Pakistan regulator advises oil companies to maintain 20-day stocks as Iran-Israel conflict escalates

The logo of the Oil and Gas Development Company (OGDCL) is pictured at the facade of their headquarters in Islamabad on June 20, 2023. (AFP/ file)
Short Url
Updated 22 June 2025
Follow

Pakistan regulator advises oil companies to maintain 20-day stocks as Iran-Israel conflict escalates

  • Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority clarifies Pakistan holds “sufficient stocks” to meet current demand
  • Experts have warned of spiraling inflation, oil supply constraints due to ongoing Iran-Israel conflict

ISLAMABAD: The Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA) confirmed on Sunday it has advised oil marketing companies to maintain their mandatory 20-day stock levels, clarifying the country holds “sufficient stocks” of petroleum products as the Iran-Israel conflict intensifies. 

Local media outlets reported this week that Pakistani authorities have accelerated oil imports as the Iran-Israel conflict rages on. The conflict took a turn for the worse early Sunday after the US military struck three sites in Iran, inserting itself into Israel’s war aimed at destroying the country’s nuclear program in a risky gambit that could spark a wider regional conflict. 

Experts have warned of spiraling inflation and global oil supply constraints due to the ongoing Middle East conflict. Concern is focused on potential disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly one‑fifth of global oil transits, and weak supply growth from Iran, which produces about 3.3 million barrels per day. Analysts caution any sustained spike could drive up global freight rates, insurance premiums and inflation, particularly in energy‑importing countries like Pakistan.

“The Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA) has confirmed that the country currently holds sufficient stocks of petroleum products to meet existing demand,” OGRA spokesperson Imran Ghaznavi said in a statement.

“However, in view of anticipated future requirements and the prevailing market situation, OGRA has formally advised all Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to ensure the maintenance of their mandatory 20-day stock levels, in line with the conditions stipulated in their respective licenses.”

The spokesperson said OGRA remains committed to monitoring the ongoing situation in the Middle East closely and will continue to take “proactive steps” to ensure national energy security.

Pakistan relies heavily on imported oil, meaning that any sustained spike in prices could widen its current account deficit and push inflation higher at a time when the country is struggling with low foreign reserves and slow growth.

The Israel-Iran conflict started on June 13 when Israel launched a massive wave of attacks targeting Iranian nuclear and military facilities but also hitting residential areas, sparking retaliation and fears of a broader regional conflict.

Over 400, mostly civilians have been killed in Iran so far, while Israel has reported 24 civilian deaths in retaliatory strikes by Tehran and over 1,200 injured. 

Pakistan has condemned Israel’s strikes against Iran and has called on world powers to intervene for an immediate ceasefire in the Middle East through dialogue and diplomacy. 


Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

  • State-owned PPL injects $50.2 million more in special purpose vehicle formed to manage Islamabad’s 25 percent stake in copper-gold mine
  • Canadian operator Barrick Mining Corporation this month ordered project’s review following deadly separatist attacks in Balochistan province

KARACHI: The state-run Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) has invested an additional Rs14 billion ($50.2 million) equity in the multi-billion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, the company said in its latest financial report on Thursday, as the project’s Canadian operator reviews the project following recently deadly attacks. 

Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation owns a 50 percent share in Reko Diq in the southwestern Balochistan province, along with three Pakistani federal state-owned enterprises including PPL that own 25 percent, while the Balochistan government has the remaining 25 percent share in the project.

The Canadian company announced earlier this month it planned to “immediately” begin a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Reko Diq project following coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 that killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces personnel. 

“With respect to the Reko Diq project, the company has made further equity investment in Pakistan Minerals Private Limited (PMPL) during the period amounting to Rs14,025 million ($50.2m),” PPL told its shareholders in its financial statement for the half year ending at Dec. 31.

The additional equity has increased PPL’s total cost of investment in the PMPL to Rs68.1 billion ($243.6 million), it added. 

The PMPL is a special purpose vehicle formed to manage the federal government’s 25 percent stake in the Reko Diq project. It is a consortium of three state-owned enterprises (SOEs) namely the PPL, the Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) and Government Holdings (Private) Limited (GHPL) which is responsible for handling financing, equity contributions and strategic, legal or technical dealings with partners like Barrick.

“The project continued to advance site works during the period (July-December FY26),” the PPL said. “The operator (Barrick) is undertaking a review of all aspects of the project, including with respect to the project’s security arrangements, development timetable and capital budget.” 

This week, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti assured investors that Pakistan has the “capacity and capability” to secure the Reko Diq project amid surging militancy. 

The PPL explores, drills, and produces oil and natural gas. Its current portfolio, together with its subsidiaries and associates, consists of 47 exploratory blocks that include one offshore Block-5 in Abu Dhabi and one onshore block in Yemen.

In December, PPL signed a strategic Deed of Assignment under which it assigned 25 percent of its participating interest (PI) and operatorship of Eastern Offshore Indus C block to Turkish Petroleum Overseas Company, a unit of state-owned Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı.

Assigning 20 percent PI each to OGDCL and Mari Energies Limited, the company has retained the remaining 35 percent PI to play a key role in the block’s development.