Pakistan’s top security body backs Iran’s right to self-defense after US, Israeli strikes

Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif (left) chairs the National Security Committee meeting in Islamabad on June 23, 2025. (PID)
Short Url
Updated 23 June 2025
Follow

Pakistan’s top security body backs Iran’s right to self-defense after US, Israeli strikes

  • Pakistan, Russia and China have called for a ceasefire after the strikes raised fears of a wider conflict in an already volatile region
  • Experts say Pakistan, which shares border with Iran, will face additional security and economic challenges due to the worsening conflict

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s National Security Committee (NSC), which comprises top civilian and military leaders, has reaffirmed its support for Iran’s right to self-defense, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s office said on Monday, after United States and Israeli strikes on Iran.

The statement came a day after US attacks on three Iranian nuclear sites, joining Israel in the biggest Western military action against the Islamic Republic since its 1979 revolution.

As the strikes raised fears of a wider conflict in the already volatile region, Russia, China and Pakistan have urged the United Nations Security Council to adopt a resolution calling for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire in the Middle East.

On Monday, Pakistan PM Sharif presided over an NSC meeting to review the evolving regional situation and condemned Israeli attacks on Iran, which it said coincided with a constructive negotiation process between Iran and the United States.

“These reckless actions have escalated tensions, threatening to ignite a wider conflict and diminishing the opportunities for dialogue and diplomacy,” Sharif’s office said in a statement after the meeting.

“The NSC reaffirmed Iran’s right to self-defense as enshrined in the UN Charter.”

The NSC expressed grave concern over the potential for further escalation after the attacks on Iranian nuclear facilities in Fordow, Natanz and Isfahan by the US, reiterating that they violated the resolutions of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), relevant international law, and the UN Charter.

The forum reaffirmed Pakistan’s readiness to continue efforts to promote regional peace and stability and called on all parties to resolve the conflict through dialogue and diplomacy.

Tensions between Tehran and Tel Aviv initially flared on June 13 when Israel launched airstrikes against what it described as Iran’s military leadership and nuclear infrastructure. Both sides traded missiles on Monday in fresh strikes.

In a separate development, Pakistan PM Sharif spoke with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Monday afternoon — their second telephonic call in less than 48 hours.

“The Prime Minister conveyed Pakistan’s condemnation of the US attacks, which followed Israel’s unprovoked and unjustified aggression,” Sharif’s office said. “He reaffirmed Pakistan’s unwavering solidarity with the brotherly people and Government of Iran.”

The prime minister expressed concerns that the US strikes had targeted Iranian facilities that were under the safeguards of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), constituting a “serious violation of international law and the IAEA Statute.”

“While noting Iran’s right to self-defense, as enshrined under Article 51 of the UN Charter, the Prime Minister stressed upon the need to immediately return to dialogue and diplomacy as the only viable path forward,” the statement read. “He also called for urgent collective efforts to de-escalate the situation.”

Earlier on Monday, Pakistan’s UN Ambassador Asim Iftikhar Ahmad called on the Security Council to act “urgently and decisively,” warning against the danger posed to the populations of the region as the war intensifies.

Experts warn Pakistan, which shares a 900-kilometer porous border with Iran in its southwestern region prone to separatist militancy and cross-border attacks, will face additional security and economic challenges due to the worsening conflict between Tehran and Tel Aviv.

Surging global oil prices due to the worsening conflict will cause economic setbacks for Pakistan, which relies on expensive fuel imports for its energy demands, according to financial analysts. Islamabad is already grappling with a macroeconomic crisis amid a precarious balance of payment position.

The crisis also raises questions about how Islamabad will navigate its delicate balancing act between Iran, other Gulf partners, and the US, which remains one of Pakistan’s largest trading partners and a critical source of military and economic assistance.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”