ISLAMABAD: The United States Educational Foundation in Pakistan (USEFP) said on Friday it encouraged Pakistani students to choose American universities, adding that US-funded exchange programs, including the Fulbright scholarship, remained operational despite broader aid cuts under President Donald Trump.
The statement comes amid rising concern over the cancelation of student visas in the US, which has led to the abrupt departure of hundreds of international students.
Some universities reported that students were asked to leave immediately after learning, in some cases via text or email, that their visas had been revoked.
Several social media posts suggested recently Pakistani students were among those affected, prompting the country’s foreign office to say a day earlier it was seeking details from its missions in the US and would offer assistance to those impacted.
“The United States and USEFP remain committed to promoting the strong and enduring people-to-people ties between the United States and Pakistan,” USEFP said in a statement. “The United States proudly hosts 11,000 Pakistani students at US universities, and we encourage Pakistanis to continue to choose the United States for higher education opportunities.”
The organization clarified that 54 Pakistani students currently studying in the US under the Global Undergraduate Exchange Program would complete their education as planned and continue receiving stipends and related benefits.
“A number of US Government-funded exchange programs remain in place and are available to Pakistanis, including the Fulbright Program,” the statement added. “Fulbright participants in the United States continue to receive their stipends. Assertions that the Fulbright Program has been terminated or that students will be left stranded in the United States are false.”
However, USEFP said the US Department of State was conducting a global review of exchange programs to align them more closely with the new administration’s priorities and would share updates as available.
US education body urges Pakistani students to choose American universities amid visa concerns
https://arab.news/9hytm
US education body urges Pakistani students to choose American universities amid visa concerns
- USEFP says Pakistani students currently in the US will complete their education, continue to receive stipends
- It says several US government-funded programs, including the Fulbright scholarship, still remain in place
Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official
- Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy
- The Afghan Taliban authorities accuse Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the airstrikes
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s airstrikes in Afghanistan destroyed seven Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) camps and killed over 80 militants, a Pakistani security official said on Sunday, with the Afghan Taliban accusing Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.
Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy. Authorities say the attacks, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, were carried out by the TTP and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this.
According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.
“Last night, Pakistan’s intelligence-based air strikes destroyed seven centers of Fitna Al-Khawarij TTP in three provinces of Nangarhar, Paktika and Khost, in which more than eighty Khawarij (TTP militants) have been confirmed killed, while more are expected,” a Pakistani security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Arab News.
An earlier statement from Pakistan’s information ministry said the targets included a camp of a Daesh regional affiliate, the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), which claimed a suicide bombing at an Islamabad Shiite mosque that killed 32 people this month.
In an X post, Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.
“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”
The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes.
In a post on X, Afghanistan’s foreign ministry said it had summoned Pakistan’s charge d’affaires to Afghanistan Ubaid-ur-Rehman Nizamani and lodged protest through a formal démarche in response to the Pakistani military strikes.
“IEA-MoFA (The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs) vehemently condemns the violation of Afghanistan’s airspace and the targeting of civilians, describing it as a flagrant breach of Afghanistan’s territorial integrity & a provocative action,” it said in a statement.
“The Pakistani side was also categorically informed that safeguarding Afghanistan’s territorial integrity is the religious responsibility of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan; henceforth, the responsibility for any adverse consequences of such actions will rest with the opposing side.”
Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.
Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.










