OPEC+ to proceed with planned April oil output hike

A view shows the logo of Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). (File/Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 04 March 2025
Follow

OPEC+ to proceed with planned April oil output hike

  • The increase is the first since 2022 from OPEC+, which includes the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, plus Russia and other allies

LONDON: OPEC+ has decided to proceed with a planned April oil output increase, the group said on Monday.
The increase is the first since 2022 from OPEC+, which includes the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, plus Russia and other allies. Oil was trading 2 percent lower toward $71 a barrel at 1900 GMT.
Eight OPEC+ members that are making the group’s most recent layer of output cuts held a virtual meeting on Monday and agreed to proceed with the April increase, OPEC said. The increase is 138,000 barrels per day according to Reuters calculations.
“This gradual increase may be paused or reversed subject to market conditions,” OPEC said in a statement. “This flexibility will allow the group to continue to support oil market stability.”
Oil has been trading in a range of $70-$82 a barrel in recent weeks in anticipation of major changes to US sanctions on large oil producers Iran, Russia and Venezuela as well as US tariffs on China that could reduce demand.
Trump has renewed pressure on OPEC to bring down prices, which rallied to multi-month highs above $82 a barrel in January after Trump’s predecessor Joe Biden slapped new sanctions on Russia.
Since then prices have fallen on hopes Trump would help clinch a peace deal in the war between Russia and Ukraine and boost Russian oil flows. However, his plans to cut Iran’s oil exports to zero and the cancelation last week of a Chevron license to operate in Venezuela prevented prices from falling further.
The combination of those bullish and bearish factors made decision-making for April extremely complex, OPEC+ sources have said. They added that Trump’s plans for global tariffs could complicate the outlook even further.
OPEC+ has been cutting output by 5.85 million barrels per day, equal to about 5.7 percent of global supply, agreed in a series of steps since 2022 to support the market.
In December, OPEC+ extended its latest layer of cuts through the first quarter of 2025, pushing back the plan to begin raising output to April. The extension was the latest of several delays last year.
Based on the plan, the gradual unwinding of 2.2 million bpd of cuts — the most recent layer — begins in April with a monthly rise of 138,000 bpd.


Egypt–Saudi power link set to boost regional energy integration, minister says 

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Egypt–Saudi power link set to boost regional energy integration, minister says 

RIYADH: Electricity interconnection projects between Egypt and Saudi Arabia will strengthen regional energy cooperation and economic integration, Egypt’s minister of electricity and renewable energy said during a visit to a key cross-border power facility. 

Mahmoud Esmat made the remarks while inspecting the Egypt–Saudi electricity interconnection station linking the two countries’ power grids, where he reviewed construction progress and equipment testing ahead of trial operations expected in the coming weeks, according to a statement from the Egyptian State Information Service. 

The project is described as the first of its kind in the Middle East in terms of scale, manufacturing technology, operation, and application in grid interconnection lines. 

The initiative supports the state’s broader vision to implement sustainable solutions aimed at ensuring the stability of the national unified grid and enhancing the reliability and quality of electricity supply. 

It also aligns with Egypt’s allocation of 136.3 billion Egyptian pounds ($2.8 billion) to the electricity and renewable energy sector in its 2025–26 development plan, nearly double the 72.6 billion pounds set aside the previous year. 

The plan focuses on diversifying energy sources, expanding renewable capacity, and strengthening the national grid to meet rising demand. 

The statement said: “The minister toured the station’s departments and control and operation center, following up on the completion of testing for all equipment and components in preparation for launching operations and synchronizing the project with the unified power grids of Egypt and Saudi Arabia in the coming weeks.” 

It added: “Esmat reviewed the implementation rate of the project and testing works, as well as the project’s timeline. He highlighted finalization of operational tests at the Badr transformer station and the Sakakin Taba 2 station, as well as the 500 kilovolts overhead transmission line extending approximately 320 km.”  

The minister said the project forms part of broader efforts to build an integrated power network connecting the two countries, facilitating efficient and flexible electricity exchange and laying the groundwork for a unified Arab electricity market. 

He added that the initiative reflects a clear vision and comprehensive strategy to strengthen the efficiency of the energy system while delivering both immediate and long-term solutions to safeguard grid stability and enhance service quality.