LONDON: Some 1,194 migrants arrived in the UK after crossing the Channel in small boats on Saturday, a record for this year according to AFP counting from government data.
It brings the overall number of migrant crossings this year to 14,808, an unprecedented figure despite several measures in place by the French and UK governments to curb the crossings.
French coastal authorities said they also rescued nearly 200 migrants between late Friday and late Saturday.
The latest crossings, which UK Defense Secretary John Healey described as “shocking,” fall short of the all-time record of 1,300 migrants arriving on small boats in a day in September 2022.
But they will still prove a headache for UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who has been at pains to toughen his rhetoric on irregular immigration amid pressure from the far right to slash migrant numbers.
“We all want to end dangerous small boat crossings, which threaten lives and undermine our border security,” the Home Office said in a statement on the latest arrivals.
Starmer unveiled tough new immigration policies this month that include doubling the length of time before migrants can qualify for settlement in the country and new powers to deport foreign criminals.
The raft of measures was widely seen as an attempt to win back support from voters and fend off threats from the increasingly popular hard-right Reform party.
Separate legislation to tackle irregular immigration, called the Border Security, Asylum and Immigration Bill, is currently going through parliament.
But Saturday’s crossings will be a fresh blow.
The overall figure of 14,808 crossings is the highest for the first five months of the year since records began in 2018, when the route into the UK first became popular.
It also surpassed the record for the number of crossings in the first six months of the year — which stood at around 12,900 in the first six months of 2024.
On Saturday, a total 184 people were picked up in four different rescue operations on the French coast, the maritime prefecture for France’s Channel and northern region said in a statement.
In one instance, the motor died on a boat carrying 61 people. In another, nine people on a boat called for assistance.
According to an AFP tally of official figures, 15 people have died so far this year trying to cross the Channel, one of the busiest areas in the world for shipping.
“Pretty shocking, those scenes yesterday,” Healey told Sky News in an interview Sunday.
“We saw the smugglers launching elsewhere and coming around like a taxi to pick them up,” he said, adding that “Britain’s lost control of its borders.”
France this year agreed to allow its police patrols to intercept migrants in shallow waters, but they cannot stop a boat once it is on its way.
“We’ve got the agreement (with the French) that they will change the way they work,” Healey said.
“Our concentration now is to push them to get that into operation.”
Healey also told the BBC: “What we now need is to work more closely with the French to persuade them to put that into operation so they can intervene in the water, in the shallow waters, which they don’t at the moment.”
More than 1,100 migrants crossed Channel on Saturday: UK govt data
https://arab.news/vsa7t
More than 1,100 migrants crossed Channel on Saturday: UK govt data
- “We all want to end dangerous small boat crossings, which threaten lives and undermine our border security,” the Home Office said in a statement on the latest arrivals
Baby milk toxin risk ‘low’ after recalls: EU agencies
- Several manufacturers, including European giants like Nestle, Danone and Lactalis, have issued recalls of infant formula
- French authorities said last week they were aware of three deaths of infants
ROME: Widespread recalls of powdered milk for infants mean the risk of exposure to a toxin that can cause nausea and diarrhea are now low, two EU agencies said on Thursday.
“Given the large-scale recalls, the current likelihood of exposure to contaminated infant formula is low,” the European Food Safety Authority and the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control said in a statement.
But they said that “additional cases may still occur if recalled products remain in households rather than being returned.”
Several manufacturers, including European giants like Nestle, Danone and Lactalis, have issued recalls of infant formula that could be contaminated with cereulide in more than 60 countries since December.
French authorities said last week they were aware of three deaths of infants who consumed powdered milk affected by the recalls, and 14 hospitalizations.
But investigations are still underway and as yet no link has been established between the formula and the babies’ health, the health ministry said.
The EU agencies said that a total of seven countries in Europe had reported cases of babies with gastrointestinal symptoms following consumption of powdered milk.
The statement said cereulide had first been detected in December in batches of formula containing arachidonic acid oil from a producer in China.
The EFSA earlier said its scientists had suggested a maximum level for cereulide of 0.014 micrograms per kilogram of body weight.
This translated to 0.054 micrograms of cereulide per liter in infant formula, the Italy-based agency said.










