UN calls for inquiry into Libyan activist’s death after being detained

The UN mission in Libya urged authorities on Saturday to open an investigation into the death of prominent activist Abdel Monem al-Marimi who prosecutors say threw himself down a stairwell after being detained. (X/@rg1k1)
Short Url
Updated 05 July 2025
Follow

UN calls for inquiry into Libyan activist’s death after being detained

  • Abdel Monem Al-Marimi was a well-known government critic and took part in regular protests
  • The activist died Friday night at a clinic in Tripoli from injuries sustained in a fall

TRIPOLI: The UN mission in Libya urged authorities on Saturday to open an investigation into the death of a prominent activist who prosecutors say threw himself down a stairwell after being detained.

Abdel Monem Al-Marimi was a well-known government critic and took part in regular protests demanding the removal of Prime Minister Abdulhamid Dbeibah.

In a statement, the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said Marimi “was reportedly abducted by the Internal Security Agency in Surman (west of Tripoli) on 30 June and referred to the Attorney General’s office on 3 July,” adding he later died under “circumstances that are yet to be clarified.”

According to local media, the activist died Friday night at a clinic in Tripoli from injuries sustained in a fall at the attorney general’s office.

The office has said that Marimi was taken to hospital after jumping down a stairwell.

The government has so far offered no further comment on Marimi’s death.

UNSMIL called for a “transparent and independent investigation into his arbitrary detention, allegations of torture during his detention, and circumstances surrounding his death.”

The attorney general’s office said that before the incident in the stairwell, Marimi had been released from an interview, adding it was reviewing surveillance camera footage.

UNSMIL went on to condemn “threats, harassment, and arbitrary arrests targeting politically active Libyans,” and urged the authorities “to uphold free speech and end unlawful detentions.”


UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

Updated 21 min 22 sec ago
Follow

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

  • ‘We are very concerned about the heightened rhetoric we’re seeing around the region’

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for diplomatic engagement to resolve differences between the United States and Iran amid a surge in military activities and rhetoric across the Middle East, his spokesperson said on Friday.

“We are very concerned about the heightened rhetoric we’re seeing around the region by the heightened military activities, war games or just military, increased military, naval presence in the region. And we encourage both the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran to continue to engage in diplomacy in order to settle the differences,” said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesperson for UN secretary-general.

The call for restraint follows a formal letter delivered on Thursday by Amir Saeid Iravani, Iran’s permanent representative to the UN, addressed to the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council.

Iravani emphasized that Iran is prepared to exercise its inherent right to self-defense under Article 51 of the UN Charter, promising a decisive and proportionate response to any military aggression.

Iravani further warned that in such a scenario, all bases, facilities, and assets belonging to hostile forces in the Middle East would constitute legitimate targets for Iranian defensive measures.

The envoy added that the United States would bear full and direct responsibility for any unforeseen and uncontrollable consequences resulting from further provocations.