LOS ANGELES, United States: Manny Pacquiao on Tuesday shrugged off concerns about his decision to return to boxing at the age of 46 as he prepares for next month’s world welterweight title comeback against Mario Barrios.
The charismatic Filipino boxing icon stunned the sports world last month after announcing he would take on World Boxing Council (WBC) champion Barrios on July 19 in Las Vegas, four years after his last fight ended in a disappointing defeat.
Pacquiao, who won 12 world titles in eight different weight classes during a glittering professional career that began in 1995, told reporters on Tuesday that the glamor of championship boxing had prompted his return.
“I’m returning because I miss my boxing,” Pacquiao said at a press conference in Los Angeles. “Especially these situations — being interviewed, press conference, training camp, everything like that.
“I missed that. But it has been good for me — I’ve rested my body for four years. And now I come back.”
Pacquiao said that he had been left devastated following his decision to retire in the wake of his loss to Yordenis Ugas in 2021.
“I always thought, even when I hung up my gloves, ‘I can still fight, I can still feel my body, I can still work hard,’” Pacquiao said.
“That moment when I announced hanging up my gloves four years ago — I was so sad. I was crying, I cannot stop the tears coming out my eyes.”
Pacquiao, though, revealed that working out at his home in the Philippines persuaded him he still had the fitness and strength to fight.
“I realized when I’m playing basketball, training at the gym my house — I have complete sport facilities in my house — that I still have that passion. I still have that speed and power,” he said.
Some in boxing have expressed concerns about whether Pacquiao’s comeback against Barrios, who is 16 years his junior, represents a risk to the Filipino’s safety.
Addressing those concerns, Pacquiao noted that his family and loved ones were firmly behind his comeback.
“I’m thankful for them for their concern,” Pacquiao told AFP. “But the people who really concern me, is my family. My family saw how I move, saw how I train, saw my my body condition. They support me because they can see the old Pacquiao style.”
Pacquiao, who has reunited with veteran trainer Freddie Roach for next month’s fight, is able to challenge immediately for a title due to a WBC rule that allows former champions to request a title fight when coming out of retirement.
WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman told AFP on Tuesday that Pacquiao had been cleared to return to the ring by the Nevada Athletic Commission after undergoing medical exams, describing the fighter’s comeback as “low risk.”
“Manny Pacquiao is at no higher risk than any fighter going into the ring,” Sulaiman said. “Manny has rested his body for four years. He’s not a drinker. He’s not a drug user. He’s a family man that has taken care of himself. So of the different aspects of dangers, he’s at the lowest risk.”
Pacquiao’s opponent, Barrios, said he would set aside the Filipino’s status as one of the most beloved fighters of his era.
“There’s nothing but good things to say about him outside the ring,” Barrios said of Pacquiao. “He’s a hard guy to dislike. But at the end of the day, you know it’s kill or be killed.
“And I know if at any point he has me hurt, you know he’s going to get me out of there. So I just have to go in there and make sure that my hand is raised at the end of the fight.”
‘Rested’ Pacquiao relishing boxing comeback at 46
https://arab.news/j6kq7
‘Rested’ Pacquiao relishing boxing comeback at 46
- Pacquiao, who won 12 world titles in eight different weight classes during a glittering professional career that began in 1995, told reporters on Tuesday
Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle
- Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium
MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Pep Guardiola labelled Manchester City’s 2-1 win over Newcastle on Saturday as a “massive” moment in the Premier League title race.
Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium.
Nico O’Reilly put City ahead in the first half and restored the lead before half-time after Lewis Hall had equalized.
City weren’t at their best in the second half, but they held on to pile pressure on spluttering Arsenal, who travel to Tottenham for the north London derby on Sunday.
Guardiola knew it was essential to make Arsenal sweat.
“Massive. Newcastle is an incredible team, awesome in physicality and speed they have up front. Physicality in the middle. Really tough but the team was unbelievable,” he said.
“It’s coming in best part of the season. Every single game will be similar to today.”
After finishing without a trophy last season, City are back in the hunt for the seventh English title of Guardiola’s reign.
They will have a game in hand on Arsenal after this weekend and are guaranteed to win the title if they win their last 11 league matches.
Guardiola has embarked on an expensive overhaul of City’s squad in the last 12 months, shedding aging stars like Kevin De Bruyne, Ederson and Kyle Walker and bringing in the likes of Marc Guehi, Antoine Semenyo and Rayan Cherki.
The Spaniard is well aware that his new generation largely lacks the experience of winning under the pressure of a title race, which made their gritty success against Newcastle even more meaningful.
“70 percent of the players have never been in that situation, and I don’t play. So we have to live it, they know that every game will be like this,” he said.
“Especially at home, with five home games left. Today was the best crowd of the year, it was unbelievable with our people, really proud to be manager of these incredible people and fans.
“Of course in terms of points it’s important, but we have to improve to have chance to compete until the end. Now we deserve three more days off. Then another battle in Leeds.”
Guardiola singled out O’Reilly for praise after the young England midfielder’s pair of clinical finishes showed he won’t be affected by the strain of chasing Arsenal.
“Nico give us in the middle that physicality that we need. He now plays in his position,” he said.
“He has always played that, he is so complete and so young. I am really pleased the academy produced these incredible players, Nico, Phil (Foden), Rico (Lewis).”










