Dutch colonial rule cost Indonesia $31 trillion, president says

Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto speaks at the opening ceremony of a defense forum in Jakarta on June 11, 2025. (Cabinet Secretariat)
Short Url
Updated 11 June 2025
Follow

Dutch colonial rule cost Indonesia $31 trillion, president says

  • Dutch colonial administration exploited Indonesia’s natural resources for over 300 years
  • ‘Forced Planting System’ in Java once contributed 30% to Netherlands’ GDP

JAKARTA: Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto said on Wednesday that the Netherlands extracted as much as $31 trillion in wealth from Indonesia during more than 300 years of its colonial rule over the region.

Indonesia declared independence in 1945, following centuries of Dutch colonial exploitation that began at the end of the 16th century.

With the archipelago being its primary source of spices, the Dutch East India Co. established a virtual monopoly on the global spice trade, when nutmeg, cloves and pepper were considered the most expensive and luxurious spices in Europe.

Its profits were so vast that they made the Netherlands one of the wealthiest European powers in the 17th century.

Prabowo highlighted the impacts of the colonization of Indonesia in a speech at the opening of a defense exhibition in Jakarta.

“There was just one research from a few weeks back, which says that during the period of Dutch colonization, the Netherlands took away $31 trillion of our wealth,” he said, but did not reference the quoted study.

“When the Dutch occupied Indonesia, the Netherlands enjoyed having the world’s top GDP per capita … (History) teaches us that if we had been able to protect our wealth, maybe our GDP would have been among the highest in the world.”

Prabowo, who formerly served as Indonesia’s defense minister before assuming the country’s top office, was making a case on the importance of defense spending.

“A nation that does not want to invest in its defense usually will experience their independence being stolen away, will experience the nation being subjugated to the will of others (and witness) the wealth of the nation being stolen — this is the lesson of humankind,” he said.

The period included schemes like the “Cultivation System” — locally known as the “Forced Planting System”— in Java, under which Indonesians were forced to grow export crops like coffee and sugar cane for the Dutch at the cost of their own livelihood and staple food crops to make significant profits for the colonial power. The system led to widespread famines on the island of Java.

According to a study by British historian and economist Angus Maddison, the Forced Planting System in Indonesia significantly drove up the Dutch state income, contributing to about 31.5 percent of its gross domestic product between 1851 and 1870.


US envoy urges nations to commit ‘time and treasure’ to Gaza recovery ahead of first Board of Peace meeting

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

US envoy urges nations to commit ‘time and treasure’ to Gaza recovery ahead of first Board of Peace meeting

  • America’s ambassador to the UN, Mike Waltz, describes new body as a ‘board of action’ that will usher in ‘era of security, prosperity and opportunity for the Middle East’
  • Inaugural meeting of US-led board in Washington on Thursday will bring together 27 nations, including Saudi Arabia and several other Arab and Muslim countries

NEW YORK CITY: The US ambassador to the UN, Mike Waltz, on Wednesday called on member states to commit “time and treasure” to Gaza’s recovery, as he urged countries to back the newly created “Board of Peace” which he said would soon announce more than $5 billion in reconstruction pledges.

The US-led board, established in November under UN Security Council Resolution 2803, is due to hold its inaugural meeting in Washington on Thursday, which will bring together 27 nations, including Saudi Arabia and several other Gulf Arab and Muslim-majority countries.

“The Board of Peace is a board of action,” Waltz said, arguing it marked a break from what he described as the failed approaches of the past.

The board will oversee the implementation of US President Donald Trump’s 20-point peace plan, which includes the deployment of an international stabilization force and the introduction of a technocratic National Committee for the Administration of Gaza.

Waltz said thousands of troops have been pledged to the stabilization force, which would ensure security and help establish a “durable, terror-free environment.”

The National Committee will operate under the board’s oversight, he added, to restore basic services and help build a productive economy.

The ceasefire has reduced hostilities and secured the return of all hostages held by Hamas, both living and deceased, Waltz said. Just months ago, he added, Gaza was controlled by Hamas, who were holding 48 hostages in tunnels it had built “instead of rebuilding Gaza.” However, he stressed that reconstruction cannot proceed without security guarantees.

“Before reconstruction can move forward, Hamas must, and will, disarm,” he said. He also called for the destruction of the group’s tunnels, its weapons-production facilities and other militant infrastructure.

“Reconstruction cannot and will not take place in areas where Hamas has not demilitarized,” Waltz said.

He dismissed criticism of the unconventional structure of the Board of Peace, saying that “the old ways were not working” and the alternative was either continuing Hamas control of Gaza or occupation.

“As chair of the Board of Peace, we are confident that we will see an era of security, prosperity and opportunity for the Middle East emerge,” he added.