Trump says US ships should be allowed to travel through the Panama and Suez canals for free

This handout picture released by the Panama Canal Authority on August 30, 2024, shows the container ship MSC Marie, of 366 meters long and 51 meters wide, transiting the Panama Canal in Panama. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 April 2025
Follow

Trump says US ships should be allowed to travel through the Panama and Suez canals for free

  • “American Ships, both Military and Commercial, should be allowed to travel, free of charge, through the Panama and Suez Canals!” he wrote on his Truth Social platform

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Saturday urged free transit for American commercial and military ships through the Panama and Suez canals, tasking his secretary of state with making progress “immediately.”
Trump has for months been calling for the United States to take control of the Panama Canal but his social media post also shifted focus onto the vital Suez route.
“American Ships, both Military and Commercial, should be allowed to travel, free of charge, through the Panama and Suez Canals!” he wrote on his Truth Social platform.
He claimed both routes would “not exist” without the United States and said he had asked Secretary of State Marco Rubio to “immediately take care of” the situation.

 

Egypt’s Suez Canal, a key waterway linking Europe and Asia, accounted for about 10 percent of global maritime trade before attacks by Yemen’s Houthi rebels on shipping routes in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.
The Iran-backed rebels began targeting vessels after the start of the Gaza war, claiming solidarity with Palestinians, forcing ships to take a long and costly detour around the southern tip of Africa.
Egypt said last year its canal revenues had plunged 60 percent, a loss of $7 billion.
The US military has been attacking Houthi positions since January 2024, but those assaults have intensified under Trump, with almost daily strikes in the past month.
Trump has vowed that military action would continue until the Houthis are no longer a threat to shipping.
 

 


UAE thwarts terrorist cyberattacks targeting vital sectors

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

UAE thwarts terrorist cyberattacks targeting vital sectors

DUBAI: The UAE successfully prevented terrorist cyberattacks that targeted the country’s digital infrastructure and vital sectors, in an attempt to destabilize the nation and disrupt essential services, state news agency WAM reported.

The UAE Cybersecurity Council said the attacks included attempts to infiltrate networks, deploy ransomware, and conduct systematic phishing campaigns targeting national platforms.

It also involved the exploitation of artificial intelligence technologies to develop sophisticated offensive tools, reflecting a qualitative shift in the methods employed by terrorist groups and their ability to harness modern technologies to carry out digital attacks, WAM reported.

The Council reiterated the country’s national cybersecurity defense system makes sure that the safety of individuals, the protection of personal data and the continuity of critical services remain top priorities.

It further urged the public to report any cyber threats or suspicious attempts to ensure digital security in the country.