UN chief issues plea over Sudan’s ‘relentless suffering’ in wake of civilian massacres

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres delivers a speech during a UN Security Council meeting to discuss the situation in Middle East at the UN headquarters in New York City on April 29, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 May 2025
Follow

UN chief issues plea over Sudan’s ‘relentless suffering’ in wake of civilian massacres

  • Antonio Guterres says scale of needs to address ‘catastrophe’ is ‘overwhelming’
  • Civil war, now in its third year, has created the world’s largest hunger and displacement crisis

NEW YORK CITY: The UN secretary-general has sounded the alarm over the “increasingly catastrophic” situation in Sudan amid deadly battles and civilian massacres in Al-Fasher, a strategic city in the country’s southwest.

It came as UN rights chief Volker Turk said that the “horror unfolding” in Sudan “knows no bounds.”

At least 542 civilians have been killed in North Darfur State, of which Al-Fasher is the capital, in the past three weeks, the UN said on Thursday, warning that the true death toll was probably “much higher.”

Darfur has become a flashpoint in the deadly war between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces paramilitary.

Last month, the latter withdrew from Khartoum, the country’s capital, after an offensive by government forces.

The civil war that broke out in 2023 has killed tens of thousands of people and created the world’s largest hunger and displacement crisis.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, in a statement on Wednesday, condemned the “appalling” situation in Sudan and highlighted deadly attacks on two refugee camps in Al-Fasher.
The massacres a fortnight ago at the famine-stricken Zamzam and Abu Shouk camps “reportedly killed hundreds of civilians, including humanitarian workers,” he said.

It comes as the Rapid Support Forces, led by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, also known as Hemedti, seeks to capture the strategic city, the last major area in the region outside its control.

More than 400,000 people are believed to have fled the Zamzam camp in April, Guterres said.
The secretary-general highlighted his “deep concern” over reports of “harassment, intimidation and arbitrary detention” of displaced people at checkpoints in the city.

The UN and its partners “are doing what they can” to urgently boost emergency aid to the Tawila area of North Darfur, he added.

Many of the displaced who fled Zamzam camp in the wake of the attacks traveled to Tawila, a town west of Al-Fashir.

Yet the scale of needs required by the displaced is “overwhelming,” Guterres said, and that “desperate people,” mostly women and children, are crossing the Sudanese border into Chad to seek safety.

The response to the “relentless suffering and destruction” in Sudan requires safe and unhindered humanitarian access to all necessary routes in the country, he said.

The UN chief called on the warring parties to protect civilians in line with their obligations under international law.

Guterres renewed his appeal for an immediate end to hostilities and urged the international community to “act with urgency” to bring an end to the violence.

Turk, in his statement on Thursday, highlighted “the ominous warning by the RSF of ‘bloodshed’ ahead of imminent battles with the Sudanese Armed Forces and their associated armed movements.”

The UN rights chief described as “extremely disturbing” reports of extrajudicial executions in Khartoum State.

“Horrific videos circulating on social media show at least 30 men in civilian clothing being rounded up and executed by armed men in RSF uniforms in Al-Salha in southern Omdurman.”

Turk said he had “personally alerted” the leadership of both the RSF and SAF in a bid to highlight the “catastrophic human rights consequences” of the civil war.

“These harrowing consequences are a daily, lived reality for millions of Sudanese. It is well past time for this conflict to stop.”


Kabul shakes as 5.8-magnitude earthquake hits eastern Afghanistan

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Kabul shakes as 5.8-magnitude earthquake hits eastern Afghanistan

  • The 5.8-magnitude quake struck a mountainous area around 130 kilometers northeast of Kabul
  • Earthquakes are common in Afghanistan, particularly along the Hindu Kush mountain range

KABUL: A strong earthquake rocked eastern Afghanistan including the capital Kabul on Friday, AFP journalists and residents said.
The 5.8-magnitude quake struck a mountainous area around 130 kilometers (80 miles) northeast of Kabul, the United States Geological Survey said.
The epicenter was near several remote villages and struck at 5:39 p.m. (1309 GMT), just as people in the Muslim-majority country were sitting down to break their Ramadan fast.
“We were waiting to do our iftars, a heavy earthquake shook us. It was very strong, it went on for almost 30 seconds,” said Zilgay Talabi, a resident of Khenj district near of the epicenter.
“Everyone was horrified and scared,” Talabi told AFP, saying he feared “landslides and avalanches” may follow.
Power was briefly cut in parts of the capital, while east of Kabul an AFP journalist in Nangarhar province also felt it.
Earthquakes are common in Afghanistan, particularly along the Hindu Kush mountain range, near where the Eurasian and Indian tectonic plates meet.
Haqmal Saad, spokesman for the Panjshir province police, described the quake as “very strong” and said the force was “gathering information on the ground.”
Mohibullah Jahid, head of Panjshir Natural Disaster Management agency, told AFP he was in touch with several officials in the area.
The district governor had told him there were reports of “minor damage, such as cracks in the walls, but we have not received anything serious, such as the collapse of houses or anything similar,” Jahid said.
Residents in Bamiyan and Wardak provinces, west of Kabul, told AFP they also felt the earthquake.
In Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, rescue service official Bilal Ahmad Faizi said the quake was felt in border areas.
In August last year, a shallow 6.0-magnitude quake in the country’s east wiped out mountainside villages and killed more than 2,200 people.
Weeks later, a 6.3-magnitude quake in northern Afghanistan killed at least 27 people.
Large tremors in western Herat, near the Iranian border, in 2023, and in Nangarhar province in 2022, killed hundreds and destroyed thousands of homes.
Many homes in the predominantly rural country, which has been devastated by decades of war, are shoddily built.
Poor communication networks and infrastructure in mountainous Afghanistan have hampered disaster responses in the past, preventing authorities from reaching far-flung villages for hours or even days before they could assess the extent of the damage.