Gaza aid dries up as Israeli blockade enters a third month

Displaced Palestinians scuffle for a portion of hot food at a charity kitchen at the Nuseirat refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip on May 5, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 07 May 2025
Follow

Gaza aid dries up as Israeli blockade enters a third month

  • The current blockade has lasted longer than any previous Israeli halt in aid to Gaza since the Israel-Hamas war began

JERUSALEM: Israel has blockaded all entrances to the Gaza Strip since March.
While pummeling the strip with airstrikes, it has banned any food, water, shelter or medication from being trucked into the Palestinian territory, where the UN says the vast majority of the population is reliant on humanitarian aid to survive. Israel says the blockade aims to pressure Hamas to release the hostages it still holds. Of the 59 captives remaining in Gaza, 21 are believed to still be alive, US President Donald Trump said Tuesday, revealing that three had died.
Here’s a look at the humanitarian crisis spiraling in Gaza, through key statistics and charts:
The current blockade has lasted longer than any previous Israeli halt in aid to Gaza since the Israel-Hamas war began. Hamas attacked Israel on Oct. 7, 2023 and Israel froze aid to Gaza for two weeks.
Now, Gaza is entering its third month without supplies. Thousands of trucks queue along the border of the territory, waiting to be let in. Community kitchens are closing down and bakeries are running out of fuel. Families spend hours waiting in line for small portions of rice.
In their desperation, Palestinians have begun scavenging warehouses and stores for anything left. Aid groups report a rise in looting incidents over the last week. At least some have been looted by armed groups.
Meanwhile, Israel is moving forward with plans to seize all of Gaza and to stay in the Palestinian territory for an unspecified amount of time. It says it will expand operations there, defying calls for an immediate renewal of a ceasefire from families whose relatives are still held hostage in Gaza.
Israel’s offensive has displaced more than 90 percent of Gaza’s population and, Palestinian health officials say, killed more than 52,000 people, many of them women and children. Palestinian officials do not distinguish between combatants and civilians in their count.


Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters

  • Renewed talks ‌scheduled in early March ⁠and ⁠could possibly lead to an interim deal

DUBAI: Iran and the United States have differing views over the scope and ​mechanism to lift sanctions on Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that new talks were planned in early ‌March. The official ‌said Tehran ​could ‌seriously ⁠consider ​a combination of ⁠exporting part of its highly enriched uranium (HEU) stockpile, diluting the purity of its HEU and a regional consortium for enriching uranium, but in return Iran’s ⁠right to “peacful nuclear enrichment” ‌must be ‌recognized.
“The negotiations continue and ​the possibility ‌of reaching an interim agreement exists,” ‌the official said. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Friday that he expected to have a draft ‌counterproposal ready within days following nuclear talks with the ⁠United ⁠States this week, while US President Donald Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.
The senior official said Tehran will not hand over control of its oil and mineral resources but US companies can always participate as contractors in Iran’s oil ​and gas ​fields.