Afghan PM condemns Pakistan’s ‘unilateral’ deportations

This handout photograph taken on April 19, 2025, and released by Afghanistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs shows the country's Prime Minister Hassan Akhund (R) and Pakistan's Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar during a bilateral meeting in Kabul. (AFP/Afghanistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Short Url
Updated 20 April 2025
Follow

Afghan PM condemns Pakistan’s ‘unilateral’ deportations

  • Pakistan has launched strict campaign to evict by end of month more than 800,000 Afghans
  • Afghan PM Hasan Akhund urges Pakistan government to facilitate “dignified return” of refugees

KABUL: Afghanistan’s prime minister condemned on Saturday the “unilateral measures” taken by Pakistan to forcibly deport tens of thousands of Afghans since the start of April.

Pakistan has launched a strict campaign to evict by the end of the month more than 800,000 Afghans who have had their residence permits canceled, including some who were born in Pakistan or lived there for decades.

Pakistan’s top diplomat Ishaq Dar flew to Kabul for a day-long visit on Saturday where he held discussions with Afghan Taliban officials, including Prime Minister Hasan Akhund and Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi.

“Rather than collaborating with the Islamic Emirate on the gradual repatriation process, Pakistan’s unilateral measures are intensifying the problem and hindering progress toward a solution,” Akhund said during his meeting with Dar.

He urged the Pakistani government to “facilitate the dignified return of Afghan refugees,” according to a statement on X.

Earlier, foreign minister Muttaqi “expressed his deep concern and disappointment over the situation and forced deportation of Afghan refugees in Pakistan,” the ministry’s deputy spokesperson Zia Ahmad said on X.

Ahmad added that Dar had reassured officials that Afghans “will not be mistreated.”

Afghans in Pakistan have reported weeks of arbitrary arrests, extortion and harassment by authorities.

Islamabad has said nearly 85,000 have already crossed into Afghanistan, with convoys of Afghan families heading to border crossings each day fearing raids, arrests or separation from family members.




Afghan refugees load their belongings onto a truck as they prepare for their deportation to Afghanistan, at the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in Torkham on April 19, 2025. (AFP)

On Friday, Pakistan’s deputy interior minister Tallal Chaudhry told a news conference that “there will not be any sort of leniency and extension in the deadline.”

The relationship between the two neighbors has soured as attacks in Pakistan’s border regions have soared following the return of the Taliban government in Afghanistan in 2021.

Last year was the deadliest in Pakistan for a decade, with Islamabad accusing Kabul of allowing militants to take refuge in Afghanistan, from where they plan attacks.

The Taliban government denies the charge.

Chaudhry said on Friday that nearly 85,000 Afghans have crossed into Afghanistan since the start of April, the majority of them undocumented.

More than half of them were children, according to the United Nations refugee agency.

The women and girls among those crossing were entering a country where they are banned from education beyond secondary school and barred from many sectors of work.

Afghanistan’s refugees ministry spokesman told AFP on Saturday the Taliban authorities had recorded some 71,000 Afghan returnees through the two main border points with Pakistan between April 1 and 18.

In the first phase of returns in 2023, hundreds of thousands of undocumented Afghans were forced across the border in the space of a few weeks.

In the second phase announced in March, the Pakistan government canceled the residence permits of more than 800,000 Afghans and warned thousands more awaiting relocation to other countries to leave by the end of April.

The move to expel Afghans is widely supported by Pakistanis.

“They are totally disrespectful toward our country. They have abused us, they have used us. One can’t live in a country if they don’t respect it,” said Ahmad Waleed, standing in his shop on Friday in Rawalpindi, near the capital.


India to make Rafale jets with France in boost to defense ties, Macron says

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

India to make Rafale jets with France in boost to defense ties, Macron says

  • India last week gave clearance to buy 114 more Rafale jets for country’s air force, besides planes, missiles
  • Rafale jets flown by the Indian Air Force were in the spotlight during India’s conflict with Pakistan last May

NEW DELHI: France and India are entering a new era of defense cooperation ​with plans to jointly produce Rafale fighter jets as well as helicopters, French President Emmanuel Macron said on Thursday, adding France also hopes to sell more submarines to India.

India’s expected order for another 114 Rafales is a “new step forward” in defense ties between the two countries and France hopes to see this replicated with submarines as well, Macron told reporters at the end of a three-day visit to India.

“On Rafale, ‌what we want ‌to do is expand. India confirmed ​a few ‌days ⁠ago its ​willingness ⁠to command a new bunch of Rafales... 114... and to co-produce in India,” Macron said.

The Defense Acquisition Council of India’s defense ministry last week gave initial clearance to acquire 114 more Rafale jets for the air force, besides other planes and missiles, months after the worst fighting in decades between India and Pakistan.

So far, India has purchased 36 Rafales for its ⁠air force and ordered another 26 marine versions of ‌the jet for the navy.

Details of ‌the Rafale deal including plans for co-production, expected ​to be sealed after technical ‌and commercial negotiations, are yet to be made public. Indian media reports have ‌said that the 114 jets manufactured by Dassault Aviation are expected to cost 3.25 trillion rupees ($35.65 billion).

They have also reported that up to 90 of the 114 jets could be produced in India with a joint venture partner ‌who is yet to be identified.

“Rafale is absolutely key,” Macron said. “I hope we will do it on submarines. We ⁠offered additional ⁠capacities.”

The Indian navy operates six French Scorpene submarines and local media reports say there are plans to order more.

On Tuesday, Macron and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the first H125 helicopter assembly line, made in India by a joint venture between Airbus and Tata Advanced Systems, as well as a plan to jointly produce HAMMER missiles in India, by Safran and India’s state-owned Bharat Electronics.

Rafale jets flown by the Indian Air Force were in the spotlight during India’s conflict with Pakistan last May.

Reuters reported that Pakistan’s Chinese-made J-10C jets shot down at least ​one Rafale, citing US officials.

New ​Delhi has confirmed losses in the air but has not acknowledged a Rafale being shot down.