnel.

The allegation has been denied by the Afghan Taliban.

The Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) said it acted on intelligence in the Sheikh Yousaf tent settlement area of the district, where a special weapons and tactics team conducted a raid and detained the suspect.

“The arrested suicide attacker was the right-hand woman of the deceased khariji Shah Wali, also known as Tariq Kochi, and had continued to receive training from him,” the CTD said in a statement.

“The equipment and target for the suicide attack were to be provided by khariji commander Asim, according to the alleged confession of the suspected female suicide attacker,” it added.

Pakistani authorities refer to Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militants as “khariji,” a term drawn from Islamic history for an extremist sect that rebelled against authority and declared other Muslims apostates.

The statement, which identified the suspect only by the initial “Z,” said she was a resident of Waziristan.

The CTD said a pistol with ammunition, two mobile phones, a tablet device, a power bank and other materials were recovered from the site.

It added that information extracted from the suspect’s mobile phones indicated contact with a proscribed group and preparations linked to a potential suicide bombing.

Female suicide bombers are relatively rare in Pakistan, though separatist militants in Balochistan have used women in recent attacks, including coordinated gun and bomb assaults across multiple districts in the southwestern province last month.

Recent attacks in KP have included suicide bombings, assaults on security checkpoints, police stations and paramilitary facilities, as well as kidnappings of government officials.