Pakistan to consider extending deadline for Afghan refugees facing mass deportation

Afghan nationals, who were expelled from Pakistan, stand in queue for registration upon their arrival at the Omari refugee camp in Mohmand Dara, Torkham border, Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, on April 15, 2025. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 30 June 2025
Follow

Pakistan to consider extending deadline for Afghan refugees facing mass deportation

  • Any extension approved by the government would be a relief for those previously ordered to return to Afghanistan by June 30
  • In 2023, Pakistan had launched a controversial crackdown on foreigners it said were in the country illegally, mostly Afghans

PESHAWAR: Pakistan will consider extending the deadline for 1.4 million Afghan refugees living legally in the country to return home, officials said on Monday.

Any extension approved by the government would be a relief for those who were previously ordered to return to Afghanistan by June 30, according to government and security officials. A decision could come on Tuesday when the Cabinet is due to meet.

In 2023, Pakistan launched a controversial crackdown on foreigners it said were in the country illegally, mostly Afghans. Millions of Afghans have fled their homeland over the decades to escape war or poverty.

The officials — who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media on the record — said the proposed extension was to allow the refugees more time to settle their personal affairs in Pakistan, such as selling property or wrapping up business activities, before returning to Afghanistan in an orderly and dignified way.

A senior ministry official said the decision to submit the extension proposal was made last week. A summary regarding the fate of the Afghan refugees has been forwarded for inclusion in the Cabinet agenda.

The Interior Ministry, which has overseen the sweeping crackdown on Afghans, did not immediately comment.

There was no comment from the Foreign Affairs Ministry, which previously said it expected Afghan authorities to create “conducive conditions” so those returning were fully integrated into Afghan society.

Earlier this year, Pakistan said it wanted 3 million Afghans to leave the country, including 1.4 million people with Proof of Registration cards and some 800,000 with Afghan Citizen Cards. There are a further 1 million Afghans in the country illegally because they have no paperwork, according to officials.

They said Pakistan’s Ministry of States and Frontier Regions submitted a proposal to the federal government recommending a six-month extension for Afghans with Proof of Registration cards.

Pakistan’s expulsion campaign has drawn strong criticism from the UN and rights organizations.

Human Rights Watch has accused authorities of arbitrarily detaining and forcibly deporting Afghans, many of whom, they say, face harassment under the Taliban who seized power in Afghanistan in 2021.

On Saturday, the UN refugee agency said at least 1.2 million Afghans have been forced to return from Iran and Pakistan this year. It warned that repatriations on a massive scale have the potential to destabilize the fragile situation in Afghanistan.


One dead, four injured as gas cylinder explosion triggers fire in Karachi building

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

One dead, four injured as gas cylinder explosion triggers fire in Karachi building

  • Fire triggered by gas cylinder explosion in Karachi’s Bismillah Residency in North Nazimabad area, say police
  • Many households in Pakistan rely on liquefied petroleum gas cylinders which are susceptible to gas explosions

ISLAMABAD: One person was killed while four others were injured in Pakistan’s southern port city of Karachi after a gas cylinder exploded, triggering a fire inside a residential building, police and rescue officials said on Sunday.

The fire was caused on Saturday night by a gas cylinder explosion at a flat in Bismillah Residency located in Karachi’s North Nazimabad area, Sindh Police said in a statement. Local media reports said the flat was located on the ninth floor of the high-rise building.

Rescue 1122 Sindh emergency service said its firefighters arrived shortly after the fire was reported and doused the flames on Sunday morning. It said all of the building’s occupants, except for the one person who was killed by the fire, were rescued.

“The child who died in the fire that broke out following a cylinder blast in a building has been identified as Burhan, son of Aoun, aged 15,” Rescue 1122 spokesperson said in a statement.

It said the injured included two women, one man and a four-year-old girl.

“All the injured were shifted to hospital after receiving immediate medical aid, and the rescue operation has been completed,” the spokesperson added.

This is the second such explosion to take place in Karachi in less than a week. At least 15 people were killed, including women and children, when a gas cylinder exploded in a residential building in the city’s Soldier Bazaar area on Thursday.

Most houses and apartment buildings in Karachi, like elsewhere in Pakistan, are supplied with natural gas for cooking. However, many households also rely on liquefied petroleum gas cylinders because of low natural gas pressure.

In July, a gas explosion following a wedding reception at a home in Pakistan’s capital, Islamabad, killed eight people, including the bride and groom.

A massive fire at a popular shopping mall in Karachi last month killed over 70 people.