DAMASCUS: A senior official from Libya’s UN-recognized government met Syria’s new leader Ahmed Al-Sharaa on Saturday and discussed issues including diplomatic relations, energy and migration.
“We expressed our full support for the Syrian authorities in the success of the important transitional phase,” Libyan Minister of State for Communication and Political Affairs Walid Ellafi told reporters after the meeting.
“We emphasized the importance of coordination and cooperation... particularly on security and military issues,” he said, while they also discussed cooperation “related to energy and trade” and “illegal immigration.”
Syrians fleeing war since 2011 and seeking a better life have often traveled to Libya in search of work or passage across the Mediterranean on flimsy boats toward Europe.
Ellafi said they also discussed “the importance of raising diplomatic representation between the two countries.”
“Today the charge d’affaires attended the meeting with me and we are seeking a permanent ambassador,” he added.
Power in Libya is divided between the UN-recognized government based in the capital Tripoli and a rival administration in the east, backed by military strongman Khalifa Haftar who also controls the south.
Representatives of Haftar’s rival administration in March 2020 opened a diplomatic mission in Damascus.
Before that, Libya had not had any representation in Damascus since 2012, following the fall and killing of longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi in a NATO-backed uprising.
It was not immediately clear whether the charge d’affaires had been appointed since Sharaa’s Islamist group Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS) and allied factions toppled Assad on December 8 after a lightning offensive.
Also on Saturday, images published by Syrian state news agency SANA also showed Sharaa meeting Bahrain’s strategic security bureau chief Sheikh Ahmed bin Abdulaziz Al-Khalifa.
No details of the discussions were provided.
On December 14, top diplomats from eight Arab countries including Bahrain called for a peaceful transition in Syria with United Nations and Arab League support following Assad’s overthrow.
A day earlier, the official BNA news agency reported that Bahrain’s King Hamad had told Sharaa that his country was ready to “continue consultations and coordination with Syria.”
Damascus’s new authorities have received envoys from across the Middle East and beyond since taking control as countries look to establish contact with Sharaa’s administration.
Visiting Libyan official says discussed energy, migration with new Syria leader
https://arab.news/6tt27
Visiting Libyan official says discussed energy, migration with new Syria leader
- Syrians fleeing war since 2011 and seeking a better life have often traveled to Libya in search of work or passage
- Power in Libya is divided between the UN-recognized government based in the capital Tripoli and a rival administration in the east
MSF will keep operating in Gaza ‘as long as we can’: mission head
- The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible
AMMAN:The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.
In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.
MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a “pretext” to obstruct aid.
“For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can,” Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.
“Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank,” he said.
Ribeiro added that MSF’s ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.
“They’re not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for time being,” he said.
“We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks.”
In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.
It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.
MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.
Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF’s operations would have for health care in war-shattered Gaza.
“MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza,” he said.
The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.
In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.










