Sudan rescuers say 28 killed in shelling of Khartoum fuel station

A truck waits outside a closed petrol station of the Nile Petroleum Corporation in Juba, South Sudan. (AP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 09 December 2024
Follow

Sudan rescuers say 28 killed in shelling of Khartoum fuel station

  • The government, loyal to Burhan, is based in Port Sudan on the Red Sea coast, where the army has retained control

PORT SUDAN, Sudan: A Sudanese network of volunteer rescuers said that 28 civilians were killed Sunday when a fuel station in an area of Khartoum under paramilitary control came under shelling.
The Sudanese army, which has been fighting the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) since April 2023, has been advancing toward the capital in recent weeks, in a bid to regain control of Khartoum.
On Sunday, a fuel station in RSF-held southern Khartoum was hit by shelling, said the South Belt Emergency Response Room.
The youth-led volunteer group said “28 people were confirmed dead” and “the number of injured reached 37, including 29 burns cases” and some shrapnel injuries.
Early in the war, which has pitted army chief Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan against the forces of his former deputy, RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, the paramilitaries had largely pushed the army out of Khartoum.
The government, loyal to Burhan, is based in Port Sudan on the Red Sea coast, where the army has retained control.
The war has killed tens of thousands of civilians and displaced over 11 million, creating what the United Nations has described as the world’s largest displacement crisis.
In late November, the Sudanese army said it had retaken the Sennar state capital, Sinja, south of Khartoum, five months after paramilitaries had seized it.
Sinja is a strategic area as it lies on a key road linking army-controlled areas of eastern and central Sudan.
The RSF meanwhile has taken control of nearly all of the vast western region of Darfur, rampaged through the agricultural heartland of central Sudan and pushed into the army-controlled southeast.
 

 


Erdogan postpones UAE visit, saying leader has ‘health problem’

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Erdogan postpones UAE visit, saying leader has ‘health problem’

  • Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday announced he was postponing a visit to Abu Dhabi because Emirati leader Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had a “health problem” — then deleted the message
ISTANBUL: Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday announced he was postponing a visit to Abu Dhabi because Emirati leader Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had a “health problem” — then deleted the message.
The message, posted by Erdogan’s team on X, said he had talked with Al Nahyan by phone.
“During the course of the call, President Erdogan expressed his sadness over the health problem experienced by (President) Al Nahyan and wished him a prompt recovery,” said the three-paragraph message.
Erdogan would travel to the United Arab Emirates at a later date, still to be determined, the message added.
Although the message — of which AFP has a screen grab — was quickly deleted from the account, it had already been picked up by official Turkish media.
Turkiye’s state broadcaster likewise took down its article on Erdogan that mentioned the Emirati leader’s health problem.
The official Emirati news agency, WAM, reported on the telephone conversation between the two leaders, but did not mention that Erdogan’s visit had been postponed.
Contacted by AFP, neither the Turkish presidency nor the Emirati authorities — who have themselves made no statement on their president’s health — have yet answered.
The Emirati leader’s team on Saturday evening released photos taken the same day showing Al Nahyan, known as MBZ, smiling and apparently in good health, with Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the emir of Qatar.