Iraq gives British Petroleum final green light to redevelop Kirkuk oilfields

Iraqi PM Mohammed Shia al-Sudani (back-C) attends the signing of the Kirkuk oilfield development contract with British Petroleum (BP) in the presence of Iraq's Oil Minister Hayan Abdul-Ghani (C-R) and BP's CEO Murray Auchincloss (C-R)in Baghdad on March 26, 2025. (Handout photo via AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 March 2025
Follow

Iraq gives British Petroleum final green light to redevelop Kirkuk oilfields

  • First phase of project will cover their Baba and Avanah domes and three adjacent fields
  • British Petroleum helped to discover the giant Kirkuk oilfields in the 1920s

 

LONDON: BP has received final government approval for the redevelopment of Iraq’s giant Kirkuk oil fields, with an initial plan to produce 3 billion barrels of oil equivalent, the company said on Wednesday.
The project is a breakthrough for Iraq, where output has been constrained by years of war, corruption and sectarian tensions, and a cornerstone of BP’s drive to refocus on its oil and gas business and away from renewables.
Tuesday’s signing of a final agreement on the project between BP CEO Murray Auchincloss and Iraq’s Prime Minister Mohammed Shia Al-Sudani follows an initial deal signed last month and a memorandum of understanding last year.
BP said its remuneration will be linked to incremental production volumes, price and costs, and that the company will be able to book a share of output and reserves “proportionate to the fees it earns for helping to increase production.”
The first phase of the redevelopment of the Kirkuk fields, which BP first helped to discover in the 1920s, will cover their Baba and Avanah domes and three adjacent fields Bai Hassan, Jambur and Khabbaz, BP said.
A new operator will be set up, including staff from Iraq’s North Oil Company (NOC) and North Gas Company (NGC) as well as people seconded from BP.


Israeli forces demolish Palestinian buildings near Hebron

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Israeli forces demolish Palestinian buildings near Hebron

  • Israeli forces storm Al-Harayeq area south of Hebron and demolish family-owned residential complex
  • The Salhab family said the demolition occurred despite their legal documents proving ownership of the land

LONDON: Israeli authorities demolished a two-building complex in Hebron on Wednesday, near the Hagai settlement in the occupied West Bank.

Israeli forces stormed the Al-Harayeq area south of Hebron and demolished the residential complex that belonged to the Salhab family, using bulldozers, according to the Wafa news agency.

The first building was a three-story structure with six apartments, while the second was a two-story building with four apartments, both housing more than 40 residents. The buildings belonged to Mohammed Salhab and his brothers, the agency added.

Salhab said the demolition happened despite him having legal documents proving the family’s ownership of the land and an ongoing court appeal against the demolition orders.

During 2025, the Israeli authorities conducted 538 demolitions, totaling 1,400 structures primarily in Hebron, Jerusalem, Ramallah, Tubas, and Nablus, according to the Wall and Settlement Resistance Commission.

The Israeli government intends to establish control over the West Bank. It has initiated steps to implement “de facto sovereignty” in the region and introduced measures in February that allow Israel to manage land use in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority and to enable Jewish settlers to exert pressure on Palestinians to relinquish their land.