British Council, Sindh government to train 30,000 teachers, impact two million students

Education Minister for Pakistan's southern province, Sindh, Sardar Ali Shah (second left), Helen Silvester, Regional Director of British Council South Asia (middle) pose for a picture with their teams, shared on June 26, 2025. (Government of Sindh)
Short Url
Updated 27 June 2025
Follow

British Council, Sindh government to train 30,000 teachers, impact two million students

  • The initiative aims to improve language teaching through inclusive and multilingual methods
  • It builds on the success of a similar program in Punjab, which benefited over 140,000 teachers

ISLAMABAD: The British Council and the Government of Sindh have signed a Letter of Intent (LoI) to improve English language teaching in public schools, aiming to train 30,000 teachers and indirectly benefit over two million students, according to a statement issued on Friday.

English is a compulsory subject in Pakistan’s schools and colleges and remains the dominant language in government, academia and the corporate sector. Despite years of formal exposure, however, many students struggle to use the language effectively, raising concerns about the quality and methods of instruction.

The new initiative aims to address these challenges by equipping teachers with inclusive and multilingual approaches that support more effective language acquisition.

“This agreement renews our partnership with and commitment to the people and Government of Sindh,” said James Hampson, Country Director, British Council Pakistan. “Our ambition of supporting 30,000 teachers and 2 million children is a great next step.”

Under the agreement, the British Council will deliver its “English as a Subject for Teachers and Educators” (EaSTE) program to newly inducted primary and early childhood teachers.

The collaboration also includes training 1,000 in-service teachers as mentors and deploying a scalable digital Learning Management System (LMS) to facilitate continuous professional support.

“Our focus is not just on access but on quality,” said Sindh Education Minister Sardar Ali Shah at the occasion. “Through this initiative, we are equipping our teachers with the tools they need to teach English more effectively, in ways that reflect the linguistic and cultural realities of our classrooms.”

The program builds on the British Council’s long-standing work in education in Pakistan and replicates a successful model from Punjab, where EaSTE reached more than 140,000 teachers.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”