Spain men’s coach De la Fuente distances himself from Hermoso kiss case at Rubiales trial

Spain’s player Jennifer Hermoso (L) leaves after testifying about Spanish football chief Luis Rubiales kissing her at the Women’s World Cup trophy ceremony. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 04 February 2025
Follow

Spain men’s coach De la Fuente distances himself from Hermoso kiss case at Rubiales trial

  • De la Fuente said during his brief appearance in court that he spoke with Hermoso only about two months ago at a gala
  • He was at the Women’s World Cup final in Australia but said he did not have any discussions with Spanish federation officials about the kiss

MADRID: Spain men’s coach Luis de la Fuente told a judge in the Luis Rubiales trial on Tuesday that he did not get involved in discussions related to Jenni Hermoso following her World Cup kiss from the former Spanish soccer boss.
Rubiales is accused of sexual assault for kissing Hermoso, the Spain forward, at the 2023 Women’s World Cup final presentation ceremony in Sydney, as well as of coercion for allegedly trying to convince the player to support his version of the kiss. Hermoso says she did not consent to the kiss while Rubiales says it was consensual.
De la Fuente said during his brief appearance in court that he spoke with Hermoso only about two months ago at a gala. He was at the Women’s World Cup final in Australia but said he did not have any discussions with Spanish federation officials about the kiss and alleged attempts to support Rubiales.
The 47-year-old Rubiales and three other former federation officials — former Spain women’s coach Jorge Vilda, former sports director of the Spain men’s team Albert Luque, and former head of marketing Rubén Rivera — are accused of pressuring Hermoso to defend Rubiales publicly in a statement after the incident, which she refused to do.
“Nobody talked to me or asked me about” a possible statement, De la Fuente said.
The coach said that when he visited the federation in the days following the scandal, he only “talked about football” and business related to his position as the men’s national coach.
De La Fuente last week had his contract with the men’s national team extended to 2028.
The judge got angry at one point on Tuesday with the testimony of former federation press chief Pablo García Cuervo, asking him to be more clear with his answers.
Cuervo said he wrote up some of Hermoso’s comments to a local radio station to release them to the media. He said Hermoso asked if they wanted her to do a video with the comments, and he said that it was not necessary.
Hermoso testified on the first day of the trial on Monday and said she “felt disrespected” by Rubiales after winning the Women’s World Cup final and the kiss “stained one of the happiest days of my life.”
The kiss sparked outrage in Spain about the prevalence of sexism in sports and beyond.
Rubiales has yet to testify and denied the charges. He resigned under pressure three weeks later and was banned by FIFA for three years. Rubiales had said he was the victim of a “witch hunt” by “false feminists.”
Prosecutors, Hermoso and the Spain players’ association want Rubiales jailed for two and a half years, fined 50,000 euros ($51,800) for damages, and banned from working as a sports official. They want the other three defendants sentenced to one and a half years in prison.
The trial will continue on Wednesday. It is expected to last at least 10 days. Rubiales attended the first day on Monday.


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.