BRUSSELS: NATO chief Mark Rutte has proposed alliance members boost defense spending to 3.5 percent of GDP and commit a further 1.5 percent to broader security-related spending to meet Donald Trump’s demand for a 5 percent target, people familiar with the idea told Reuters.
Rutte’s proposal could allow the US president to declare a win at a NATO summit in The Hague in June while not committing European nations and Canada to a 5 percent pledge on military spending that many see as politically and economically unviable.
NATO’s current defense spending goal is at least 2 percent of GDP, met by 22 of its 32 members. But leaders across NATO say that goal is no longer sufficient, as they see Russia as a much greater threat after its 2022 invasion of Ukraine.
The definition of what would fall into the broader category of defense-related spending would still have to be agreed. Officials said it might include spending to upgrade roads and bridges to support the transport of heavy military vehicles.
Asked whether NATO could confirm that Rutte had made the proposal, NATO spokesperson Allison Hart did not reply directly. She said Rutte had “repeatedly said that increased defense spending is needed in order to meet the capability targets that allies will soon agree and to ensure fairer burden sharing among allies.”
“This will likely involve not only higher investment in defense according to the agreed NATO definitions but also additional investment in related areas like infrastructure and resilience,” Hart said in an email.
“The Secretary General is working in close consultation with allies to prepare decisions on this for our Summit in The Hague,” she said.
NATO chief Rutte floats including broader security spending to meet Trump defense target
https://arab.news/n89jy
NATO chief Rutte floats including broader security spending to meet Trump defense target
- Rutte’s proposal could allow the US president to declare a win at a NATO summit in The Hague
- NATO’s current defense spending goal is at least 2 percent of GDP
US lawmaker Fine criticized by rights advocates, Democrats after anti-Muslim remarks
- Fine’s past comments include calling for the mass expulsion of all Muslims from the US, labeling of Muslims as “terrorists” and the mocking of the starvation and killing of Palestinians in Gaza, among others
WASHINGTON: Rights advocates and multiple Democrats on Tuesday condemned anti-Muslim comments by Republican US Representative Randy Fine who said on Sunday that “the choice between dogs and Muslims is not a difficult one.”
Fine, whose comments against Muslims have often sparked outrage, has dismissed the criticism and since doubled down on his remarks on social media. The Council on American-Islamic Relations designated the Republican US lawmaker from Florida as an anti-Muslim extremist last year.
“If they force us to choose, the choice between dogs and Muslims is not a difficult one,” Fine said on X on Sunday in a post that had over 40 million views as of Tuesday afternoon.
Some high-profile Democrats including California Governor Gavin Newsom called for him to resign while House of Representatives Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries called Fine an “Islamophobic, disgusting and unrepentant bigot.”
Jeffries also called for Republicans — who hold a majority in both chambers of Congress — to hold Fine accountable.
“To ignore this is to accept and normalize it,” Democratic US Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said. Fine’s past comments include calling for the mass expulsion of all Muslims from the US, labeling of Muslims as “terrorists” and the mocking of the starvation and killing of Palestinians in Gaza, among others. Rights advocates have noted a rise in Islamophobia in the US in recent years due to a range of factors including hard-line immigration policies and white-supremacist rhetoric, as well as the fallout of Israel’s war in Gaza on American society.










