Kremlin says visit of senior Russian negotiator to US this week ‘possible’

Kirill Dmitriev’s visit would be the first of a senior Russian official to the US since Moscow launched its offensive on Ukraine in February 2022. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 02 April 2025
Follow

Kremlin says visit of senior Russian negotiator to US this week ‘possible’

  • Kirill Dmitriev took part in Russia-US talks in Saudi Arabia in February
  • President Vladimir Putin appointed Dmitriev as the Kremlin’s international economy envoy in February

MOSCOW: The Kremlin on Wednesday said that its negotiator Kirill Dmitriev could visit the United States this week, as US media reported he is expected in Washington to meet Donald Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff.
Dmitriev took part in Russia-US talks in Saudi Arabia in February and his visit would be the first of a senior Russian official to the United States since Moscow launched its offensive on Ukraine in February 2022.
“Yes, I confirm. This visit may be possible. We are continuing to talk to the Americans. I will not give more concrete (details),” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters when asked about media reports on the visit.
President Vladimir Putin appointed Dmitriev as the Kremlin’s international economy envoy in February as Moscow seeks to warm ties with Washington during Donald Trump’s presidency.
Russia is hoping for an easing of massive sanctions on its economy under Trump.
His visit to the United States would come as both Russia and Ukraine have accused each other of violating agreements brokered by Washington officials in Saudi Arabia in March.
Citing sources, CNN reported that the United States temporarily lifted sanctions against Dmitriev to allow his visit.
Writing on social media, Dmitriev said “maybe” in a post in which he shared a link to the CNN report.
Witkoff has previously traveled to Russia to meet Putin.
Europe and Kyiv fear the Trump administration could strike a deal with Moscow on Ukraine or lift sanctions on the Russian economy in a bid to force a ceasefire on terms favorable to Russia.


Missiles pound Ukraine capital ahead of Russian invasion anniversary

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Missiles pound Ukraine capital ahead of Russian invasion anniversary

  • Kyiv has faced waves of overnight strikes in recent weeks as Moscow has intensified its winter assaults
  • The strikes also prompted heightened vigilance across Ukraine’s western border
KYIV: Explosions rocked Kyiv before dawn on Sunday after officials warned of a ballistic missile attack, just two days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s invasion.
AFP journalists in the capital heard a series of loud blasts beginning around 4:00 a.m. (0200 GMT), shortly after an air raid alert was issued.
“The enemy is attacking the capital with ballistic weapons,” the head of Kyiv’s military administration Tymur Tkachenko said on Telegram, urging people to remain in shelters.
The air force later extended the alert nationwide, warning of a broader missile threat.
Kyiv, regularly targeted by Russian missile and drone attacks since the start of the invasion on Feb. 24, 2022, has faced waves of overnight strikes in recent weeks as Moscow has intensified its winter assaults on energy and military infrastructure.
Temperatures had plunged to nearly minus 10C when the capital was struck again, with emergency services deployed across the city.
Tkachenko later said the attacks had caused a fire on the roof of a residential building.
The strikes also prompted heightened vigilance across Ukraine’s western border.
Poland’s Operational Command said early Sunday it was scrambling jets after detecting “long-range aviation of the Russian federation conducting strikes on the territory of Ukraine.”
It also came hours after blasts in Lviv, a western city near the Polish border that rarely sees deadly attacks.
Explosions ripped through a central shopping street around 12:30 am (2230 GMT Saturday), killing a policewoman and injuring 15 people after officers responded to a reported break-in.
“This is clearly an act of terrorism,” mayor Andriy Sadovyi said, offering no details on perpetrators.
Such attacks far from the front line have become more frequent over the past two years.
Four years of war
Ukraine will mark four years since Russia’s assault on Feb. 24, 2022, a withering war that has shattered towns, uprooted millions and killed large numbers on both sides.
Moscow occupies close to a fifth of Ukrainian territory and continues to grind forward in places, especially in the eastern Donbas region, despite heavy losses and repeated Ukrainian strikes on logistics.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Friday that Ukraine “is definitely not losing” the war and that victory remains the goal.
He said Ukrainian forces had clawed back about 300 square kilometers (116 square miles) of territory in recent counterattacks, gains AFP could not immediately verify.
If confirmed, they would be Kyiv’s most significant advances since 2023.
Sweeping outages of Starlink Internet terminals across the Ukraine front, shut down by owner Elon Musk following a plea from Kyiv, have enabled the push, according to Zelensky.
The bombardment also came amid a diplomatic push by Washington to end the four-year war.
Ukrainian, Russian and US envoys have met several times since January, but without a breakthrough.
Zelensky, under mounting pressure from Washington to consider concessions, plans consultations with European leaders in the coming days and wants deeper involvement from Middle Eastern states and Turkiye.